Replacing Wilson

Who replaces Wilson on the strong side. I hear will, will, will when it comes to Gay, but the snaps I remember from him last year were at Sam. And they put a safety over in the will area. I can only think that Gay replaces Wilson, but is Bolton a candidate? He is obviously, I think, going to share snaps at Mike to take over next. Does this put Gay at Sam?

Doesn't Spags run a nickel most of the time?  We know Andy is hesitant to use rookies so that's why I think it will be Hitches ad Gay for the majority of plays and Bolton will replace Hitch next year.  Gay replaces Wilson and should be on the field for both passing and run defenses.  If Bolton is a quick learner or he's been underestimated, then he'll get some of Hitchens' snaps. 

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

Doesn't Spags run a nickel most of the time?  We know Andy is hesitant to use rookies so that's why I think it will be Hitches ad Gay for the majority of plays and Bolton will replace Hitch next year.  Gay replaces Wilson and should be on the field for both passing and run defenses.  If Bolton is a quick learner or he's been underestimated, then he'll get some of Hitchens' snaps. 

Agreed. If we see Hitch and Bolton a lot, it will be a bad sign for Gay. There is an article out now about Hitch being a surprise cut. No way Spags trusts a rookie to call the defensive adjustments. 

18 hours ago, DieHard said:

Who replaces Wilson on the strong side. I hear will, will, will when it comes to Gay, but the snaps I remember from him last year were at Sam. And they put a safety over in the will area. I can only think that Gay replaces Wilson, but is Bolton a candidate? He is obviously, I think, going to share snaps at Mike to take over next. Does this put Gay at Sam?

For the love of all things holy...where is your best coverage LB gonna play? Who is your best coverage LB? What position is on the field in more today's game? Gay is our Will.

The fact they cut Correia should tell you they like what they see from Bolton at SAM. Which is perfect for him this yr. He is an instinctual, run stopping beast. 

19 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

For the love of all things holy...where is your best coverage LB gonna play? Who is your best coverage LB? What position is on the field in more today's game? Gay is our Will.

The fact they cut Correia should tell you they like what they see from Bolton at SAM. Which is perfect for him this yr. He is an instinctual, run stopping beast. 

I would put my best overage linebacker by the TE and use a safety on the will side. I keep hearing that and maybe your right. But we didn’t lose anyone on that side. We lost our started on the Sam side. We played Gay on the Sam side. It is normally a safety over their. So you are saying we completely change the D for Gay? Or are you saying Gay takes on a Niem/DoD role over there and Bolton gets the lions share of snaps?

1 hour ago, xen said:

I think Bolton gets the Sam snaps as few as they are.  Gay at Will.  Hitch at mike for 1 more year.

Is Gay ready to take dime LB snaps is the big question.  I think he plays nickel with hitch for sure.

So nobody replaces Wilson’s Sam?

I guess I consider nickel the base since it is the go to. And what Wilson played in it the Sam. Maybe I am getting caught up in the terminology. 
In the nickel I think Gay is on the strong side. That’s why I am not calling him a Will on most snaps.

6 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I guess I consider nickel the base since it is the go to. And what Wilson played in it the Sam. Maybe I am getting caught up in the terminology. 
In the nickel I think Gay is on the strong side. That’s why I am not calling him a Will on most snaps.

Bottom line:  Gay replaces Wilson.  He, along with Hardman, are the breakout players of this season.  At least we can hope for that.  

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Bottom line:  Gay replaces Wilson.  He, along with Hardman, are the breakout players of this season.  At least we can hope for that.  

I hope you are right.  Would be huge for this team.  Hardman developing would and could put this offense in another stratosphere.  Gay developing could make this defense very effective.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I hope you are right.  Would be huge for this team.  Hardman developing would and could put this offense in another stratosphere.  Gay developing could make this defense very effective.

Sticking with the thread subject, I think Gay has the best chance of becoming a top player.  He has all the skills and not so much experience from college plus he was hurt by the lack of OTAs and preseason games last year.  It took DJ over three years to learn and he was a long term starter in college.  Sometimes fans are too impatient.  Only thing that will stop Gay is if he doesn't have the drive or work ethic.  No sign of that as far as I know. 

20 hours ago, DieHard said:

Are you just talking about Wilson's nickel snaps?  I think all those go to Gay.

Base

Bolton? - Hitch - Gay

Nickel

Hitch - Gay

Dime 

Preferably Gay but who knows if he's ready for that.  May be team dependent.

If we consider nickel as the base scheme then Gay is the obvious candidate but in the 4-3 setup I think Bolton will shine as early as this year. Then again I have been wrong about most rookies in the defensive front 7 in this regime. 

On 7/4/2021 at 8:03 AM, xen said:

Are you just talking about Wilson's nickel snaps?  I think all those go to Gay.

Base

Bolton? - Hitch - Gay

Nickel

Hitch - Gay

Dime 

Preferably Gay but who knows if he's ready for that.  May be team dependent.

That’s what I as well. Hope Bolton gets a healthy number of snaps at the Mike. I am pretty excitatory him. Gay will be nice mobility replacing Wilson and I thought he really looked good in limited snaps last year.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

That’s what I as well. Hope Bolton gets a healthy number of snaps at the Mike. I am pretty excitatory him. Gay will be nice mobility replacing Wilson and I thought he really looked good in limited snaps last year.

I think we're all a little excitatory him 😃