Training Camp Updates.

One-on-ones observations: Trey Smith ain’t losing his starting job.

Trey Smith is good at this blocking thing. He swallowed Tershawn Wharton in 1-on-1 drill.

Trey Smith has been jumping all the 3T. So the DT goes inside and Trey redirects inside and hammers the DT. You have to love the way he plays

49 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:
Khalen Saunders had a great spin move to get by Laurent Duvernay-Tardif. Saunders also worked Nick Allegretti on back-to-back repetitions.

That's the problem with training camp.  On the one hand, Saunders may be coming along.  On the other hand...

9 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

That's the problem with training camp.  On the one hand, Saunders may be coming along.  On the other hand...

Saunders may be the forgotten guy, but he has flashed two days in a row in pads and just makes the movement of Jones to the outside easier.  Reed, Nnadi, Wharton, and Saunders gives the Chiefs a lot of flexibility.  

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Saunders may be the forgotten guy, but he has flashed two days in a row in pads and just makes the movement of Jones to the outside easier.  Reed, Nnadi, Wharton, and Saunders gives the Chiefs a lot of flexibility.  

I mean that on the one hand, you can argue that Saunders is balling.  Or maybe Allegretti and LDT are playing poorly.  Someone winning a matchup against a teammate could be interpreted either way.  

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I mean that on the one hand, you can argue that Saunders is balling.  Or maybe Allegretti and LDT are playing poorly.  Someone winning a matchup against a teammate could be interpreted either way.  

That's always an issue with TC reports.  Player A dominates player B.  Is A finally getting it or has B regressed? 

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

Hate hearing willie gay is in concussion protocol. And yup Okafor out with a hammy.

I hate that, too.  He is so primed for a big breakout.  This will slow him a bit.  Andy's camps are apparently really tough, full go, and the competition is intense.  It helps us win the early games but also can put guys out for extended periods.  I don't know what is better or worse, but this time of year makes me really nervous.

• Offensive and defensive line drills continued on Wednesday, with left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. having a better day than Tuesday. Here are the winners and losers: Winners (in order): Turk Wharton, Trey Smith, Chris Jones, Mike Danna, Lucas Niang, Khalen Saunders, Creed Humphrey; Losers (in order): Darryl Williams, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Nick Allegretti, Frank Clark.

• Kemp has continued to have an excellent camp, with two touchdowns on Tuesday and a beautiful high-point among three defenders on a deep pass from Chad Henne during Wednesday’s nine-on-seven work. Wednesday also saw Kemp with about 10-15 yards after the catch during the tackle period. Kemp has become a reliable target for Mahomes — as has Hardman.

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes has certainly noticed some differences in Hardman’s approach as he enters his third season with the team.

“Yeah with Mecole (Hardman), the maturity I guess you would say of how he practices, how he goes about his business is completely different,” Mahomes told reporters on Friday. “I mean we’ve always seen the talent; we’ve always seen the speed and the way he’s able to make plays happen. Him being so comfortable with the offense and with just how we do things, I think it’s going to take his game to a new level.

Devon Key could be the next great undrafted find for KC Chiefs.

Devon Key is one young player making waves despite going undrafted as a defensive back out of Western Kentucky. The Chiefs have even had Key in there with the first-team defense at times in practice, and Steve Spagnuolo said it’s just a part of trying him out to see how he looks at various positions. Versatility is going to help Key’s ability to get on the field, especially in the face of potential injuries.

When speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Spags was asked about Key’s presence, and he gave credit to Veach and the Chiefs front office for even finding him in the first place.

“I’ll tell you what, Brett Veach and his guys did an excellent job identifying him,” said Spagnuolo. “He’s an undrafted free agent. I think he’s an instinctive guy. He’s in tune to everything. We’ve got him playing a couple spots just to find out what he’s all about. Really impressed right now. We’ll see what he does in a game. We preface all these comments, right, by the fact that we can’t do anything live, really, and it’s not a game. But right now, I think he’s doing a nice job.”

It’s interesting that Key didn’t get more play in the draft given his amount of experience and size. He stands 6’1, 210 lbs. and he plays with a punishing tackling style. He also was a four-year starter for the Hilltoppers, which is perhaps why he’s been able to step in so quickly. His college offensive coordinator raved about Key’s intelligence to us in an interview earlier this spring, which can’t hurt picking up the mental side of the professional level as well.

In his four year career in Conference USA, Key had 344 career tackles in 48 games at WKU. He also had 19 passes deflected and 6 career interceptions, two of them for a touchdown.