Training Camp Updates.

32 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Lack of glowing praise this camp has me feeling the same way.  I'll give it a little more time but the praise for Darrell and McKinnon is concerning.

Agree. Its the fact he was a #1 when KC had other needs. As a #1 you would hope he is a three down back. Hes been playing ball most his life. Catching a pass out of the back field does not require endless training camp. Its catching a foot ball from a few yards away. GEEZ. Pass protection should also not be an issue for a #1 pick. If those were issues you draft him lower. KC did not need a RB. I was given the impression he was the next coming. Well I hope he is. Its not his fault KC picked him as a #1. 

54 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Lack of glowing praise this camp has me feeling the same way.  I'll give it a little more time but the praise for Darrell and McKinnon is concerning.

The reason I am not concerned is that receiving is more complex than running for an RB, and CEH was  coached for running in his first season.  He had no OTA's or training camp in his first season, and this time he is working with the receivers coach and the QB's.  He was repeatedly touted as a great receiver in college.  I think he should be given the chance to be a receiving threat this year.  He could even be seen as a "best kept secret." McKinnon has been doing that for some time and has received the receiving coaching at the NFL level, so it is no surprise that he is ahead of CEH in receiving.  Same with Williams.  Give him a chance is what I would recommend. yIt is way to early to demand performance  in his first year of actual training camp. I believe Reid is going to do just that. year, a. There is a reason that Mahomes was pushing for CEH to be drafted last, and he was ecstatic that we got him.  Mahomes has been looking for a solid outlet since Kareem Hunt was let go.  Just running with a poor run supporting line last year, he still got over 1000 yards. 

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

The reason I am not concerned is that receiving is more complex than running for an RB, and CEH was  coached for running in his first season.  He had no OTA's or training camp in his first season, and this time he is working with the receivers coach and the QB's.  He was repeatedly touted as a great receiver in college.  I think he should be given the chance to be a receiving threat this year.  He could even be seen as a "best kept secret." McKinnon has been doing that for some time and has received the receiving coaching at the NFL level, so it is no surprise that he is ahead of CEH in receiving.  Same with Williams.  Give him a chance is what I would recommend. yIt is way to early to demand performance  in his first year of actual training camp. I believe Reid is going to do just that. year, a. There is a reason that Mahomes was pushing for CEH to be drafted last, and he was ecstatic that we got him.  Mahomes has been looking for a solid outlet since Kareem Hunt was let go.  Just running with a poor run supporting line last year, he still got over 1000 yards. The blocking scheme is going to be totally different this year, also.

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Agree. Its the fact he was a #1 when KC had other needs. As a #1 you would hope he is a three down back. Hes been playing ball most his life. Catching a pass out of the back field does not require endless training camp. Its catching a foot ball from a few yards away. GEEZ. Pass protection should also not be an issue for a #1 pick. If those were issues you draft him lower. KC did not need a RB. I was given the impression he was the next coming. Well I hope he is. Its not his fault KC picked him as a #1. 

In a simple offense, sure I would agree.  Nothing is simple in an Andy Reid offense, even the screen game is complicated. 

14 minutes ago, xen said:

In a simple offense, sure I would agree.  Nothing is simple in an Andy Reid offense, even the screen game is complicated. 

Yet an undrafted guy gets those reps? My point is simply this. He was a first round pick at a position KC did not have a top pick need. I hope he is a fantastic pick. After all....what do I know?

In todays NFL RBs are a dime a dozen. 

23 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The reason I am not concerned is that receiving is more complex than running for an RB, and CEH was  coached for running in his first season.  He had no OTA's or training camp in his first season, and this time he is working with the receivers coach and the QB's.  He was repeatedly touted as a great receiver in college.  I think he should be given the chance to be a receiving threat this year.  He could even be seen as a "best kept secret." McKinnon has been doing that for some time and has received the receiving coaching at the NFL level, so it is no surprise that he is ahead of CEH in receiving.  Same with Williams.  Give him a chance is what I would recommend. yIt is way to early to demand performance  in his first year of actual training camp. I believe Reid is going to do just that. year, a. There is a reason that Mahomes was pushing for CEH to be drafted last, and he was ecstatic that we got him.  Mahomes has been looking for a solid outlet since Kareem Hunt was let go.  Just running with a poor run supporting line last year, he still got over 1000 yards. 

Is Mahomes now scouting too? I think the issue with the backs, Including Playoff Damian, was the oline and not the skill. Im hoping CEH is the best KC back ever. 

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:
Marcus Kemp has for sure improved offensively. Might be the third best wide receiver this camp behind Hill, Hardman.

And Nate Taylor saying Kemp is a lock to make the team.

Hope that is motivation for Pringle and Robinson.  I do wonder if Veach doesn't pull the trigger for another wr though.....seems Powell has had underwhelming camp so far.

22 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yet an undrafted guy gets those reps? My point is simply this. He was a first round pick at a position KC did not have a top pick need. I hope he is a fantastic pick. After all....what do I know?

You mean the undrafted RB who's had 4 years in the system?  Btw he had 3 catches his first year and 36 for his career.  Clyde had 36 last year with no offseason.

29 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I do think that Cesar Ruiz was the guy we really wanted.  I like CEH but we didn't utilize him in the screen game nearly enough last year which was the main reason for him getting drafted so high.  He's not big, he's not fast, but he seems to have good vision and is an above avg. receiver so for me it was a bit of a head scratcher that we didn't utilize him much there last year.   I still think he can be a very good running back but I think most times a rb gets selected in the 1st it can be second guessed when so many studs are found much later.   

With all that said, our line is beefier, meaner, and a huge upgrade over last years line so this year should be much better for CEH.

CEH definitely didn't live up to the 1st round pick status but tough for any RB to live up to that with so little work. Overall I think he was a reach simply because Reid doesn't seem to have been planning to use him, upgrading the OL with that pick would have been much better. However I think he was a decent RB who'll likely get better with a full offseason.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Hope that is motivation for Pringle and Robinson.  I do wonder if Veach doesn't pull the trigger for another wr though.....seems Powell has had underwhelming camp so far.

Ya. I was really hoping Powell and calloway would impress over Robinson.

• On the other side of the coin, rookie wideout Cornell Powell has been disappointing in his first training camp. Bieniemy was asked about Powell’s progress during his presser: “Cornell is a rookie, and he’s learning. First of all, he’s a beautiful soul, he’s a great kid. He has a tremendous amount of talent in front of him, and the thing that I appreciate about those guys is that they support one another. So, if he does something wrong, they’re on him, ‘Hey man, listen, pick your head up and let’s go line up the next play.’ The best thing about him is that he understands the importance of coming to work every single day, and that’s what I appreciate about him. Now, is he quite where we want him to be? No. Is he working in that direction? Yes, he is, and I appreciate his work ethic each and every day.”

• Left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. has continued to look poor in one-on-ones, but he is a different offensive lineman in 11-on-11. It seems like most Chiefs pass rushers choose to speed-rush Brown in the one-on-one drill, and they usually find success. Then he manages to stonewall defenders in scrimmage work.
  • The offensive linemen generally had a better time in one-on-one work Monday — especially right guard Trey Smith, who has just put together a phenomenal camp.

Just now, jetlord said:

Any thoughts on why Wiz was signed?  The Chiefs seemed to have an abundance of interior O-linemen and this one is a mystery to me.  LDT, Allegretti, Wylie, and eventually Long baking up Thueny and Smith seems like a lot

Training camp body with guys nicked up. Also puts him on will-call should, lets hope not, the need arises.

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Is Mahomes now scouting too? I think the issue with the backs, Including Playoff Damian, was the oline and not the skill. Im hoping CEH is the best KC back ever. 

Chiefs news- Why Patrick Mahomes lobbied for Clyde Edwards-Helaire.weblocPatrick Mahomes got his man when Chiefs drafted Clyde Edwards-Helaire - Kansas City Chiefs Blog- ESPN.weblocChiefs reveal QB Patrick Mahomes hand-picked RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire.webloc