Barnwell grades the trades-2018-2019

Marcus Peters to Rams

The date: Feb. 23, 2018

Rams got: CB Marcus Peters, 2018 sixth-round pick
Chiefs got: 2018 fourth-round pick, 2019 second-round pick

Rams draft pick became: Part of the package going to the Dolphins with Robert Quinn in exchange for center Brian Allen
Chiefs draft picks became: S Armani Watts, S Juan Thornhill

At the time: This was the first of two big trades by the Rams in the 2018 offseason, as they acquired a star cornerback who curiously seemed to be available on the cheap. Peters had intercepted 19 passes over his first three seasons with Kansas City, but the Chiefs had grown tired of Peters, who had been suspended for a game by the team and reportedly been less than fond of physical contact. Getting Peters without having to give up a first-round pick -- or even a second-round pick in the 2018 draft -- was seen as a coup for the Rams in most circles.

What happened: Peters had an uneven season-plus with the Rams, never looking comfortable or reliable in Wade Phillips' defense. The ball hawk did pick off five passes in 22 games, but the Rams eventually traded Peters to the Ravens in what amounted to a salary dump as they were about to acquire Jalen Ramsey. (Los Angeles did, at the very least, resist the urge to give Ramsey a significant extension.) We'll get to both of those deals later. The Chiefs turned the second-round pick into Thornhill, who has been an above-average safety when healthy.

In hindsight: Win for Chiefs

Dee Ford to 49ers

The date: March 12, 2019

49ers got: Edge Dee Ford
Chiefs got: 2020 second-round pick

Chiefs draft pick became: LB Willie Gay

At the time: The 49ers were trying to build a dominant front four after a season in which their leading pass-rusher on the edge was Cassius Marsh. Ford was supposed to be the piece on one side, with eventual second overall pick Nick Bosa taking over on the other one. I liked this deal for the 49ers, who were getting a guy coming off a 13-sack season for a second-round pick with a relatively team-friendly extension.

What happened: Like the Chiefs, the 49ers made the Super Bowl, but Ford didn't play a big part in their success. He racked up 6.5 sacks in the first 10 games of 2019 before going down with a hamstring injury and playing just six snaps over the remaining six games. He was back in the postseason, but he then missed the final 15 games of the 2020 season with a back injury. He failed to play even 60% of the snaps once during his first two seasons with the 49ers, and San Francisco restructured his contract this past offseason to keep him on the roster. Gay was a part-time player at linebacker as a rookie, but Ford hasn't worked out with the 49ers.

In hindsight: Win for Chiefs

Frank Clark to Chiefs

The date: April 23, 2019

Chiefs got: Edge Frank Clark, 2019 third-round pick
Seahawks got: 2019 first-round pick, 2019 third-round pick, 2020 second-round pick

Chiefs draft pick became: DT Khalen Saunders
Seahawks draft picks became: Edge L.J. Collier, G Damien Lewis, DL Alton Robinson, LB Cody Barton (with a swap of a fifth-round pick for a sixth-rounder)

At the time: The Chiefs were trying to upgrade on the edge by trading Dee Ford for draft picks while using some of their draft capital to get Clark from the Seahawks. Clark was a better two-way player and had a much better health record than Ford, although Clark was going to make much more on hisextension and had been charged with domestic violence during his time at Michigan. This trade was something close to the eighth overall pick by trade value, which I felt was too much for the Chiefs. The Seahawks were getting a significant asset for a player they didn't want to sign to an extension.

What happened: Well, the Chiefs won a Super Bowl, and Clark played a big part during that postseason, racking up five sacks and seven knockdowns across three games. Flags fly forever, and while the Chiefs would have pursued another option on the edge without him, he played a big role in getting them over the hump. This deal can't be too bad with that victory in mind.

With that being said, Clark otherwise hasn't lived up to expectations. After putting up 13 sacks and 27 knockdowns during his final season in Seattle, he has a combined 14 sacks and 29 knockdowns across two years in Kansas City. The Chiefs have already paid him just under $39 million, and while they would have another $18.5 million guaranteed due in 2021, his guarantees could void after the 28-year-old was charged with a felony weapons violation. Clark's tenure has been a major disappointment ... outside of that three-game run when the Chiefs needed him most.

The Seahawks also haven't been able to muster much out of their return for Clark. Collier, the 2019 first-rounder, barely cracked the lineup as a rookie and had just three sacks and seven knockdowns as a 16-game starter in 2020, although he did help stop Cam Newton at the goal line to seal a Seahawks win over New England. The best player of the bunch so far is Lewis, who was a Week 1 starter at right guard and looked like he belonged immediately. This is a weird one to rate, even with the benefit of seeing what has happened.

In hindsight: Slight win for Chiefs

Agree with the first 2, both were clear wins. In case of Clark it's still the premise of SB justifying everything. Personally I don't consider that a good trade keeping in mind the huge contract we gave Clark but as long as a player contributes on the path to SB we can't really complain much as long as the premise is considered a fact.

14 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I wouldn't care if we lost those first two.  I never want to see Peters or Ford in a Chiefs uni again.  

I understand Ford but Peters? He has been nothing but a pro here in Baltimore. Nothing on or off the field

48 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Of the two, I'd rather have Ford.  But I understand that it's possible that Peters has matured since his time here.  

I would give it time and see. Peter's may have matured but give him time. If he stays mature this season I would lean more to him being more professional then.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Peters in Balt has nothing to do with the trade. Bottom line is Rams got rid of him too.

Man, I love when people don't read the whole post.

"Peters had an uneven season-plus with the Rams, never looking comfortable or reliable in Wade Phillips' defense. "

Not sure if it was the defense. Peters started up strong but then drifted away, whatever was bothering him to be an idiot probably kept going for a while with the Rams but may have gotten his head a bit more straight later on. 

On 7/27/2021 at 5:57 AM, Handswarmer said:

I understand Ford but Peters? He has been nothing but a pro here in Baltimore. Nothing on or off the field

Peters had 19 picks for the Chiefs in his three years with the team and they let him go.
Usually a team will try to hang on to a player like that but they happily let him go. 
After one year and 3 ints the Rams jettisoned him too. 
He has 31 ints since his rookie year in 2015 but has already been traded twice. 
There’s a reason for that probably. 
I would guess by the time he got to Baltimore someone told him to clean up his act or he grew up or something. 

15 hours ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if it was the defense. Peters started up strong but then drifted away, whatever was bothering him to be an idiot probably kept going for a while with the Rams but may have gotten his head a bit more straight later on. 

6 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

Peters had 19 picks for the Chiefs in his three years with the team and they let him go.
Usually a team will try to hang on to a player like that but they happily let him go. 
After one year and 3 ints the Rams jettisoned him too. 
He has 31 ints since his rookie year in 2015 but has already been traded twice. 
There’s a reason for that probably. 
I would guess by the time he got to Baltimore someone told him to clean up his act or he grew up or something. 

I couldn't find anything on Peters off the field.

Maybe he just fits in the Ravens organization better then the Chiefs (at the time) and the Rams.

His off the field came with him from his college days. His work ethic and how he was hard to work with etc. I am sure you can search and read up on it. Many said we took a chance due to all this. He lasted 3 years and had Reid as a coach. Can't get much better than that imo to turn it around.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 7:58 PM, kkuenn said:

His off the field came with him from his college days. His work ethic and how he was hard to work with etc. I am sure you can search and read up on it. Many said we took a chance due to all this. He lasted 3 years and had Reid as a coach. Can't get much better than that imo to turn it around.

Houston came to Baltimore because of Peters yapping in his ear about how great it is here. If he was still a punk, you think Houston would have listened?

I feel the Baltimore lockeroom culture is good and tightknit one that players want to be part of. As I feel players around the league would say about kc. Do I believe Peter's is without doubt past his outbursts because of that "Hell No".