16 hours ago, sith13 said:

I'm not worried about LB as much as CB. I don't like Hitchens but that's primarily because he never lived up to his contract, still he's a serviceable player. Gay looked great in quite a few plays last year but never earned a spot for whatever reason. Bolton looks like a beast in his college tape. Overall I think we have 3 guys that could form up a solid group with a full offseason of working together. We still need some guys to come in as rotational pieces but at least there's starting level talent at LB. 

Can't say I really understand this. Our LB corps has been among the least athletic, talented and  productive groups in the league for several years now. In the meantime, our corners have pretty much balled out. Unless you think the addition of Bolton and the subtraction of Breeland is gonna completely change everything?

44 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Interesting that you see a 3 lb set as the base. I feel like we stick with 2 lb and 3 safeties as our base. But I agree Hit h and Gay in the 2 lb sets. I also wouldn’t be surprised if Bolton is the starting Mike by mid November. 
Also surprised that the majority think Gay will be the Will. We don’t use a Will much. Seemed like he got reps at Sam last year and they let the starting Sam walk. Wouldn’t make much sense accept for few 3 lb area we use. Most of the time I think Dan is over there helping Ward on those short inside routes. 

Gay had the one of the highest coverage grades of any player in college football the year he was drafted. Not any LB. Any player. Will is your best coverage LB and much more likely to be a 3 down player in today's game. Sam is the position being used less and less. I see Bolton at Sam early and Gay Jr at Will.

12 hours ago, jetlord said:

You're right.  Just a matter of terminology.  Base is the traditional 4-3 which the Chiefs will use less than 30% of the time.  Two LB defenses are more common in Spags' defense. 

Maybe, that was based on the lack of talent vs preference? Spags adjusted based on what he had to work with? 

19 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Can't say I really understand this. Our LB corps has been among the least athletic, talented and  productive groups in the league for several years now. In the meantime, our corners have pretty much balled out. Unless you think the addition of Bolton and the subtraction of Breeland is gonna completely change everything?

There's talent at LB assuming Gay can play and I'm really high on Bolton from the reports. We'll likely have 3 solid LBs this year and most of the time we use 2 at the same time. At CB we have talented youngsters but besides Sneed and Fenton I'm not really sold on the rest as solid players. Breeland has been an idiot but he has been trustworthy whenever on the field. Ward and Baker are question marks and we don't really have enough sample size for BoPete. 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

There's talent at LB assuming Gay can play and I'm really high on Bolton from the reports. We'll likely have 3 solid LBs this year and most of the time we use 2 at the same time. At CB we have talented youngsters but besides Sneed and Fenton I'm not really sold on the rest as solid players. Breeland has been an idiot but he has been trustworthy whenever on the field. Ward and Baker are question marks and we don't really have enough sample size for BoPete. 

Didn't the Chiefs pick up a slot corner (Hughes?) in FA that allows them to move Snead to the outside or even Fenton?  Agree that BoPete probably isn't ready to play a role this year.  

18 hours ago, sith13 said:

Yeah I get that. I think Sneeds development along with Bakers upside is what allowed them to feel comfortable letting Breeland walk. I think Baker is going to surprise a lot of people and take Wards job in short order.

Ward may not be the shutdown guy we hoped for but as depth he is about as good as you could ask for. 2 yr starter on 2 SB teams...

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah I get that. I think Sneeds development along with Bakers upside is what allowed them to feel comfortable letting Breeland walk. I think Baker is going to surprise a lot of people and take Wards job in short order.

Ward may not be the shutdown guy we hoped for but as depth he is about as good as you could ask for. 2 yr starter on 2 SB teams...

Ward really sticks to his receiver, like Breeland did, making it hard for them to breathe.  The problem with both was that that type of play made them both handsy and susceptible to PI calls, especially when the appearance was manipulated by an experienced veteran receiver.  But I'll take that.  I would have liked to see both of them on the team, but if having to pick between the two, the personal questions and price made Ward a no brainer compared to Breeland.  I'd like to see Ward with more ball awareness, though...and turn his head.  He doesn't and doesn't have interceptions I can recall. Stick like glue a little less but  be prepared to grab the ball like Marcus Peters was.

One thing about it, the addition of Bolton and development of Gay should give Spags the option. I think he will not run much 3 lb sets but it will be fun to watch and see. Cleveland opening day with there running game will be a tempting opportunity to get 3 lbs on the field more often.