Training Camp Updates.

• Lucas Niang remained the first-team right tackle, with Mike Remmers continuing his reps as the second-team left tackle.
  • Mike Hughes also kept his position at right outside cornerback in the nickel, with Deandre Baker at left cornerback and Rashad Fenton at right cornerback on the second team.
  • After practice, head coach Andy Reid had two key notes: first, he confirmed that offensive lineman Kyle Long indeed had surgery to repair his left tibia, and he outlined the plan for the Chiefs’ second preseason game, set to take place this Friday in Arizona against the Cardinals.
  •  

11 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:
  • Lucas Niang remained the first-team right tackle, with Mike Remmers continuing his reps as the second-team left tackle.
  • Mike Hughes also kept his position at right outside cornerback in the nickel, with Deandre Baker at left cornerback and Rashad Fenton at right cornerback on the second team.
  • After practice, head coach Andy Reid had two key notes: first, he confirmed that offensive lineman Kyle Long indeed had surgery to repair his left tibia, and he outlined the plan for the Chiefs’ second preseason game, set to take place this Friday in Arizona against the Cardinals.
  •  

So what does that mean for his availability this season?

I'd say Long is done, sure you can throw him on the IR, but at the end of the day he's not been the same since he became injury prone. Thought it was a great low risk high reward signing, but not surprised.  Stud in the past, not so much more.  Maybe he gives us something in the middle of season, won't get any hopes up. 

33 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I'd say Long is done, sure you can throw him on the IR, but at the end of the day he's not been the same since he became injury prone. Thought it was a great low risk high reward signing, but not surprised.  Stud in the past, not so much more.  Maybe he gives us something in the middle of season, won't get any hopes up. 

Maybe, but for all we know, the surgery could have taken place many weeks ago and Long could be scheduled to be ready to practice soon.  He's supposedly running lightly already.  If he can play, the O-line gains depth and versatility.  If not, not a big loss unless numerous others also go down.  

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe, but for all we know, the surgery could have taken place many weeks ago and Long could be scheduled to be ready to practice soon.  He's supposedly running lightly already.  If he can play, the O-line gains depth and versatility.  If not, not a big loss unless numerous others also go down.  

Timing of his availability and LDT May work to our adavantage. Hope not but if we have bodies when injuries happen we can keep rolling. 

2 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Timing of his availability and LDT May work to our adavantage. Hope not but if we have bodies when injuries happen we can keep rolling. 

Probably a blessing really. Would Smith even had the chance to show his skills if Long was still healthy at RG?

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Premature.  It might be right, but we have been told it was a "bone bruise."  Not sure what that means.  I had been thinking it was just a bruise over the surface of the bone.  It it was a small fracture missed on earlier X-ray, it could be mostly healed already, and he may be available early in the season.  Even with that, it would take many more weeks to get in game shape.  But a lot of the surrendering I am reading here seems a little over-reactive.

I sometimes scratch my head at the misinformation that comes out of One Arrowhead Drive. Why wait until now to tell the world Long had surgery? It is what it is. Makes people think that we can’t trust them. I’m not saying that fans or the press need to (or even deserve to) know everything going on with the team but not disclosing when a player has surgery seems really strange. There’s been a history of it too. Berry, Houston, etc. I would have assumed Long was going to need surgery based on his injury. I thought maybe they were trying some kind of rehab since they didn’t say anything at the time.  Is Reid afraid the rookie was going to  freak out with all of the additional pressure on him to step up? I honestly don’t get it. What are we, the KGB? Even worse…the Patriots?

8 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

I sometimes scratch my head at the misinformation that comes out of One Arrowhead Drive. Why wait until now to tell the world Long had surgery? It is what it is. Makes people think that we can’t trust them. I’m not saying that fans or the press need to (or even deserve to) know everything going on with the team but not disclosing when a player has surgery seems really strange. There’s been a history of it too. Berry, Houston, etc. I would have assumed Long was going to need surgery based on his injury. I thought maybe they were trying some kind of rehab since they didn’t say anything at the time.  Is Reid afraid the rookie was going to  freak out with all of the additional pressure on him to step up? I honestly don’t get it. What are we, the KGB? Even worse…the Patriots?

Play Calling Super Bowl GIF by SportsManias

9 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

Maybe it’s more to do with being low key so they can shop for replacements without the replacements knowing and jacking there prices up? Who knows. 

Brett Veach cast some doubt about a return.

“The landscape is super tricky. We’re at a $30 million [salary-cap] deficit from what we thought, and next year it’s $15 million," Veach said, via ESPN. "Right now some things are out of our control just because of the cap reductions this year and next year. If you look at our books for next year, we’re going to be over by a bunch.”

Will the Kansas City Chiefs re-sign Tyrann Mathieu?

Veach is right. The NFL salary cap creates some issues for Kansas City. The cap dropped in 2021 due to a $4 billion revenue hit caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. But the Chiefs spent significant money to overhaul the offensive line this spring and the 2022 salary cap will rise significantly thanks to $100 billion TV contracts.

21 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Brett Veach cast some doubt about a return.

“The landscape is super tricky. We’re at a $30 million [salary-cap] deficit from what we thought, and next year it’s $15 million," Veach said, via ESPN. "Right now some things are out of our control just because of the cap reductions this year and next year. If you look at our books for next year, we’re going to be over by a bunch.”

Will the Kansas City Chiefs re-sign Tyrann Mathieu?

Veach is right. The NFL salary cap creates some issues for Kansas City. The cap dropped in 2021 due to a $4 billion revenue hit caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. But the Chiefs spent significant money to overhaul the offensive line this spring and the 2022 salary cap will rise significantly thanks to $100 billion TV contracts.

Veach probably has learned a hard lesson  in regards to  signing aged vets with a load of Guaranteed and long term$$$. As much as I'd hate to see the Badger go his price wlli most likely exceed his worth in the Chief's mind. It'd mostly be in the Badgers hands on how cheaply is he willing to play for. He certainly is not making a big fuss about it all.

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Veach probably has learned a hard lesson  in regards to  signing aged vets with a load of Guaranteed and long term$$$. As much as I'd hate to see the Badger go his price wlli most likely exceed his worth in the Chief's mind. It'd mostly be in the Badgers hands on how cheaply is he willing to play for. He certainly is not making a big fuss about it all.

Remember, every team has less cap and will have more next year.  The Chiefs are a little overextended, but I think they can make a deal with him after the season, because he wants to stay really badly.  The Chiefs D cannot afford to lose its field general, teacher, and in-game coach.

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I think its risky based on his past two ACL injuries on each leg. Age + Injuries = Berry. Time to move on or franchise for one more year. 

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Remember, every team has less cap and will have more next year.  The Chiefs are a little overextended, but I think they can make a deal with him after the season, because he wants to stay really badly.  The Chiefs D cannot afford to lose its field general, teacher, and in-game coach.

Yes I agree but cant pay everyone top dollar. He is earning 19 million this year. Chiefs are very top heavy and need to sign THAT LEFT TACKLE THEY JUST TRADED FOR. 

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes I agree but cant pay everyone top dollar. He is earning 19 million this year. Chiefs are very top heavy and need to sign THAT LEFT TACKLE THEY JUST TRADED FOR. 

Kind of funny, because that LT will be looking for top dollar too. Protect Mahomes and see what we can do from there.

44 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Don't forget about Reed and Nnadi.  This could be a very good D line but those two would have to be signed as well as Brown  

I don't think either will command top dollar though. The Chiefs will resign Brown first after cutting or whatever they can with Clark. HB may be able to get done too but I bet they push the cap hit down the road on one of them. That or they tag one and sign the other. They can do this but it seems they are really trying to find solutions at safety too in case HB does not sign. As pointed above,  see how he does this year and how he holds up. We really don't need another Berry situation.