Training Camp Updates.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:
  • Defensive lineman Khalen Saunders has been noticeably better this camp, and he is beginning to be rewarded with first-team reps here and there. A positive development for Saunders — who had somewhat of a throwaway year in 2020.
  • Spagnuolo on Saunders after practice: “It’ll be good to get him up and going again... Khalen sticks out — one, because he dealt with the injury. You want to see if those guys are back... (Defensive line coach) Brendan Daly mentioned this the other day in our staff meeting that he has stacked a bunch of days together where he’s been really good. Early on, it was the drill work that looked really good, but it wasn’t transferring to some of our team work here, but that seems to be coming — and hopefully, that will happen as we go, and it will be good to get in a game where we hit somebody for real.”

Saunders has an uphill climb.  Look at the numbers.  Reed, Wharton, Nnadi, Jones, Clark, Dana, Okafor, Taco, and Kaindoh.  How many D-linemen can they keep.  If its a 53 man roster, there's going to be a few familiar names cut and Saunders could be one of them.  Best case is that he flashes in a few pre-season games and the Chiefs can trade him for a future seventh and a plate of burnt ends. Throw in Wylie and seal the deal. 

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Saunders has an uphill climb.  Look at the numbers.  Reed, Wharton, Nnadi, Jones, Clark, Dana, Okafor, Taco, and Kaindoh.  How many D-linemen can they keep.  If its a 53 man roster, there's going to be a few familiar names cut and Saunders could be one of them.  Best case is that he flashes in a few pre-season games and the Chiefs can trade him for a future seventh and a plate of burnt ends. Throw in Wylie and seal the deal. 

It will be interesting. Great problem to have. Okafor seems to have returned to injury bug status. Hope he gets past that. If Saunders plays well, might look at Wharton to DE. Wide open as I see it. 

3 hours ago, azchief21 said:

We have Mahomes. The defense is getting better

having Patrick might not be enough if our all-pro FA LT is getting his lunch handed to him... which seems to be the consensus so far...

But I'm still holding out hope...

17 minutes ago, mex said:

having Patrick might not be enough if our all-pro FA LT is getting his lunch handed to him... which seems to be the consensus so far...

I don’t think Brown will look great as a one on one guy. In games he is much better. I wouldn’t judge too much based off those reps. 

4 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I don’t think Brown will look great as a one on one guy. In games he is much better. I wouldn’t judge too much based off those reps. 

I sure hope you're right... and I hope AZ is right that the D is improving... because we need both

46 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It will be interesting. Great problem to have. Okafor seems to have returned to injury bug status. Hope he gets past that. If Saunders plays well, might look at Wharton to DE. Wide open as I see it. 

That's exactly what I was going to say, and not just  because of the injury.  He is expendable.  He might be slightly better at the moment than a few who have higher ceilings.  The ceilings height will win IMO.

5 minutes ago, mex said:

I sure hope you're right... and I hope AZ is right that the D is improving... because we need both

Brown is huge and excels in pass pro.  He will be a great LT.  He'll eventually contribute in the run game, too.  But the pocket will be sound from the get go.

9 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Brown is huge and excels in pass pro.  He will be a great LT.  He'll eventually contribute in the run game, too.  But the pocket will be sound from the get go.

That's my biggest wish. Right there. In a nutshell.

27 minutes ago, mex said:

I think our DBs are really going to be good. Interior D-line is good. Not sure if Clark will show up so a little nervous about overall pass rush. LBs scare me a little but hoping Bolton brings raw talent and learns quickly but I think Guy in his 2nd year is key. We know Hitchens will bring solid mediocrity. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs OG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif will be out 4-6 weeks with a broken bone in his hand.

Rapoport added that Duvernay-Tardif's injury won't require surgery and that he still has a chance to be ready for Week 1. The veteran guard opted out of the 2020 season to serve as a frontline worker during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Pro Football Focus graded him as an above-average pass blocker in 2019 but the Chiefs listed him as a second-stringer in their first unofficial depth chart. Trey Smith, a sixth-round rookie from Tennessee, was listed as the starter at right guard. With Duvernay-Tardif likely out for the rest of training camp, Smith should hold onto the starting role heading into Week 1.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think he makes the team.   DT - Reed, Nnadi, Wharton, Saunders with Jones flexing at DT/DE DE - Clark, Danna, Charlton, Kaindoh and the bubble is Okafor imo.   

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

The reports have already mentioned this.  One v Ones are concerning but then in 11 v 11 he looks fine.   

19 hours ago, mex said:

mex name a single tackle, that chris jones would not make a complete mockery of, in a one on one drill?

On 8/10/2021 at 6:47 PM, mex said:

In 1 on 1s he is having his ass handed to him. Apparently in 11 on 11s he is looking like a different player. 

17 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

I’ve been seeing that Devon Key #24 is drawing the attention of the media. Is he this years undrafted camp darling? 
samkon gado and the like or is he going to be legit? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kckingdom.com/2021/08/09/kansas-city-chiefs-devon-key-chances-53-man-roster/amp/

26 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

I’ve been seeing that Devon Key #24 is drawing the attention of the media. Is he this years undrafted camp darling? 
samkon gado and the like or is he going to be legit? 

time will tell...looking forward to Saturday night but then the other 2 games being  on ESPN  and NFLN.. that really sucks

Replying to @HerbieTeope
LB Willie Gay Jr., who has been in concussion protocol, is dressed in full pads and back to work. We’ll see how much he does. DE Alex Okafor (hamstring) also back in pads.

In 1-on-1 drills, Ben Niemann overwhelmed Clyde Edwards-Helaire in 2 repetitions. Eric Bieniemy wasn’t pleased.

Chiefs second-year CB BoPete Keyes heading up the hill with two trainers. They spent a few minutes in the medical tent looking at his left hand before taking him up the hill.

37 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

In 1-on-1 drills, Ben Niemann overwhelmed Clyde Edwards-Helaire in 2 repetitions. Eric Bieniemy wasn’t pleased.

mzg7U94f_normal.jpg

Like was mentioned earlier 1 on 1s can be deceiving but if Nate was not using an excessive amount of Hyperbole that is concerning.. CEH you no can blockee you no can playee