Training Camp Updates.

4 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Rather have him as a back up swing tackle than just a RT. Why? If Brown goes down you move him to LT and Remmer takes RT. Hopefully not ecer going to happen we hope, but I do want to get Niang as a fixture at RT.

I didn't say he should be a backup.  but he still needs a lot of practice snaps at LT as well as right.  Just seeing people get all judgey about him being on 2nd team and kinda dumb this early.   He's our best hope at LT if Orlando goes down

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

This is what it should be. Niang and LDT just don’t have the dedication to the game you can rely on for years to come. LDT has a different career path so I see him not being a do or die guy. 
Niang is perplexing. I know my criticism of his opt out is unpopular. Big guys are at higher risk. I get it. You know who was at a much higher risk than Niang last year? Schwartz, Fisher and Os. Older and 10 years of NFL wear and tear on them. 
What they did was strap their helmets on and charge that mountain with their brothers. They may very well have left their careers on the field while their broken bodies were carried off of it. 
THAT is a warrior. THAT is a champion. Niang has not shown any evidence of that. Conclusive? No. But I can understand the staff’s skepticism because I share it. He has a lot to prove if he wants to be a starting RT.

It's hard to know Niang personal story as to why.  Questing his warriors mentality over it seems rather judgemental with no basis.  Not to mention if the hip was still healing as well. 

Maybe the organization told him to take it off get healthy and ready to go.  He seemed to stay busy working while out.  

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Rather have him as a back up swing tackle than just a RT. Why? If Brown goes down you move him to LT and Remmer takes RT. Hopefully not ecer going to happen we hope, but I do want to get Niang as a fixture at RT.

Oh I see now.  Sorry I didn't mean purely a backup.  I meant start at RT but still be the 1st guy in at LT if something happens to Zeus, jr.

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

It's hard to know Niang personal story as to why.  Questing his warriors mentality over it seems rather judgemental with no basis.  Not to mention if the hip was still healing as well. 

Maybe the organizing tools him to take it off get healthy and ready to go.  He seemed to stay busy working while out.  

We also don't know his medical history.  

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

It's disappointing that Niang hasn't grabbed the RT job or at least competed for it so far.  Remmers is a stop gap and not the long term solution.  Maybe, if Long can heal quickly, he would be an option.  Let's just hope the Chiefs can trade Wylie for a future seventh and a ham sandwich.  

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

This is what it should be. Niang and LDT just don’t have the dedication to the game you can rely on for years to come. LDT has a different career path so I see him not being a do or die guy. 
Niang is perplexing. I know my criticism of his opt out is unpopular. Big guys are at higher risk. I get it. You know who was at a much higher risk than Niang last year? Schwartz, Fisher and Os. Older and 10 years of NFL wear and tear on them. 
What they did was strap their helmets on and charge that mountain with their brothers. They may very well have left their careers on the field while their broken bodies were carried off of it. 
THAT is a warrior. THAT is a champion. Niang has not shown any evidence of that. Conclusive? No. But I can understand the staff’s skepticism because I share it. He has a lot to prove if he wants to be a starting RT.

Y'all musta got some extra salt on your fries cause you salty as shit.  So judgey.  😀

Doesn’t Thuney have reps at LT in NE?   I’m not gonna read to much into this.  This could very well be a ploy to get LDT fired up and make him earn the job more so than Trey is better LG at this moment or it could be just that.  The fact he’s running with Ones is great regardless.   

That backup line is quite literally a better or at the very least an equal Oline that we trotted out for the SB……that’s an off-season of upgrades I can get behind!!!    Hope they gel and dominate this year!

4 hours ago, xen said:

Y'all musta got some extra salt on your fries cause you salty as shit.  So judgey.  😀

The Chiefs drafted Niang in the third round but he was supposedly a first round talent who slipped because of injury..  His best position is reported to be on the right side.  So I don't see why it's wrong to say it's disappointing that he's not ready to grab the #1 RT position when it's an area of need.  That's not passing judgement on his ability or future, just wishing that the RT position can be upgraded now. 

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

True, but it's not usual for the rook to run with the ones while the vet starter goes with the second team on the first day.  Guess we're all just looking for something to break the long down time.  

LDT has been away from football for about 1.5 years, they might want to see him get back to football speed. Hopefully Smith is the real deal as he was considered a solid prospect with just health concerns but even if he's the insurance policy getting him more reps will likely be more valuable. Besides a lot could change as the camp goes on. 

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Niang. A complete unknown at this time. I hope he is awesome but no way to know. Should have a better idea after day two. LOL

Even though I want Niang to be a starter somewhere it's all about the best 5 protecting the best one in the NFL. I don't know where Niang is at his progression but they could be considering him as a future starter after he has a real rookie season. Coming back from an injury for any big guy is a hassle and he still needs to learn how to play in the NFL.

21 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hard to believe Smith is taking first team snaps over LDT already.  Supposedly Smith needed a lot of upgrade to his footwork.  Maybe he's a fast learner or maybe the Chiefs just want to get a good look at him with the #1s. 

Definitely one or the other.  Been thinking the same thing.  Smith is hungry, talented, knowledgeable, and apparently mean.  The perfect combination.  LIke the rest of the league though, I worry about his blood clotting tendency for the long term. Forgetting about it is kind of a purposeful amnesia. I hope that comes to nothing, but the history shouldn't be ignored.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Niang. A complete unknown at this time. I hope he is awesome but no way to know. Should have a better idea after day two. LOL

Whatever happens with him, some team is likely to get a top 10 player at some point, wherever he ends up.  I hope he gets his opportunity with the Chiefs, but he needs two years to develop.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs drafted Niang in the third round but he was supposedly a first round talent who slipped because of injury..  His best position is reported to be on the right side.  So I don't see why it's wrong to say it's disappointing that he's not ready to grab the #1 RT position when it's an area of need.  That's not passing judgement on his ability or future, just wishing that the RT position can be upgraded now. 

It's early in camp.  Who knows what Andy's plan is.  Personally seeing the rooks run with the ones I think Andy is apprehensive about possibly starting 3 rooks on the line.  Combined with the fact that OT is tougher to play than IOL, plus nearly 2 years off for Niang, I'm not that surprised they're starting him with the 2's.

15 hours ago, xen said:

Why.  Niang can probably play both sides.

You are just all in on Niang. The guy was drafted at the end of the third round. It seems he has lofty expectations from some fans. Hope he lives up to them, but the odds are probably against it. 

35 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

1st team 7-on-7s: Hill, Hardman, and Callaway all on the same side of the formation. 15 finds Callaway on an in-breaking route in traffic Fun to imagine what they can do with all that speed at the same time #Chiefs

Callaway is a name I'd keep an eye one. He can blaze and is swift with his routes.

14 minutes ago, Balto said:

Was thinking Callaway was more of a possession guy not speed?

4.4 guy 

Strengths
  • Feet are light and electric
  • Exceptional athlete
  • Energetic with explosiveness early in his routes
  • Gets away from press coverage with inside or outside releases
  • Too much to handle on slants and crossing routes
  • Creates instant throwing windows underneath
  • Possesses tremendous pure speed and maintains it throughout his routes
  • Torments man coverage if he's allowed to operate in space
  • Has easy speed to fly past tardy-opening cornerbacks and run wide open
  • Athletic leaper with plus agility
  • Can get them high, low or behind him
  • Gave Minkah Fitzpatrick problems in SEC Championship Game in 2016
  • Scored a touchdown passing, rushing, receiving and on both kick and punt returns
  • Electric punt return talent
Weaknesses
  • Has run into troubles off the field time and again
  • Scouts say he is liked by Florida staff but not trusted
  • Loves to compete on the grass but not as enthusiastic in weight room or film room
  • Lacks strength and can improve toughness when challenged
  • Hands are a little inconsistent
  • Routes can become frenzied and hurried
  • Needs to harness explosiveness
  • Slow getting into his breaks due to lack of hip sink
  • Same issue stalls his change of direction as route-runner
  • Gives away his out-breaking routes
  • Despite talent, just seven touchdowns over his final two seasons

33 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

4.4 guy 

Strengths
  • Feet are light and electric
  • Exceptional athlete
  • Energetic with explosiveness early in his routes
  • Gets away from press coverage with inside or outside releases
  • Too much to handle on slants and crossing routes
  • Creates instant throwing windows underneath
  • Possesses tremendous pure speed and maintains it throughout his routes
  • Torments man coverage if he's allowed to operate in space
  • Has easy speed to fly past tardy-opening cornerbacks and run wide open
  • Athletic leaper with plus agility
  • Can get them high, low or behind him
  • Gave Minkah Fitzpatrick problems in SEC Championship Game in 2016
  • Scored a touchdown passing, rushing, receiving and on both kick and punt returns
  • Electric punt return talent
Weaknesses
  • Has run into troubles off the field time and again
  • Scouts say he is liked by Florida staff but not trusted
  • Loves to compete on the grass but not as enthusiastic in weight room or film room
  • Lacks strength and can improve toughness when challenged
  • Hands are a little inconsistent
  • Routes can become frenzied and hurried
  • Needs to harness explosiveness
  • Slow getting into his breaks due to lack of hip sink
  • Same issue stalls his change of direction as route-runner
  • Gives away his out-breaking routes
  • Despite talent, just seven touchdowns over his final two seasons

Thanks for the info, OT

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

You are just all in on Niang. The guy was drafted at the end of the third round. It seems he has lofty expectations from some fans. Hope he lives up to them, but the odds are probably against it. 

Chiefs had a 2nd round grade on him. Dude is supremely talented. I dont think odds are against it.