Tardif Broken Hand-Oline Depth

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs OG Laurent Duvernay-Tardif will be out 4-6 weeks with a broken bone in his hand.

Rapoport added that Duvernay-Tardif's injury won't require surgery and that he still has a chance to be ready for Week 1. The veteran guard opted out of the 2020 season to serve as a frontline worker during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. Pro Football Focus graded him as an above-average pass blocker in 2019 but the Chiefs listed him as a second-stringer in their first unofficial depth chart. Trey Smith, a sixth-round rookie from Tennessee, was listed as the starter at right guard. With Duvernay-Tardif likely out for the rest of training camp, Smith should hold onto the starting role heading into Week 1.

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

From what I've seen LDT and Blythe have been blown up a lot in camp this year.   I think LDT is finished and he is a camp body at this point. 

I have not SEEN much of KC training camp. Read some limited info. Still 5 weeks from the start of the season. Ill reserve JUDGEMENT.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

How “convenient” that his injury doesn’t require surgery and he will be ready by week 1. Almost sounds like an excuse to have him not practice and risk a real injury so that he may be traded…

Not sure if any team would give up something for LDT. Has been out a year and likely retires after this season and likely needs to get back to football shape after all those camp reports. 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

How “convenient” that his injury doesn’t require surgery and he will be ready by week 1. Almost sounds like an excuse to have him not practice and risk a real injury so that he may be traded…

One can hope

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

but his  cap hit is critical..one would like to hope he at least earns some of that paycheck

Good point, but the money is spent whether LDT plays or not.  Better to have the best nine or ten on the roster than the most expensive. It's not certain that the Chiefs can get out of LDTs contract, but that doesn't mean he has to be kept over someone like Long if LDT is less useful.  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Good point, but the money is spent whether LDT plays or not.  Better to have the best nine or ten on the roster than the most expensive. It's not certain that the Chiefs can get out of LDTs contract, but that doesn't mean he has to be kept over someone like Long if LDT is less useful.  

Post June 1 trade

2021 Dead Cap: $2,750,000

2022 Dead Cap: $2,000,000

2021 Cap Savings: $2,000,000

55 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It seems like every year we lose 3-4 starters for multiple games. I would like to see LDT available for that. Hopefully Schwartz also. Wylie as swing tackle would be scary as hell. 

Brown, Thueny, Creed, Smith, Rimmers/Niang are probable starters.  Long, Alegretti, Blythe, Durant and Rimmers/Niang should be enough backup.  Wylie and LDT might or might not be better than some of the former listed, but I don't see them as worth paying extra.  Carrying someone on the roster just because money is spent on him is useless.  

54 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Brown, Thueny, Creed, Smith, Rimmers/Niang are probable starters.  Long, Alegretti, Blythe, Durant and Rimmers/Niang should be enough backup.  Wylie and LDT might or might not be better than some of the former listed, but I don't see them as worth paying extra.  Carrying someone on the roster just because money is spent on him is useless.  

If there's the extra roster spots like last year I don't mind placing a couple guys on the protected PS to be on the safe side. 

59 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It wasn't the money that I was referring to. It was starting experience and proving you can play in this league. Although I think LDT is low average. Keep the best 9 or 10 based on play IMO.

Going into training camp it looked like the Chiefs had one of the deepest OLines in the NFL. And they wanted it that way because they know they have to protect 15. Long didn't even make it to training camp before he became broken. Remmers has back issues.. .those are always concerning especially after what happened with Schwartz. Now LDT with a broken bone. The depth is being sorely tested.

4 hours ago, xen said:

Post June 1 trade

2021 Dead Cap: $2,750,000

2022 Dead Cap: $2,000,000

2021 Cap Savings: $2,000,000

I don't think they cut him because the money is the same.  I could see them putting him on the PUP list to start the season though.

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I don't think they cut him because the money is the same.  I could see them putting him on the PUP list to start the season though.

I read that because he restructured in 2020 all of his contract is guaranteed? 

5 hours ago, dhitter said:

Going into training camp it looked like the Chiefs had one of the deepest OLines in the NFL. And they wanted it that way because they know they have to protect 15. Long didn't even make it to training camp before he became broken. Remmers has back issues.. .those are always concerning especially after what happened with Schwartz. Now LDT with a broken bone. The depth is being sorely tested.

Or you can look at it that the rookies are getting invaluable experience to take off with it? Blythe, Allegretti still are there. Remmers will rest. Ldt back by week 1. I think this is a blessing in disguise really. Forces Reid to use the rookies and spin them up now.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Or you can look at it that the rookies are getting invaluable experience to take off with it? Blythe, Allegretti still are there. Remmers will rest. Ldt back by week 1. I think this is a blessing in disguise really. Forces Reid to use the rookies and spin them up now.

Not to mention guys like Durant and Prince getting reps. Both of whom have higher ceilings than LDT and Remmers