New Data Released Updating Historical Sack Numbers

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

Were sacks simply not tracked prior to 82, or were sacks not officially a thing before 82?  If it's the latter, I think retroactively granting sack numbers are stupid.  JMO

I'm not sure what you are saying the difference is between those two things.  You could tackle the QB behind the line of scrimmage, but that wasn't tracked as a separate stat until 1982.  I assume this is analyzing the play-by-play or whatever in order to try and determine those untracked sacks.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, Lamardirts said:

I’m glad they are doing it.  Recorded or not a sack is a sack and those guys deserve there due.   Crazy to think it was probably with far fewer attempts in a more run first NFL.

Not to mention 14 game seasons back in the day 

On 7/15/2021 at 5:26 PM, moons314 said:

Were sacks simply not tracked prior to 82, or were sacks not officially a thing before 82?  If it's the latter, I think retroactively granting sack numbers are stupid.  JMO

'82 is when they started touting sacks as an important stat... it was really a promotional thing, at least that's how I remember it

Mark Gastineau was the media's sack darling 

1 hour ago, mex said:

'82 is when they started touting sacks as an important stat... it was really a promotional thing, at least that's how I remember it

Mark Gastineau was the media's sack darling 

Yes I believe they became an official stat in 82.  Before that teams tracked it themselves.  Or not depending on if they wanted to.