Training Camp Updates.

LT Trent Williams had his knee drained and will sit the rest of the week.

ESPN's Nick Wagoner reported that Kyle Shanahan "seemed certain" that Williams will be ready to go for Week 1. Williams is a major part of the 49ers offensive line, which they acknowledged this offseason by making him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history. With Williams now 33 years old, his health will be worth monitoring heading into the season.

Just now, AFCWEST said:

LT Trent Williams had his knee drained and will sit the rest of the week.

ESPN's Nick Wagoner reported that Kyle Shanahan "seemed certain" that Williams will be ready to go for Week 1. Williams is a major part of the 49ers offensive line, which they acknowledged this offseason by making him the highest-paid offensive lineman in NFL history. With Williams now 33 years old, his health will be worth monitoring heading into the season.

This is an example of why I would not give big bucks & 3-4 year contracts to older players including Matheu

43 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

This is an example of why I would not give big bucks & 3-4 year contracts to older players including Matheu

You also said "it may be time to go safety shopping" when you read that Thornhill was running with the 2s and 3s last week in practice. So you don't want to give significant dollars to our pro bowl safety because he's almost 30. And you are ready to move on from our young safety with the most upside and a significant draft investment.

So what would your plan be for 2022 at safety? Just have 17 or 18 UDFAs in camp and roll with the best 2or 3? Have a trio of Sorensons out there?

On 8/18/2021 at 3:01 PM, jetlord said:

Maybe, but for all we know, the surgery could have taken place many weeks ago and Long could be scheduled to be ready to practice soon.  He's supposedly running lightly already.  If he can play, the O-line gains depth and versatility.  If not, not a big loss unless numerous others also go down.  

Exactly. Can't know.  Won't know, until he is out there playing....and well.

4 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You also said "it may be time to go safety shopping" when you read that Thornhill was running with the 2s and 3s last week in practice. So you don't want to give significant dollars to our pro bowl safety because he's almost 30. And you are ready to move on from our young safety with the most upside and a significant draft investment.

So what would your plan be for 2022 at safety? Just have 17 or 18 UDFAs in camp and roll with the best 2or 3? Have a trio of Sorensons out there?

DWBH Im not the GM so I dont need a plan.  

Meh why would Veach “Go public” with basically saying they might not have the cap for him?  It’s called negotiating with his agent!  Just because everyone love HB doesn’t mean they wanna make him the highest paid safety in the NFL.

A deal will get done an Veach is just being Veach and seeing how bad HB wants to be a Chief.

Prince Tega Wanogo: The only member of the Chiefs team that actually has his own Kingdom (he’s an actual Prince from Nigeria), Wanogo is starting to assert himself as a potential backup offensive tackle. He’s got the size and athleticism and appears to be a natural fit at left tackle, where the Chiefs need depth. Last week, the dropoff in offensive line play seemed to fall on backup tackles (Witzmann and Miller). If Prince continues his strong preseason, the team may have another difficult decision

Mike Remmers: Remmers also returned from injury this week and worked almost exclusively as the second-team left tackle. Lucas Niang’s strong debut last week and his continued hold on the starting right tackle reps indicate that the competition with Remmers may be over. If Remmers is depth, that’s generally good news for the team, but now he may face a different competition with the aforementioned Wanogo.

Taco Charlton and Alex Okafor: Both veterans returned from hamstring injuries for a light week of practice heading into Friday night’s game. But they might start feeling the pressure because the rest of the Chiefs' defensive front stole the show last week. Young players like Mike Danna and Tershawn Wharton spent their evening in the offensive backfield, and Tim Ward registered two sacks. The more these guys step up, the less the team may need to lean on Charlton and Okafor. It may come down to a roster decision between a young player with multiple years left on a rookie deal against a veteran on a cheap one-year contract.

26 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Amazing how much hype a preseason game builds. If I recall SF hardly played any starters and play calling is always vanilla. Like seeing the kids throw down, but a little but of perspective goes a long way.

Tonight's game will tell us more than last week.  The starters will play more and AZ will also use starters.  If the rookies on the line show well, I'll feel that that's the starters in Sept.  

6 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Prince Tega Wanogo: The only member of the Chiefs team that actually has his own Kingdom (he’s an actual Prince from Nigeria), Wanogo is starting to assert himself as a potential backup offensive tackle. He’s got the size and athleticism and appears to be a natural fit at left tackle, where the Chiefs need depth. Last week, the dropoff in offensive line play seemed to fall on backup tackles (Witzmann and Miller). If Prince continues his strong preseason, the team may have another difficult decision

Mike Remmers: Remmers also returned from injury this week and worked almost exclusively as the second-team left tackle. Lucas Niang’s strong debut last week and his continued hold on the starting right tackle reps indicate that the competition with Remmers may be over. If Remmers is depth, that’s generally good news for the team, but now he may face a different competition with the aforementioned Wanogo.

I like seeing this. I was impressed with Wanogho. 

6 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

So that’s who has been sending me all of those spam emails.

From AP: 18 snaps. Two sacks. You want to do the math on that?

Moving Jones into his new role in the Kansas City defense has looked a little like a move of sheer desperation to many fans. In their view, the team made the change because it lacks edge rushers. But I’m not sure I’m buying that explanation — because according to Pro Football Focus statistics, Jones lined up on the edge on 32% of his 2020 snaps. Essentially, he’s doing something that he’s already been doing — just more often than before.

It’s all possible because the Chiefs acquired veteran defensive tackle Jarran Reed, have Khalen Saunders all the way back from his injury — and appear to have hit a home run with last season’s undrafted free agent Tershawn Wharton. Without them, they might not have been able to move Jones around so much. But with them, opposing offenses will have literally no idea where Jones is going to line up on a given play.

I wouldn't want to game plan against that. Would you?

AP: 

Patrick Mahomes just didn't look like himself on Friday night. He wasn’t making connections with his receivers. He threw balls into the ground. He stayed on the field into the second quarter, leading his teammates through three Kansas City drives — and left the game after completing 10 of 18 passes for 78 yards, no touchdowns and a very ill-advised interception. His passer rating on the night was a measly 43.3.

Ouch.

AP:

It seems like the team should just decide to make one of these guys the second wide receiver and be done with it. But as Reid would say... that’s not how he rolls. Instead, Hardman and Pringle are likely to share the role as the receiver behind Hill — and for one simple reason: they each bring a different set of skills to the table. Reid loves that kind of approach.

“Before the game, Fenton tweaked his hamstring,” said Reid. “Looks like it’s a knot, but we’ll see [Saturday] when we get back.”

The Chiefs’ top two running backs suffered injuries during the game.

“Clyde hurt his right ankle,” noted Reid. “He’s got a slight sprain on the inside of his ankle. We’ll just see… they’re going to check it tomorrow and do what they do there. It’s tender now. It doesn’t look like a high-ankle sprain and that’s always a good thing, but they’ll double-check it.”

Running back Darrel Williams entered the concussion protocol and he did not return to the game. Defensive linemen Derrick Nnadi (hip) and Frank Clark (hamstring) — as well as offensive lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif (hand) — also missed the contest.

Defensive Player of the Game: Juan Thornhill

This could be several different guys from the Chiefs’ first-team defense. However, after getting reps with the third team in practice this week — and hearing all the whispers in the media — Thornhill arguably stepped up the most. He got a taste of the ball on a nice pass breakup early in the game, following that up with the defensive play of the game when he intercepted McCoy in the end zone. He certainly looked healthy on that play. Thornhill continued his solid play deep into the second half — notably playing tight coverage on third-and-goal to force the Cardinals to kick a field goal in the third quarter.

AFCWEST: Both of these guys may be cut? 

Demarcus Robinson was underwhelming again, catching two of six targets for 10 yards. Cornell Powell continues to play with the third-team offense. Powell caught his lone target of the night for six yards. Pringle and Hardman are the two frontrunners for the WR2 role.

Daurice Will Make The Roster

Speaking of the final roster, Daurice Fountain has been a standout during the first two weeks of the preseason for the Chiefs. After catching four passes for 38 yards against San Francisco, Fountain followed that up with three catches for 54 yards against Arizona.

Fountain, a former 2018 fifth-round pick, has played very well during this preseason, making it difficult for the Chiefs to move on from him. Fountain made a couple of tough catches, but the one that stood out was the 41-yard catch along the sideline late in the third quarter. Fountain will not be a guy who gets a lot of playing time, but he is a name to remember as roster cuts come due at month’s end.

For those who did, Thornhill made the message very clear after a great performance in Friday night’s 17-10 win over the Arizona Cardinals:

“I’m back,” Thornhill excitedly assured reporters. “I’m back.”

“There were times last season I was doubting myself,” Thornhill continued. “I was never 100% — I just had to fight through the pain. This offseason, I’ve just attacked it. I’m trying to get my knee back to 100%, and I can definitely say I’m back.”

It’s safe to assume some of Thornhill’s confidence in post-game derived from the amazing play he made a few hours earlier.

19 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Amazing how much hype a preseason game builds. If I recall SF hardly played any starters and play calling is always vanilla. Like seeing the kids throw down, but a little but of perspective goes a long way.

These games really grab my attention.  It is like a puzzle to figure out what the coaches and GM's stategies are for the kind of team they want to work with for the season, to see what these kids are going to do, who they keep and why, etc. I love that.  The thing that drives me nuts are the yacking and stupid interviews with starters who are done and are on the bench and the mindless chatter of the TV people supposedly "covering" the game.  There are constantly plays going on, and I have no idea who did what, who screwed up, who did something right, who is showing athletic ability and mindset.  Instead, I hear constant chattering and focus on their own cuteness and personality.  These people have no idea who the players are and don't want to put the work into knowing the names from their uniform numbers.  I am left scratching my head on who did what, especially the twos and threes. Sometimes the cameramen don't even see the play. But we sure get to hear about why Kelce grew a mustache or what some starter thinks about cheese or onions.

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

These games really grab my attention.  It is like a puzzle to figure out what the coaches and GM's stategies are for the kind of team they want to work with for the season, to see what these kids are going to do, who they keep and why, etc. I love that.  The thing that drives me nuts are the yacking and stupid interviews with starters who are done and are on the bench and the mindless chatter of the TV people supposedly "covering" the game.  There are constantly plays going on, and I have no idea who did what, who screwed up, who did something right, who is showing athletic ability and mindset.  Instead, I hear constant chattering and focus on their own cuteness and personality.  These people have no idea who the players are and don't want to put the work into knowing the names from their uniform numbers.  I am left scratching my head on who did what, especially the twos and threes. Sometimes the cameramen don't even see the play. But we sure get to hear about why Kelce grew a mustache or what some starter thinks about cheese or onions.

those announcers were uncommonly bad..maybe it was just me but they seemed more knowledgeable about the Cards. Are these the ESPN A team? If so no wonder ESPN ratings suck soo bad..I feel terrible for Alex if he's joining those boobs.