Quote from Frank Clark

I had to laugh when I  read this quote from Frank Clark:

"Man, I feel like we’re going to have a lot of fun out there,” said Clark. “We’ve got a lot of young guys that are willing to step up. Some guys you don’t even need to name, you’ve got Khalen Saunders, and it’s a lot of young talent."

The reason this is so funny to me is that Frank Clark is, in my opinion,  the biggest disappointment on the whole team. He is grossly overpaid for the production he brings. Then,  when he singles out one teammate to mention by name,  he picks Khalen Saunders,  who is also a major disappointment, as far as production goes! If I  was Veach,  those two names would probably be at the top of my list as disposable. 

Well next year you might get your wish with Clark. highest paid non-QB in the league. #7 overall. He has a lot riding on the year.  Wish I knew more about the stomach issue that has been plaguing him. The talking heads keep bringing it up but not much for details.

Anyone have any data on how much teams doubled and such on Clark?  I'd think normal because teams had Jones to worry about but maybe teams gave extra attention to Clark which opened up Jones, thus also meaning Clarks production went down?

The Chiefs had Clark and Jones and no one else that the opponents had to worry about rushing the passer.  Reed may help that problem and a healthy Taco could bring more.  At the time the Chiefs gave up a first and overpaid Clark, I thought it was a bad deal.  After SB LIV, I didn't much care what he cost.  For the future, it's put up or be cut this year.  Whether it motivates Clark or the line changes make him more productive, we'll just have to see.  BTW, it's too early to give up on Saunders.  If he loses a few pounds, he could still have value, especially if Jones moves to DE very much.  Nnadi, Wharton, Reed, and Saunders might work.  It would also be interesting to see if Wharton could play DE.   

Chiefs defensive end Frank Clark has been very much up and down since Kansas City acquired him from the Seattle Seahawks prior to the 2019 season. Clark has never become that double-digit sack guy that he was in Seattle and while he has been praised for his run defense, the overall team run defense hasn’t improved all that much and you don’t pay $100 million for a decent run-defender and mediocre pass-rusher. In fact, Clark only had a 9.8% pressure rate in 2020 which ranked 53rd among all defensive ends. That has to improve.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs had Clark and Jones and no one else that the opponents had to worry about rushing the passer.  Reed may help that problem and a healthy Taco could bring more.  At the time the Chiefs gave up a first and overpaid Clark, I thought it was a bad deal.  After SB LIV, I didn't much care what he cost.  For the future, it's put up or be cut this year.  Whether it motivates Clark or the line changes make him more productive, we'll just have to see.  BTW, it's too early to give up on Saunders.  If he loses a few pounds, he could still have value, especially if Jones moves to DE very much.  Nnadi, Wharton, Reed, and Saunders might work.  It would also be interesting to see if Wharton could play DE.   

I really like Wharton. He should get more opportunities. 

I was really high on him coming to KC. He looked like a beast in the making but I guess that was simply Wagner making others look good on defense. I still think Clark is a decent DE but definitely not worth the money we are paying him, not to mention giving up picks to get him. He was good in the playoffs during the SB run which is great but could probably get a similar contribution with less investment. 

from PFF

Best and worst NFL contracts for every AFC team: Stefon Diggs, Carson Wentz, Patrick Mahomes and more

Worst: Edge defender Frank Clark — Five years, $104 million ($18.5 million in remaining guarantees)

Trading for Clark in addition to handing him this humongous extension makes the contract even more of a flop, with his $20.8 million per year average ranking fifth among edge rushers. Clark’s 59.6 pass-rush grade since signing the deal in 2019 ranks 117th among edge rushers with at least 100 pass-rush snaps. The other four edge rushers making at least $20 million per year over that same span?

No argument there, Clark is the worst DE contract out there. If he was getting paid as much as a guy like Ogbah there would be no issues regarding him at this point. In fact having 3 guys making 2nd/3rd tier deals would probably lead to a solid DE rotation that increases the overall production. 

Pretty much saw Clark and Jones take over the 4th Qtr of the Super Bowl vs the 49ers.

He also does not line up off sides, had he been here 1 year sooner we would be bitching about 3 years in a row being in the Super Bowl.

I am still pleased he is a Chief.  The guy NEVER quits on a play....

w

44 minutes ago, West said:

Pretty much saw Clark and Jones take over the 4th Qtr of the Super Bowl vs the 49ers.

He also does not line up off sides, had he been here 1 year sooner we would be bitching about 3 years in a row being in the Super Bowl.

w

but he  is not earning his $$  he's being paid to be  much more than he is..hopefully with Reed in and Jones playing DE sometimes that'll help

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

but he  is not earning his $$  he's being paid to be  much more than he is..hopefully with Reed in and Jones playing DE sometimes that'll help

I smell blood in the water. Unfortunately its Clarks. Completely overrated player. Chiefs d-line was simply not real good last year and Clark was the biggest reason. 

Clark’s 59.6 pass-rush grade since signing the deal in 2019 ranks 117th among edge rushers with at least 100 pass-rush snaps. The other four edge rushers making at least $20 million per year over that same span?

i dont know the combination of clark, reed and jones, taco and the other guys.. 

is pretty impressive.  lets see how this looks like  with a couple of big nasty guys in the middle and moving around. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

No argument there, Clark is the worst DE contract out there. If he was getting paid as much as a guy like Ogbah there would be no issues regarding him at this point. In fact having 3 guys making 2nd/3rd tier deals would probably lead to a solid DE rotation that increases the overall production. 

There's no issues anyway. We can get out of his contract and save money after this season. And we've been to the SB the last 2 yrs. So it hasn't prevented us from getting where we wanted to go. And he wasn't the reason we lost the big game.

You could say in hindsight that some of the money used for him could have been better spent on an offensive lineman. But that would mean he wasn't here in 2019, and we wouldnt have won the SB without him. 

The second we earned that Lombardi, the trade and extension was justified.

3 hours ago, West said:

w

Agree

Agree

mmmmmmmmaybe.... maybe not.

His production sucks, even for someone making half his money. His contract hurts us in other areas where we could use upgrades

On 6/16/2021 at 12:17 PM, Holmes4six! said:

There some new blood on defense plus his old teammate in Reed. So let’s see if that lites a fire under his ass. 

I don't think it was a lack of fire for Clark.  He is a guy with a lot of pride, and he wants to earn what he is being paid.  With Reed on the interior, the presence of CJ outside will produce so much pressure over there, that Clark will finally be able to do his thing on the other side.  He has been doubled and maligned as a result, since he came to KC.

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

We can get out of his contract and save money after this season. And we've been to the SB the last 2 yrs. So it hasn't prevented us from getting where we wanted to go. And he wasn't the reason we lost the big game.

can't disagree with any of that... but you're right... his contract is sucking up dollars that could be better utilized

that said, veach & co can't hit it out of the park every time... shit happens

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think it was a lack of fire for Clark.  He is a guy with a lot of pride, and he wants to earn what he is being paid.  With Reed on the interior, the presence of CJ outside will produce so much pressure over there, that Clark will finally be able to do his thing on the other side.  He has been doubled and maligned as a result, since he came to KC.

no excuses this year if what you say it  true

4 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I would like to see how often he was doubled. I recall him many times singled up and not getting anywhere.

I wasn't aware of Clark having intestinal "problems." That can sure sap someone.  I wonder if it is inflammatory bowel disease. A thing like that could put him out of football.  The Chiefs have not exactly had a history of being forthcoming when it comes to player's with medical issues.  Maybe Clark is just day-to-day.  Maybe just year-to-year.  If they are forced to release him, there is probably a lot of dead money. Hopefully, it is nothing like that, and he can become the real Frank Clark with Jones exerting more pressure from the other side.