Training Camp Updates.

On 8/3/2021 at 12:16 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

He should watch out for poorly thrown penalty flags. What a freak injury! I hope it does not run in families.

Weird thing is that he sued and won $10 million judgement from NFL

Then came back to play for Baltimore and had to pay it back

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes has certainly noticed some differences in Hardman’s approach as he enters his third season with the team.

“Yeah with Mecole (Hardman), the maturity I guess you would say of how he practices, how he goes about his business is completely different,” Mahomes told reporters on Friday. “I mean we’ve always seen the talent; we’ve always seen the speed and the way he’s able to make plays happen. Him being so comfortable with the offense and with just how we do things, I think it’s going to take his game to a new level.

Hardman showed talent in the last 2 years :o I hope he got his head straight and starts playing football but personally I need to see it in a real NFL game to believe. Too much disappointment over the years with "talent" at WR.

Surprised no team took a shot at Key with that size. It's not easy to find relatively big corners that can tackle. Hopefully he's the real deal, the DBs sure have been performing beyond their draft status with Spags. 

16 hours ago, AFCWEST said:
  • Kemp has continued to have an excellent camp, with two touchdowns on Tuesday and a beautiful high-point among three defenders on a deep pass from Chad Henne during Wednesday’s nine-on-seven work. Wednesday also saw Kemp with about 10-15 yards after the catch during the tackle period. Kemp has become a reliable target for Mahomes — as has Hardman.

Great news!  You never know who is going to pop out and take over the radar screen.

1 minute ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Saw some threads that Sammy Watkins is looking like a beast in Baltimore TC. Sure sounds familiar, hope they enjoy him for the 8 games he plays.  Sure the realization he's depending on a RB to throw him the ball will accelerate his next injury.

Very likely he will be who he has always been. The QB RB thing is a little old. If Watkins is available for the play offs he is a difference maker. Its about playoffs for Balt. So 8 reg season games may be fine. They are not paying him KC money.

13 hours ago, mex said:

When bil asks to meet him for a 'cold one'

make sure he's talking about a taproom

:lol::lol::lol:

It always ruined my day when I was told they had a "cold one" for me.  I hated autopsies.  I loved reading biopsies, staging cancers, and consulting on bleeding and clotting disorders or anything involving blood disorders and leukemias and lymphomas.  Autopsies were just an unfortunate side effect of being a hospital pathologist. I never wanted to do coroner's work, either,  but our group was drafted for that from 1988-1992. After four years of taking my turns at that, I had gotten pretty good at it and at testifiying in court and had a lot of memories and stories from it.  Vivid memories, Many quite funny in a sick way.

31 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Very likely he will be who he has always been. The QB RB thing is a little old. If Watkins is available for the play offs he is a difference maker. Its about playoffs for Balt. So 8 reg season games may be fine. They are not paying him KC money.

Yeah, he was a beast for every team he played for, for the 50% of the time he was available.  Not his fault.  Some guys  are just more susceptible to injury and slower to heal. It's too bad.  He got us a championship.  Can't knock that.

Good reports last couple of days regarding Kaindoh, Key, Wharton and a few others. I try to take these things in stride. The difference between being a body on an NFL roster and being a true contributor is consistency. Don't just look good one day in practice. Look good throughout.....translate it in the preseason. Then I might get excited that your sorry ass is gonna help the Chiefs win when it's real.

One name I've heard little to nothing about (even from beat writers watching the practices) is Frank Clark.

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

Hardman showed talent in the last 2 years :o I hope he got his head straight and starts playing football but personally I need to see it in a real NFL game to believe. Too much disappointment over the years with "talent" at WR.

Surprised no team took a shot at Key with that size. It's not easy to find relatively big corners that can tackle. Hopefully he's the real deal, the DBs sure have been performing beyond their draft status with Spags. 

If Hardman can learn how to not drop a slant when there's 50 yards of green between he and the goal line, that would be a great start.  

Wharton is exciting. A 255 pound DT out of Rolla. At least DT is what I remember him playing mostly last year. Played 48% of the snaps. He would be a legit replacement for Clark. Him and Jones as the bookends sounds pretty legit. Nhadi and Reed inside. He is a handful to block for his size. 

4 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Saw some threads that Sammy Watkins is looking like a beast in Baltimore TC. Sure sounds familiar, hope they enjoy him for the 8 games he plays.  Sure the realization he's depending on a RB to throw him the ball will accelerate his next injury.

maxresdefault.jpg

Key said that the Chiefs coaches have figured that out.

“They know that I’m a quick learner,” he noted. “They kind of demand going in there and learning the playbook as quick as I can — spend time after if I need to. They really just want me to go out there and be comfortable in whatever position they put me in.”

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: NOV 11 Western Kentucky at MarshallPhoto by Steve Roberts/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Likely, the Chiefs had also noted his record with the Hilltoppers, where he became an immediate starter in his redshirt freshman season and started 49 of 50 games during the four seasons he played there. Key said that experience is also helping him.

“The kind of defense we had in college helped me translate to the kind of scheme we’re in with the Chiefs,” he explained. “We had — I would say — a pretty difficult defense in college.”

Still, it wasn’t enough to attract much attention in the NFL Draft. Round after round went by. But then his phone rang.

“Coach Reid called,” Key recalled. “Just that kind of made an impression on me — having the head coach call me. I thought that was pretty nice.”

Reid’s message was pretty simple.

“He just basically said, ‘You know, you deserved to get drafted. You had a successful career at Western.’ The Chiefs didn’t have any more picks left, so he was like, ‘If you don’t end up getting drafted, we’d love to have you.’”

That — and the team’s winning culture — was enough for Key.

“I’ve always said God has a plan for everybody,” he told reporters. “That was just his plan for me.”

Now that he’s in Kansas City, Key is happy with the choice he made — particularly with playing alongside three-time All-Pro safety Tyrann Mathieu.

Key said that he’s getting that kind of help from the rest of the team’s veteran players, too — and he loves the atmosphere.

“They’re just the kind of guys that love football,” he marveled. “I can tell every day — when guys come out here to work. And in the locker room, it’s always ball — just their passion for the game. That’s kind of why I enjoy playing with these guys.”

And Key said that he’s impressed with how the players interact with each other.

“The bond that everybody kind of creates in the locker room is really great,” he said. “They take on everybody — no matter if they’re the first-round pick or [an] undrafted guy — everybody’s just trying to create a bond.”

Key understands there are no guarantees; he’s an undrafted rookie trying to make a roster that’s consistently among the league’s best. He also knows that how he plays in the team’s exhibition games will have a lot to do with whether he makes the squad. So he is focused on that.

“It’s going to be a big moment for me — just going out there and making plays,” he said. “I’m still trying to make the team, so any opportunity I get to make a play is what I’m trying to do.”

• Wide receiver Mecole Hardman beat undrafted safety Devon Key as he caught a deep ball from quarterback Patrick Mahomes for what would have been a touchdown in the day’s first 11-on-11 session. He also had another touchdown later in the day. Hardman continues to put together an above-average camp in the all-important third year.
  • Wide receiver Marcus Kemp looks to have improved his offensive game in every facet, and the key for me this week was that it continues to be the case now that the pads have come on. His routes are solid — and at 6 feet 4, he is a big target who can catch the football. When I wrote him into my initial 53-man roster projection, it was with some hesitation. No more.
  •  
  • That noted the starting interior of the Chiefs (left guard Joe Thuney, center Creed Humphrey and right guard Trey Smith) have come as advertised. In this drill, in particular, left tackle Orlando Brown has not. With Mike Remmers still sidelined, right tackle Lucas Niang improved as the week carried on. Here are the winners and losers: Winners (in order): The starting offensive line interior, especially Humphrey, Darryl Williams, Lucas Niang, Frank Clark, Yasir Durant, Khalen Saunders; Losers (in order): Nick Allegretti, Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, Brown Jr., Jarran Reed, Tyler Clark

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Good reports last couple of days regarding Kaindoh, Key, Wharton and a few others. I try to take these things in stride. The difference between being a body on an NFL roster and being a true contributor is consistency. Don't just look good one day in practice. Look good throughout.....translate it in the preseason. Then I might get excited that your sorry ass is gonna help the Chiefs win when it's real.

One name I've heard little to nothing about (even from beat writers watching the practices) is Frank Clark.

Haven't read much about Kaindoh so far.  Same with Powell.  But you're right about Key and Wharton.. Being a grad of the same school as Wharton makes me pay a little more attention to his progress.  Other good reports come on Hardman, Gay, Smith, Humphrey, Kemp, Grey and Jones.  Among losers (so far) are Watts, Calloway, and Okafor, who can't seem to even stay healthy for a week of TC.