Interesting take on defense change

I like the part of CJ being a DE now.

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/05/kansas-city-chiefs-chris-simms-jarran-reed-chris-jones-nfl-quarterback-runs-play-action-passes/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem_manual&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

One offseason move by the Kansas City Chiefs has largely gone unnoticed, but at least one national analyst is beginning to pay attention.

NBC Sports’ Chris Simms joined Michael Holley on Monday’s guest edition of Football Morning in America (FMIA) while columnist Peter King is on vacation. During their conversation, Holley asked Simms to name a league trend that he expected would be something that everyone will be talking about over the next couple of years.

Simms spoke about how NFL defenses will be adjusting to handle quarterback runs, speed sweeps and the play-action passing game. He evoked what the Chiefs have done this offseason, specifically the free-agent signing of former Seattle Seahawks DT Jarran Reed, as a sign of how he expects NFL defenses to adjust.

“All right, here’s the issue with defenses in the league: Between quarterback runs and play-action passes, they’re getting shredded. You’ve even had teams that can’t run the ball have a lot of success with play-action passes. To combat it, some defenses have brought an extra guy in the box and gone with smaller linebackers who can run. But I think it’s going to go the other way now. You’re going to see more big people up front—300-plus pounders—to stop the run. It will be as if teams will say, ‘Prove to us that you can run against our front four before we bring down an extra guy.’ Tampa did it last year. Look at what the Chiefs are doing now. They got Jaran Reed this offseason and they’re going to play him and [Derrick] Nnadi at defensive tackle. Both of them are 325, 330ish. And Chris Jones at 315 is going to play defensive end. This is why Baltimore and Pittsburgh are always good. Same approach. And those bigs up front will allow flexibility in the back seven to stop whatever it is the defense has to stop. Quarterback runs. Speed sweeps. Play-action passes. It’s going to allow more versatility in defensive game plans. Big teams will have more versatility and the small, fast defenses won’t have the same luxury.

So the signing of Reed doesn’t just allow the Chiefs to play Chris Jones on the edge more frequently, but it’ll entirely change the complexion of the defense. Remember, stopping the run is an area where Kansas City has struggled, even during their Super Bowl-winning season. If this strategy works, you might see fewer “small” sub-packages from the Chiefs with an extra linebacker or defensive back in the box. Instead, it’ll allow them more flexibility to do different things in the secondary, an area where defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo has been known to be creative.

This also signals a paradigm shift in NFL thinking on the defensive side of the ball. Recently teams have opted for that extra defender in the box who can match the athleticism of tight ends, running backs and so on. Simms feels that the defenses who rely too heavily on those types of players will be left at a disadvantage when it comes to defending the quarterback run and the play-action passing game. As a result, we’ll see more teams going big upfront to allow themselves the most play-to-play flexibility on the defensive side of the ball.

“The game is about being game-plan specific now,” Simms said. “The days of saying, ‘We do what we do’ are over. Unless you have that once-every-few-years defense that is stacked.”

It sure is an interesting thought from Simms. The Chiefs haven’t necessarily been at the precipice of defensive innovation over the past several years, at least in the way that they have on offense, so this would be a welcomed change. We’ll see how much the Chiefs utilize that “big” defensive front with Reed, Nnadi and Jones during the upcoming 2021 NFL season. We’ll also see if this actually becomes a trend throughout the rest of the league.

I like this because if it works out, you cut Clark next year. Use that money to resign or extend Nnadi and Reed. Then we have plenty of DE we can see this year and either go FA or draft for one if need be. Gives us a lot of options as we can always move CJ back to dt too.

Honestly I think this whole thing is overblown. I have a feeling we are gonna see Jones at DT almost as much as we did last year. I think our defense is gonna be very mediocre, and depth is going to be a big problem. 

I still think we will go to (and probably win) the SB, but I'm not optimistic our defense is gonna be much better at all. Reed and Gay stepping up, and Bolton catching on quickly could be a big step in the right direction, but you aren't gonna convince me a team that is relying on Sorenson and Niemann as important depth pieces is gonna thrive on that side of the ball. 

At least we will go into the 2022 draft knowing we need WR and then every other pick to be on defense 🤣🤣.

On 7/6/2021 at 12:46 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think our defense is gonna be very mediocre, and depth is going to be a big problem. 

If FC plays to the level he's being paid, we should be fine.  That was a problem last year... lack of pressure up front = more stress on the secondary

Maybe he can brandish a Tech-9 right before the snap. :lol: 

Too soon?

On 7/6/2021 at 1:46 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Honestly I think this whole thing is overblown. I have a feeling we are gonna see Jones at DT almost as much as we did last year. I think our defense is gonna be very mediocre, and depth is going to be a big problem. 

I still think we will go to (and probably win) the SB, but I'm not optimistic our defense is gonna be much better at all. Reed and Gay stepping up, and Bolton catching on quickly could be a big step in the right direction, but you aren't gonna convince me a team that is relying on Sorenson and Niemann as important depth pieces is gonna thrive on that side of the ball. 

At least we will go i nto the 2022 draft knowing we need WR and then every other pick to be on defense 🤣🤣.

Yeah, I'm not sure I like the idea of CJ at DE at all.   He is an incredible player but I feel like what makes him special is his ability on the interior.   I don't think he has enough speed to get around the edge in time.  I'm not saying he won't be better than what we have out there currently but he dominates on the interior.   Kinda like assuming a dominant guard can automatically step out and play dominant tackle.    Hope I'm wrong.    Thought you were spot on with this post luv.

16 hours ago, mex said:

If FC plays to the level he's being paid, we should be fine.  That was a problem last year... lack of pressure up front = more stress on the secondary

Maybe he can brandish a Tech-9 right before the snap. :lol: 

Too soon?

He has never played to that level. Had a few moments in the playoffs. The rest is an accumulation of excuses. Does not WALK/SACK his talk. He has shown what he is. Average at best.

I really don't know what to make of this defense. On one hand you can say, " Gay will be better having a full off-season, Bolton adds an element especially in the run, Thornhill came on strong at the end of last year and should be back to form, Sneed is an emerging Pro Bowl caliber talent, adding Reed helps our interior....

And yet I still feel like teams are gonna run all over us and play action pass us to death. Anyone else?

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

I really don't know what to make of this defense. On one hand you can say, " Gay will be better having a full off-season, Bolton adds an element especially in the run, Thornhill came on strong at the end of last year and should be back to form, Sneed is an emerging Pro Bowl caliber talent, adding Reed helps our interior....

And yet I still feel like teams are gonna run all over us and play action pass us to death. Anyone else?

Every time we feel we made a difference, our D still gets ran on. I will wait and see.

12 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Every time we feel we made a difference, our D still gets ran on. I will wait and see.

Defense just needs to be average for KC to win. It is average. Mahomes contract jumps way up next year so average will be harder to accomplish as the years move ahead. Yes I know, the cap is going up. It goes up for every team. NFL wants offense.

33 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Defense just needs to be average for KC to win. It is average. Mahomes contract jumps way up next year so average will be harder to accomplish as the years move ahead. Yes I know, the cap is going up. It goes up for every team. NFL wants offense.

I'm going to disagree with you slightly on this. Yes it is true the NFL wants offense but I think  Tampa showed the blue print on how to negate  some of the Chiefs explosiveness. Yes of course Andy and Co will figure out how to adapt but I think also the Team needs to be more balanced. JMO  here but  I think  the defense will have to win  a 2-3 games by just being suffocating. Just a feeling I have.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

I'm going to disagree with you slightly on this. Yes it is true the NFL wants offense but I think  Tampa showed the blue print on how to negate  some of the Chiefs explosiveness. Yes of course Andy and Co will figure out how to adapt but I think also the Team needs to be more balanced. JMO  here but  I think  the defense will have to win  a 2-3 games by just being suffocating. Just a feeling I have.

If the blueprint is having no oline and a distracted team and coach, I guess sure.

Like any team key injuries can get us.  There are also worry spots... D end, corner, 3rd WR.  

All in all I like where we are.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Well even getting our run defense to average would be a huge improvement don't you think?

56 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

kinda my point

What? I was saying that I will wait and see on our run defense. That every year we get someone like say Hitchens, we thought we would improve on it. I will wait and see because ours is still atrocious.

35 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

What? I was saying that I will wait and see on our run defense. That every year we get someone like say Hitchens, we thought we would improve on it. I will wait and see because ours is still atrocious.

ok  let me try and clarify.. an improved Defense would equal a improved Run defense. I agree our Run D was atrocious. I'm hoping Reed is that much needed piece of that puzzle.. I'm agreeing withya just  in different language lol

On 7/9/2021 at 9:17 AM, xen said:

If the blueprint is having no oline and a distracted team and coach, I guess sure.

Like any team key injuries can get us.  There are also worry spots... D end, corner, 3rd WR.  

All in all I like where we are.

i think the weakness is LB, corner, 3rd wr and another TE

On 7/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, mex said:

welp... so much for the SB 

The way for this team to win Super Bowls is to keep giving the ball back to Mahomes. I love seeing opposing defensive starters sitting there sucking on oxygen masks in the 4th quarter, while their offensive buddies desperately try to go for it on 4th and 2.