Shannon Sharpe had Julio on the phone live on TV and Julio said he was out of Atlanta. Said right now he wanted to win and he wasn't going to Dallas. Nowadays "wanting to win" can't be said without  the Chiefs coming to mind. Veach would have to be able to wave his magic cap wand quite a lot,  but my mind boggles at the thought of Patrick, Travis,  Tyreek, and Julio all lining up at once with our new offensive line! 

7 hours ago, xen said:

That would be some major wizardry.  I dont think even Veach can pull that off.

HB contract and gtg for this year and only $11.5M for the following two years with only $2M guarantees.

41 minutes ago, Balto said:

HB contract and gtg for this year and only $11.5M for the following two years with only $2M guarantees.

HB's contract is probably the key. Not only saves up a lot of cap but also locks down the position for quite a while. Due to his tweet a couple weeks back I'm not sure if it's going to happen but we'll see, might just be something to trigger Veach to start or speed up the talks. Without an extension to HB I don't know if Jones trade is possible without a whole new contract which could mean giving up less draft capital than Atlanta is looking for. 

9 minutes ago, sith13 said:

HB's contract is probably the key. Not only saves up a lot of cap but also locks down the position for quite a while. Due to his tweet a couple weeks back I'm not sure if it's going to happen but we'll see, might just be something to trigger Veach to start or speed up the talks. Without an extension to HB I don't know if Jones trade is possible without a whole new contract which could mean giving up less draft capital than Atlanta is looking for. 

Could also convert more of Pats contract and/or Hills.

11 minutes ago, Balto said:

Could also convert more of Pats contract and/or Hills.

I don't know if there's a way around Hill's contract as he has something like 37-38 for 2 years that's somewhat evenly balanced. With 2 years to go they probably won't look into an extension due to injury risks and such. Mahomes' contract is the more likely source of cap space if they want to go that route. 

6 hours ago, Balto said:

15M this year plus draft capital.  Would probably require Julio to restructure and add a dummy year or 2 as hard to restructure with only 3 years.   Who knows if he's open to that.  Some guys don't like the dummy years.

1 hour ago, xen said:

15M this year plus draft capital.  Would probably require Julio to restructure and add a dummy year or 2 as hard to restructure with only 3 years.   Who knows if he's open to that.  Some guys don't like the dummy years.

SPFD has enjoyed dummy years his whole life.

Not that it means much but AJ Brown and Henry are actively trying to lure him to come to the Titians.  

As far as KC goes I'm not sure JJ is the kind of player Veach goes after to pay big money + draft picks for. Clark was 25 and going into his prime, OBJ 24 and entering his prime,  guys that Veach paid big money to get, Watkins was 24 or 25 when he came to KC Honey Badger was 25 26 when he came to KC.   The only caveat to this was Trent Williams but no draft picks were going to be involved plus i think the line situation was much worse than finding a WR2.  Even Ju Ju who KC went after was 24 vs 32.  That 15 mill that is guaranteed is paying for past performance which is something you don't do. The value isn't there. I think  what KC did with the line has a chance to have a bigger impact than JJ would. 

1 hour ago, Okiechief1 said:

Not that it means much but AJ Brown and Henry are actively trying to lure him to come to the Titians.  

As far as KC goes I'm not sure JJ is the kind of player Veach goes after to pay big money + draft picks for. Clark was 25 and going into his prime, OBJ 24 and entering his prime,  guys that Veach paid big money to get, Watkins was 24 or 25 when he came to KC Honey Badger was 25 26 when he came to KC.   The only caveat to this was Trent Williams but no draft picks were going to be involved plus i think the line situation was much worse than finding a WR2.  Even Ju Ju who KC went after was 24 vs 32.  That 15 mill that is guaranteed is paying for past performance which is something you don't do. The value isn't there. I think  what KC did with the line has a chance to have a bigger impact than JJ would. 

I would rather have AJ Brown.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

he's going to be let go as his salary puts the Falcons wayyyy over the cap. his draft pick worth is no better than a 5th rnder at best

They really can’t afford to release him.  It’s trade or keep 

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

I wouldn’t consider his contract “big money”.  We all know that Veach likes to look at an entire contract and not just the first year hit.  Julio’s contract is basically 3 years at $17M guaranteed.  Yes $15M of that is in year 1 but that gives Veach a ton of lead way over the next two with only $2M in guarantees.  

Yes Veach has generally gone after players in their prime but can’t you say that about all 32 teams?  Not many teams only looking at 32+ year old players and I think more importantly the take away should be that Veach has shown to be a very very aggressive GM when it comes to trades/free agents.  Generally Veach goes and pays up for what he wants.

This past season was really the only time Julio missed a lot of games.  Even before that he had some banged up seasons but still produced as a top 5 WR.  Being in KC Julio won’t have to push it at a 110% and should help him push out his career.  Even the games Julio played in last season before injury would of made him a top 5 WR if you spread those games out for a season.  He still has plenty in the tank.  Veach paid Sammy over $20M a year so I don’t think he is worried about paying for past performance when Sammy has never done enough to get what Veach paid him...but again having a above avg #2 seems like a huge need in Veach’s plan.

It does seem like Veach might be more worried short term at WR than long term as he only offered juju a $11M 1 year contract making me think why not offer that multi year contract?  I believe Julio is a much better WR than juju and only paying an extra $4M shouldn’t matter and yes I agree that draft picks and/or player that Veach has to give up to get Julio is the biggest issue.

‘Rumors are they want a 1st....some think it will come down to a 2nd.....reports are they already passed up on a 3rd that could turn into a 2nd if Julio plays 10+ games.  The disadvantage we have is being so good and picking at the end of each round.  Our 1st is another bad teams 2nd and so on.  I really don’t see Veach giving up a 1st even if he seems to hate 1st round picks and loves to trade them for proven players.  I think Veach is looking at our 2nd+player, maybe Hardman.  I’d love to see a Brown jr type trade and give up our 1st+Hardman and get the Falcons 2nd back.  

I agree 1000% about the OL just helping everyone but we are a Super Bowl or bust team.  Gaining a talent like Julio only improves are chances and mostly protects the way Veach/Reid want to play.  If Hill goes down we have no one that can step up atm.  Julio gives us a top 5 WR as our #2 guy and also insurance in case a injury happens.

Im all in on this idea!  Plus it evens out the world because we sent them Tong G.