4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Thats setting an example. LDT did not even show up? I think LDT just wants the money and no longer wants to do the work.

A lot of vets skip this part of the offseason, especially those closer to retirement but with so many staff changes I would expect all linemen to show up.

48 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Notice in slide 21 how Demarcus Robinson is NOT looking the ball into his hands.  He's still looking downfield, and the ball is no more than 18" from his hands. Drops on the horizon?

How do you un-teach something like that?

By not playing him

12 minutes ago, Palangi said:

By not playing him

Reid will have to play him some, in situations where his talents work against whatever the D is giving them.  I have always had more faith in him than others who post here, but I am thinking I have just been dumb about this.  A WR can be average using peripheral vision like that as the ball reaches him, but I can say as an old guy that peripheral vision acuity declines a little each year.  Along with the rest of the body slowing slightly each year, and with DRob's mid-career age, I am not seeing much upside here. The one thing the benefits a receiver who keeps his vision wider is seeing people who are about to cream him.  That can decrease injuries. At least we can have a disappointing player who is always available.

4 hours ago, Palangi said:

And he has had plenty of time to plan and get there IF he really wanted too.

True, if his #1 priority was starting at RG, but he gets paid either way and coming to the USA probably means he won't be going back to Canada for the interval until TC.    If he's doing doctor things, that would be a problem. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

True, if his #1 priority was starting at RG, but he gets paid either way and coming to the USA probably means he won't be going back to Canada for the interval until TC.    If he's doing doctor things, that would be a problem. 

And why he just needs to retire and stop holding the franchise hostage to him. 

Too much speculation.  We have no idea what is going on in his life any more than we do a neighbor down the street.  Being a human being, he could have sick parents or siblings, a friend in desperate need with an illness that has unpredictable needs for transportation or care, or even something like a hot girlfriend begging him for one more before he leaves the door. He has football contractual obligations, international border rules, personal relationships, medical career opportunities to evaluate, legal documents to attend to.  Being alive is sometimes harowing, uncertain, and frustrating.  OTA's are optional.  Maybe his pipes have burst and he is waiting for a plumber.  We don't know shit.  The team knows more than we do. These things are facts that football fans cannot consider in their "fan-think."

18 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Too much speculation.  We have no idea what is going on in his life any more than we do a neighbor down the street.  Being a human being, he could have sick parents or siblings, a friend in desperate need with an illness that has unpredictable needs for transportation or care, or even something like a hot girlfriend begging him for one more before he leaves the door. He has football contractual obligations, international border rules, personal relationships, medical career opportunities to evaluate, legal documents to attend to.  Being alive is sometimes harowing, uncertain, and frustrating.  OTA's are optional.  Maybe his pipes have burst and he is waiting for a plumber.  We don't know shit.  The team knows more than we do. These things are facts that football fans cannot consider in their "fan-think."

Ok?

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It's not really the fans job to worry about his plumbing. If we had heard something tragic had happened to him or someone close to him, then most people would be empathetic. 

Until then people are going to look at it from a football perspective. And for me, this is a net positive. The guy is a really mediocre football player, and every snap Smith gets with the 1s is a step closer to having a beast at RG rather than an overrated fan favorite. 

His is a cool story and what he did last year was commendable and noble. But he's also made almost 23 million dollars playing a game he isnt that good at. 

24 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It's not really the fans job to worry about his plumbing. If we had heard something tragic had happened to him or someone close to him, then most people would be empathetic. 

Until then people are going to look at it from a football perspective. And for me, this is a net positive. The guy is a really mediocre football player, and every snap Smith gets with the 1s is a step closer to having a beast at RG rather than an overrated fan favorite. 

His is a cool story and what he did last year was commendable and noble. But he's also made almost 23 million dollars playing a game he isnt that good at. 

Mediocre is right.  I am not a fan of LDT and have never been impressed, but he does have experience and can do all right as a backup.  My point is that we sometimes jump to conclusion about players missing optional practices or missing games due to "personal matters" and really toss off the focus that they are just like you and me. Also, as pointed out, it isn't like walking across the street to get in and out of Canada, especially since the rules changed with the pandemic. He has to go through even more screening, I believe, because of his contact with patients. So a little slack I think is in order.

43 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Mediocre is right.  I am not a fan of LDT and have never been impressed, but he does have experience and can do all right as a backup.  My point is that we sometimes jump to conclusion about players missing optional practices or missing games due to "personal matters" and really toss off the focus that they are just like you and me. Also, as pointed out, it isn't like walking across the street to get in and out of Canada, especially since the rules changed with the pandemic. He has to go through even more screening, I believe, because of his contact with patients. So a little slack I think is in order.

I respectfully disagree. He knew well in advance. He also knows there is competition. Out one year and not participating this year. Appears NOT HUNGRY but hungry just enough to get one more year of KC money. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

I respectfully disagree. He knew well in advance. He also knows there is competition. Out one year and not participating this year. Appears NOT HUNGRY but hungry just enough to get one more year of KC money. 

The last part is a little misleading….he gets paid regardless.  The consequences of his restructure in 2019.   Play or cut we take the cap hit (he has a no trade clause).

Just now, Lamardirts said:

The last part is a little misleading….he gets paid regardless.  The consequences of his restructure in 2019.   Play or cut we take the cap hit (he has a no trade clause).

He could retire. Then there is a retirement settlement. 

3 hours ago, Palangi said:

He could retire. Then there is a retirement settlement. 

Why would he retire?  He gets paid even for spending 17-20 games on the bench.  His pay is more than most folk could even dream of making.  How many could honestly say they would give up the money and just retire if they were in his shoes?  

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Why would he retire?  He gets paid even for spending 17-20 games on the bench.  His pay is more than most folk could even dream of making.  How many could honestly say they would give up the money and just retire if they were in his shoes?  

Zero....BUT I'd gain a lot more respect for him if he did /shrug

5 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I get what your saying Fmbl2187 but AFCWEST has a good point in that the players had dates of when Camp started and he could of planned for that IF that was top of his list.

Honestly I think we should all be yelling at the Media people.  Maybe I've missed so someone please post if so, but with all these media interviews why hasn't anyone of them asked about LDT and when he plans to come back if at all?  You would think it would be a hot topic /shrug.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Which is why there are some asking him to stop holding the franchise hostage.  One foot in one foot out.

Every year this year happens somebody doesnt show up and somehow that turns into more thatn really what it is and the guys desire gets questiined.    Its good message board fodder but that's about it.  He will be the opening day starter.  Veach stayed in contact with him and his agent every 2 to 3 weeks last year i think they have a pretty good idea where his heart and mind are at and they didn't exactly invest much to try and replace the guy. 

He is likely going to have to say good bye to  family and friends for probably at least 7 to 8 months. he might bring some immediate family if its allowed as the border is still closed at least till june 21st for all non essential.  Not going to get onto a guy for that cause I've had to and that ain't easy.  

3 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Every year this year happens somebody doesnt show up and somehow that turns into more thatn really what it is and the guys desire gets questiined.    Its good message board fodder but that's about it.  He will be the opening day starter.  Veach stayed in contact with him and his agent every 2 to 3 weeks last year i think they have a pretty good idea where his heart and mind are at and they didn't exactly invest much to try and replace the guy. 

He is likely going to have to say good bye to  family and friends for probably at least 7 to 8 months. he might bring some immediate family if its allowed as the border is still closed at least till june 21st for all non essential.  Not going to get onto a guy for that cause I've had to and that ain't easy.  

My understanding is that it's easy to travel from Canada to the USA.  The sticky problem is getting back.  Once LDT leaves for KC, which it's reported he did, he might as well stay until Jan or hopefully, Feb.  He's finished med school and is an intern.  It makes sense that he would spend the maximum amount of time doing that.  The question is whether he's staying in football shape and will he be ready to step into his former role.  My hope is that anyone who rises to the level of a SB starter has it within him to want to be the best possible.  Maybe he's average at best.  Maybe he's not 100% healthy the past two years.  Maybe the year off sets him back.  Maybe there's others on the roster that would be better at RG.  That's what Andy is for and all we can do is speculate and complain.  If LDT wins his job back, it's because he's the best option with what the Chiefs have available at the moment.