Training Camp Updates.

Crazy thought....BUT how about LDT at RT?  He was drafted as a OT, has the size 6'5 325 and Reid has always preached about putting your best 5 on the line.  I was always against it because we had the best RT in the NFL but LDT has to be better than Remmers right?

16 minutes ago, Balto said:

Crazy thought....BUT how about LDT at RT?  He was drafted as a OT, has the size 6'5 325 and Reid has always preached about putting your best 5 on the line.  I was always against it because we had the best RT in the NFL but LDT has to be better than Remmers right?

I thought Remmers did fine at RT last year.  His struggles came when forced to LT in the Super Bowl. 

And if it isn't Remmers I hope Niang takes it.  LDT struggles in pass pro as a guard. That isn't going to change at tackle.  He has a hard time in space and picking up stunts.  A faster DE on an island out wide would give him massive fits.

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I thought Remmers did fine at RT last year.  His struggles came when forced to LT in the Super Bowl. 

And if it isn't Remmers I hope Niang takes it.  LDT struggles in pass pro as a guard. That isn't going to change at tackle.  He has a hard time in space and picking up stunts.  A faster DE on an island out wide would give him massive fits.

Why agree about LDT's abilities I'd actually suggest he has a harder time with the big DTs than smaller DE's but still not great overall.  I agree about Niang and hope he takes RT in camp but him running with 2's at LT makes me think Swing tackle for 2021 season /shrug.  Oh and Remmers wasn't fine at RT or LT in my eyes but I was comparing him to Schwartz which probably isn't fair to Remmers.  I just think if we are truly stuck with LDT and his contract this year he can't be worse than Remmers at RT and MAYBE he actually surprises us hahha

It's disappointing that Niang hasn't grabbed the RT job or at least competed for it so far.  Remmers is a stop gap and not the long term solution.  Maybe, if Long can heal quickly, he would be an option.  Let's just hope the Chiefs can trade Wylie for a future seventh and a ham sandwich.  

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hard to believe Smith is taking first team snaps over LDT already.  Supposedly Smith needed a lot of upgrade to his footwork.  Maybe he's a fast learner or maybe the Chiefs just want to get a good look at him with the #1s. 

when it comes to protecting #15 you look at Everybody!

1 minute ago, KC Warpaint said:

when it comes to protecting #15 you look at Everybody!

True, but it's not usual for the rook to run with the ones while the vet starter goes with the second team on the first day.  Guess we're all just looking for something to break the long down time.  

This is what it should be. Niang and LDT just don’t have the dedication to the game you can rely on for years to come. LDT has a different career path so I see him not being a do or die guy. 
Niang is perplexing. I know my criticism of his opt out is unpopular. Big guys are at higher risk. I get it. You know who was at a much higher risk than Niang last year? Schwartz, Fisher and Os. Older and 10 years of NFL wear and tear on them. 
What they did was strap their helmets on and charge that mountain with their brothers. They may very well have left their careers on the field while their broken bodies were carried off of it. 
THAT is a warrior. THAT is a champion. Niang has not shown any evidence of that. Conclusive? No. But I can understand the staff’s skepticism because I share it. He has a lot to prove if he wants to be a starting RT.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

It's disappointing that Niang hasn't grabbed the RT job or at least competed for it so far.  Remmers is a stop gap and not the long term solution.  Maybe, if Long can heal quickly, he would be an option.  Let's just hope the Chiefs can trade Wylie for a future seventh and a ham sandwich.  

Chiefs know that Remmers sucks at lt. Looking at Niang there makes sense. Plus its his first day, first camp and KC needs a swing guy.

8 minutes ago, DieHard said:

This is what it should be. Niang and LDT just don’t have the dedication to the game you can rely on for years to come. LDT has a different career path so I see him not being a do or die guy. 
Niang is perplexing. I know my criticism of his opt out is unpopular. Big guys are at higher risk. I get it. You know who was at a much higher risk than Niang last year? Schwartz, Fisher and Os. Older and 10 years of NFL wear and tear on them. 
What they did was strap their helmets on and charge that mountain with their brothers. They may very well have left their careers on the field while their broken bodies were carried off of it. 
THAT is a warrior. THAT is a champion. Niang has not shown any evidence of that. Conclusive? No. But I can understand the staff’s skepticism because I share it. He has a lot to prove if he wants to be a starting RT.

Its his first camp.

I think LDT is an incredible human being who can and did make a significant difference outside of football. As an organization, you recognize he's a great person, but also that he's got a foot out the door. You play the youth who you know is 100% vested in the game with tremendous potential. Another health scare comes up, LDT will bolt to serve those in need. Great for society, bad for a professional football team. Smith's position to lose.

37 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs know that Remmers sucks at lt. Looking at Niang there makes sense. Plus its his first day, first camp and KC needs a swing guy.

In a perfect world, Niang would be the starting RT and only move to replace Brown if no one else was available.  Remmers could be the back up.  If the Chiefs are trying to build an elite line, it's hard to see Remmers as an important piece of it.  He played okay at RT last year, but just okay . 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

In a perfect world, Niang would be the starting RT and only move to replace Brown if no one else was available.  Remmers could be the back up.  If the Chiefs are trying to build an elite line, it's hard to see Remmers as an important piece of it.  He played okay at RT last year, but just okay . 

A perfect world? Niang is completely unknown. He may suck. Yes having a better RT would be better. Niang may not be better. Thats why they are in CAMP. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Don't read too much into it.  Some of these guys have been off a long time.  Reid could also be wanting to get Niang reps at LT if the plan is for him to be the backup there.  They always move OL guys around to get practice snaps 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Why.  Niang can probably play both sides.

4 minutes ago, xen said:

Why.  Niang can probably play both sides.

Rather have him as a back up swing tackle than just a RT. Why? If Brown goes down you move him to LT and Remmer takes RT. Hopefully not ecer going to happen we hope, but I do want to get Niang as a fixture at RT.