Can't believe the Chiefs would offer Breeland $7 million.  I heard something like a one year deal for $3 million which is fair for an average CB who can't stay out of trouble.  Either the Chiefs were playing chicken with Breeland or they think Baker will be healthy and effective.  

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Can't believe the Chiefs would offer Breeland $7 million.  I heard something like a one year deal for $3 million which is fair for an average CB who can't stay out of trouble.  Either the Chiefs were playing chicken with Breeland or they think Baker will be healthy and effective.  

I can't believe it, either. I wish he had taken 3 million, but the biggest priority for the Chiefs right now is having to extend Mathieu. As you say, Baker could end up better than Breeland eventually. Have to play him to see.

30 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Will miss his sticks on ball carriers. Best tackling corner we've had in years...maybe cuz we had Peters before haha.

I think Snead and Fenton are pretty physical corners.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

He was above average. True tackler out there, not afraid to go in. 

4 hours ago, the Warparty said:

^Ditto, but I am kinda salty about the holding call that wiped out HBs int in the SB

He stuck like glue to receivers.  The only problem is that he stuck like glue to receivers. He would have been a nice piece to have back, though.

One of the things that would have made Breeland valuable in '21 was that he has played in the system 2 years already and knows it. From what I understand Spags' system is pretty complex and not everyone gets it. We shall see who emerges but don't rule out a cheap vet signing before the season starts.

I think one guy that rarely gets mentioned, and should be, is Thornhill. I think he has star potential and he will take a big leap in his play this year. One year removed from his injury and getting more comfortable in his third year will allow him to make many more plays. Many forget he played some CB in college and he can cover very well. I think his play will make up for the loss of Breeland and I would bet that Veach feels the same since he didn't draft a CB. A good deep safety covers up a lot of misplays by a young CB corps. 

2 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

I think one guy that rarely gets mentioned, and should be, is Thornhill. I think he has star potential and he will take a big leap in his play this year. One year removed from his injury and getting more comfortable in his third year will allow him to make many more plays. Many forget he played some CB in college and he can cover very well. I think his play will make up for the loss of Breeland and I would bet that Veach feels the same since he didn't draft a CB. A good deep safety covers up a lot of misplays by a young CB corps. 

Started as a beast but the timing of the injury really screwed his sophomore season. With a full offseason of healthy training I think he bounces back to his pre-injury form soon and improve on that in 2021. I don't think he'll move elsewhere, no need to disrupt a solid presence in a position where the next man up is Sorensen. 

On 6/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, dhitter said:

One of the things that would have made Breeland valuable in '21 was that he has played in the system 2 years already and knows it. From what I understand Spags' system is pretty complex and not everyone gets it. We shall see who emerges but don't rule out a cheap vet signing before the season starts.

So...a cheap vet will know the system?

On 6/6/2021 at 3:47 AM, dhitter said:

I don't think the system is complex for DBs or may be Spags adjusts is really well. HB and Breeland were established starters in the NFL but both outperformed their previous careers in KC, Thornhill was a late 2nd pick that started from day one which isn't a surprise but other than these 3 we had a bunch of UDFAs or late picks that started or contributed as rookies. IMO so much instant production wouldn't come without simplicity. 

It could all be good talent evaluation or targeting the right guys but we had quite a bit of jackpots in the secondary for the system to be complex. Not sure about the front 7 though. 

7 hours ago, sith13 said:

Started as a beast but the timing of the injury really screwed his sophomore season. With a full offseason of healthy training I think he bounces back to his pre-injury form soon and improve on that in 2021. I don't think he'll move elsewhere, no need to disrupt a solid presence in a position where the next man up is Sorensen. 

Thornhill reminds me a lot of Ron Parker. That is probably why we drafted Thornhill. Parker was used as a hybrid safety and CB very effectively and was super helpful to the team for several years. Thornhill could turn out a step above Parker, if his smarts match with his athleticism. Spags surely has a plan.

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

I don't think the system is complex for DBs or may be Spags adjusts is really well. HB and Breeland were established starters in the NFL but both outperformed their previous careers in KC, Thornhill was a late 2nd pick that started from day one which isn't a surprise but other than these 3 we had a bunch of UDFAs or late picks that started or contributed as rookies. IMO so much instant production wouldn't come without simplicity. 

It could all be good talent evaluation or targeting the right guys but we had quite a bit of jackpots in the secondary for the system to be complex. Not sure about the front 7 though. 

We use a pattern match system.  It is complex.  I think we just have good teachers.

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

I wasn't recommending the Chiefs move him to CB. I just think he can make up for mistakes made by a pretty young secondary. He has high end ball skills for a safety. I am NOT in favor of Sorensen playing in anything but Sub packages. His shortcomings will get over exposed. 

7 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

So...a cheap vet will know the system?

Maybe I should have added the word "wily" in there. Yes.. .a well traveled vet would be more likely to get up to speed as opposed to a rookie. And it was correctly pointed out that Spags does do things to mask the shortcomings of the CB group with the safeties. Those statements do not void each other IMO.

46 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Maybe I should have added the word "wily" in there. Yes.. .a well traveled vet would be more likely to get up to speed as opposed to a rookie. And it was correctly pointed out that Spags does do things to mask the shortcomings of the CB group with the safeties. Those statements do not void each other IMO.

Good point.