Training Camp Updates.

48 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Quote of the day

Offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy on what message he had for the offensive line on Monday: “Well, I don’t know if I can say that message right now.”

Love it

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

A standout as a rookie, Thornhill never quite looked the same in 2020 after returning from a torn ACL. Even before leaving practice this week with a groin injury, Thornhill was lining up behind Daniel Sorensen on the Chiefs' safety depth chart. -NFL Network

Not to worry hands. Dirty Dan likes playing against the ravens. 

16 hours ago, AFCWEST said:
  • On the other side of the coin, rookie wideout Cornell Powell has been disappointing in his first training camp. Bieniemy was asked about Powell’s progress during his presser: “Cornell is a rookie, and he’s learning. First of all, he’s a beautiful soul, he’s a great kid. He has a tremendous amount of talent in front of him, and the thing that I appreciate about those guys is that they support one another. So, if he does something wrong, they’re on him, ‘Hey man, listen, pick your head up and let’s go line up the next play.’ The best thing about him is that he understands the importance of coming to work every single day, and that’s what I appreciate about him. Now, is he quite where we want him to be? No. Is he working in that direction? Yes, he is, and I appreciate his work ethic each and every day.”

Looking at the early WR production in this regime I don't expect anything else from Powell. I guess he'll likely learn over time and hopefully become a good option. Earlier is always better but that doesn't seem to be very realistic with all guys taking some time to adjust to Reid. 

1 minute ago, sith13 said:

Looks like Remmers inherited Schwartz's back as well :( I hope he recovers soon, otherwise we should be on the market for a swing tackle and that sure isn't easy so late in the summer. I wonder how Schwartz is coming along in his recovery? 

Not to worry.  Balto will swing a trade. 

15 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Looks like Remmers inherited Schwartz's back as well :( I hope he recovers soon, otherwise we should be on the market for a swing tackle and that sure isn't easy so late in the summer. I wonder how Schwartz is coming along in his recovery? 

I wonder, too.  I wonder if his return might be a semi-planned surprise sprung on opposing teams. Rotate him with Niang for awhile until Niang is totally comfortable.  Then use him as backup and later as trade for a couple of draft picks.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I wonder, too.  I wonder if his return might be a semi-planned surprise sprung on opposing teams. Rotate him with Niang for awhile until Niang is totally comfortable.  Then use him as backup and later as trade for a couple of draft picks.

Still in KC and has good relations with the management. I doubt it was set in stone but bringing him back if he can recover in time might have been the plan all along. 

9 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Still in KC and has good relations with the management. I doubt it was set in stone but bringing him back if he can recover in time might have been the plan all along. 

There is really nothing to suggest otherwise, if you look at the statements of the team throughout the spring and this summer.  It would make Remmers pretty expendable, if you think about it.

20 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I think Andy included to that do I bet they have discussed first right of refusal.

14 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

There is really nothing to suggest otherwise, if you look at the statements of the team throughout the spring and this summer.  It would make Remmers pretty expendable, if you think about it.

It would make someone expendable, but doubt it’s Remmers.

• Defensive lineman Khalen Saunders has been noticeably better this camp, and he is beginning to be rewarded with first-team reps here and there. A positive development for Saunders — who had somewhat of a throwaway year in 2020.
  • Spagnuolo on Saunders after practice: “It’ll be good to get him up and going again... Khalen sticks out — one, because he dealt with the injury. You want to see if those guys are back... (Defensive line coach) Brendan Daly mentioned this the other day in our staff meeting that he has stacked a bunch of days together where he’s been really good. Early on, it was the drill work that looked really good, but it wasn’t transferring to some of our team work here, but that seems to be coming — and hopefully, that will happen as we go, and it will be good to get in a game where we hit somebody for real.”