Bye bye, Rankin

Did not attend any activities including mini camp? 

Chiefs waived LG Martinas Rankin.

Rankin was waived to make room on the roster for Darrius Shepherd. He only appeared in one game last year, starting at left tackle in a Week 17 game that saw a handful of Kansas City's starters resting for the playoffs. Rankin played the left guard position for Kansas City in 2019. He began the 2020 season on the PUP list and was frequently kept off the gameday roster even when healthy. Rankin wasn't going to start for the Chiefs this year but could have been a viable backup at tackle. However, he did not appear at OTAs or mandatory minicamp. If he clears waivers, Rankins will be a solid option at tackle or guard for a team in need of offensive line depth and versatility. 

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

That's unfortunate.  Especially considering Wylie is still on the team

Maybe Wylie has a little trade value and Rankin didn't.  Maybe until the Chiefs are assured that Long will play this fall, Wylie is a possible backup.  By my count, there are still about 14 O-linemen in the roster.  Four or five more will be cut.  

56 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe Wylie has a little trade value and Rankin didn't.  Maybe until the Chiefs are assured that Long will play this fall, Wylie is a possible backup.  By my count, there are still about 14 O-linemen in the roster.  Four or five more will be cut.  

Maybe? 

Wylie is one of those guys you keep around as long as you can just for the familiarity with the system and the starting experience. If we end up dealing with a bunch of injuries by the end of TC I'm pretty sure Wylie will look like an attractive option for the staff. Also if there are no injuries he could bring in a conditional 7th or a player like Ward if some team is in dire need by the TC. 

30 minutes ago, Balto said:

All this talk about Rankin and Wylie makes we wanna throw up.  Blllaaaaaaahhhh

The Chiefs have top tier LT and LG.  They brought in a new starting OC.  They have replacements at RG and RT when they get experience.  Fisher is gone.  You should be doing a happy dance. 

59 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs have top tier LT and LG.  They brought in a new starting OC.  They have replacements at RG and RT when they get experience.  Fisher is gone.  You should be doing a happy dance. 

Oh I’m as happy as a puppy with two peters

Just really never wanna see Rankin and Wylie again

If you can't get on the field with 4 starters out, there is no room for you in this 2021 group. 

I also saw the Raiders signed Darron Lee. Power shift in the AFC West? Honestly it seems most of the moves this time of year are guys that probably won't make the roster.

2 hours ago, West said:

Thanks Xen....I would not think he saw his job as "secure"....maybe he had family things to deal with?

w

I guess he could have skipped voluntary part of OTAs.  Thats dangerous though as Mahomes and HB had nearly all the guys present, where most teams were not running nearly as high of a % of players showing up after the union tried to get players not to go.

More likely he was hurt again?  He does seem to miss a lot of time on the injury list.

We should get answers as this moves along....KC is a player lead team with Mahomes and Honey Badger...

I would think that if the superstars are on the field working - all players would make it a priority.

w