Honey Badger on an extension

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/tyrann-mathieu-negotiating-contract-tough-125236391.html

A couple of weeks ago, safety Tyrann Mathieu replied to a tweet asking if he was going to sign an extension with the Chiefs by saying, “Probably not. Been here before. All good.”

But he then deleted the post.

So when Mathieu addressed the media for the first time since expressing his pessimism something would get done, Mathieu was naturally asked about it.

“I think, first off, I delete a lot of tweets,” Mathieu said Thursday, via Sam McDowell of the Kansas City Star. “If I’m a fan, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that.

“I think people that know me, they know where my heart is at. I can’t control everything. So for me, it’s just all about just trying my best to kind of focus on the things I can control. That’s just coming to work every day trying to make the dudes around me better.”

Mathieu has certainly made the Chiefs’ defense better since his arrival in 2019, helping power the team to a Super Bowl victory and another Super Bowl appearance.

But the three-year, $42 million deal he signed as a free agent will be up after the 2021 season. While Chiefs General Manager Brett Veach said last month that he expected potential extension talks with Mathieu to pick up later this summer, it’s not always easy to wait.

“I think the negotiation process, I think it’s tough on anybody, especially the player,” Mathieu said. “But like I said, I try not to focus on it too much. I think I’m a fairly optimistic guy. I try my best to look out the bright side of the window.

“This is my third franchise. I understand the business. I’m grown enough to understand it. I think I’m mature enough to understand it. But I’m also mature enough to understand there’s still a lot of work that I gotta put in, [and] that needs to be put it, and just let God handle everything else.”

Mathieu has recorded 10 interceptions, 21 passes defensed, and 2.0 sacks in two seasons with Kansas City. A third-round pick in the 2013 draft, He has 23 career interceptions across eight seasons with Arizona, Houston, and Kansas City.

Tyrann Mathieu: Negotiating a contract is tough on anybody, especially the player originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

I expected him to be the first contract to be taken care of as it saves tremendous money right away, considering the moves made it was a no brainer. However Veach waiting on this one means either HB is demanding a huge deal or they always planned on the moves they already made and HB was simply a summer issue. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

I expected him to be the first contract to be taken care of as it saves tremendous money right away, considering the moves made it was a no brainer. However Veach waiting on this one means either HB is demanding a huge deal or they always planned on the moves they already made and HB was simply a summer issue. 

Nflpa just agreed to a salary cap ceiling for next year so likely they're just getting their ducks in a row so they have a better idea what they can do.

1 minute ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Question, the dude is a game changer and makes everyone better. He's 29 now, how many years would you offer if GM and how many years would demand if your are HB? 

4 years. I bet they do 4 but the last year will be a minimal hit if cut or for pay. 

Best safety in the league for this D. Probably in the league period. I think he led picks and his work in the box is ridiculous. Can play deep, rush the passer, play slot and do it all well. I think I would also put as one of the best free agent signing ever.

4 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Question, the dude is a game changer and makes everyone better. He's 29 now, how many years would you offer if GM and how many years would demand if your are HB? 

If I was GM I would push for 5 with team voidable years.  That would let me get through the next 2 years until the cap explodes.  Make year 4 something I could live with and backload it so I can cut early if I have to.

If I was HB I'd want 3 with guarantees so I can get another payday after the cap explodes.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

If I was GM I would push for 5 with team voidable years.  That would let me get through the next 2 years until the cap explodes.  Make year 4 something I could live with and backload it so I can cut early if I have to.

If I was HB I'd want 3 with guarantees so I can get another payday after the cap explodes.  

Yup I saw the report of 2023 probably being a huge cap increase.  

• 3 weeks later...

There was some video about how a 5-year NFL contract is actually worth 3 so that's what I would go with for HB. I believe Thornhill will be a keeper but having 2 great safeties in such a pass oriented league is very critical. I don't know when the Chiefs will be in a situation to let FAs leave due to cap issues but as long as we have time for that HB is a guy that should stick around.