KC vs SF Your Take

I think Omari Cobb needs to get more reps these next 2 games. He looked explosive. I know that Niemann and O'Daniel are good special teamers, but do we want to have 2 spots on our LB depth chart reserved for guys that are liabilities if they have to actually fill in at LB? 

Niemann has experience, knows the playbook, and is a head hunter on ST. But as a LB he is a liability in literally anything he is asked to do. And once again, we saw yesterday with Gay being held out, he was essentially a starter. I do not understand what the staff cannot see here. 

On 8/13/2021 at 3:46 PM, oldtimer said:

just a guess but maybe as practice incase our O-Line is not up to it's Billing and the OPFOR is covering deep? Maybe his toe really is not that 100% and its away to  keep him healthy and give our RB's a chance to shine? All just guesses 

Great  post. 

Reid and Mahomes are not going to change. 60-40 guys.  A passing team led by a bomber is their identity, but they do have to execute what defenses are giving them, and a lot of experience and growth is needed in those areas. Pre-season is the place for that.

I really liked the way the defense played last night.  A major improvement.  The secondary was really impressive. Its possible we could have one of the better D's in the league this year.  With Mahomes leading the O, that is a formidable combination. 

The O-line will be better but needs to gel.  There might be some things they are doing to make up for that during the early part of the season.

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think Omari Cobb needs to get more reps these next 2 games. He looked explosive. I know that Niemann and O'Daniel are good special teamers, but do we want to have 2 spots on our LB depth chart reserved for guys that are liabilities if they have to actually fill in at LB? 

Niemann has experience, knows the playbook, and is a head hunter on ST. But as a LB he is a liability in literally anything he is asked to do. And once again, we saw yesterday with Gay being held out, he was essentially a starter. I do not understand what the staff cannot see here. 

Toub has more say in these matters than other ST coordinators in the league. I don't know whether it is right, but it is the way it is. 

I know that we rarely find out  who the key guys were on ST plays, because the announcers rarely say much or care. But if Niemann is an irreplaceable ace on ST, a good case could be made for him, at least if  he can be even mediocre on defense.  I'm not sure he is even mediocre. I do know that ST's are very often the unappreciated heroes behind the scenes in a great number of victories each season. Look at last night.  Butker was the difference, even though he missed an extra point.  Look at the punt by Townsend that put SF at their own 1 yard line.  We won the game by three points.  Look at the muffed punt reception by SF. Even though the kick was poor and bounced, the returner still was freaked by the gunners closing in on him. Look at Armani Watts.  There is a big reason why he is still a Chief.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Great post.  Reid and Mahomes are not going to change. 60-40 guys.  A passing team led by a bomber is their identity, but they do have to execute what defenses are giving them, and a lot of experience and growth is needed in those areas. Pre-season is the place for that.

I really liked the way the defense played last night.  A major improvement.  The secondary was really impressive. Its possible we could have one of the better D's in the league this year.  With Mahomes leading the O, that is a formidable combination. 

Run defense was incredible 

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

Run defense was incredible 

It really was.  That could be the thing that helps us more than any other single thing. Teams will not be able to eat up the clock., which has been their only real strategy to limit our offense.  They decided to smply not let our O be on the field that much. 

It was Chiefs football so I was happy to see it. I want to get excited about the Oline and what "could be" but the Niners didn't even put the defensive starters out there on the opening drive. And we know teams don't really game plan for the preseason. Can this line get it done when it's real? Have to wait and see. 

Great showing by Baker and Hughes.  More concentration issues from Hardman. Overall I think it was a good practice. No serious injuries that I remember. Oline looked about where they should be.

Thompson did not help his cause. He will have a very hard time making the team over Fortson IMO. The way I see it, you can keep 4 TEs or 4 RBs, but not both. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Great showing by Baker and Hughes.  More concentration issues from Hardman. Overall I think it was a good practice. No serious injuries that I remember. Oline looked about where they should be.

Thompson did not help his cause. He will have a very hard time making the team over Fortson IMO. The way I see it, you can keep 4 TEs or 4 RBs, but not both. 

I keep reading about the leap coming from Hardman and the progress he has made.  I gave up on him last year and have considered him a bust because of poor hands, poor route running, poor completion of routes, and poor concentration.  The articles all this spring and summer have been saying he is corrction those and will be the clear #2.  I know he only was givien one opportunity and dropped it against SF, but it really does seem to re-inforce the bad impression.  If this continues much more, he must be accepted as a bust. A mistake is a mistake.  Veach made the best decision he could at the time, but there are the steals and the busts, and it is part of the job. Personally, I don't think a guy with basic deficiencies can suddently be repaired with one good offseason....or ever. It's tough for Hardman, because fans are going to expect a good play out of him every time, but focus will be on the failures.  So, his situation has soured.  Sad all around.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I keep reading about the leap coming from Hardman and the progress he has made.  I gave up on him last year and have considered him a bust because of poor hands, poor route running, poor completion of routes, and poor concentration.  The articles all this spring and summer have been saying he is corrction those and will be the clear #2.  I know he only was givien one opportunity and dropped it against SF, but it really does seem to re-inforce the bad impression.  If this continues much more, he must be accepted as a bust. A mistake is a mistake.  Veach made the best decision he could at the time, but there are the steals and the busts, and it is part of the job. Personally, I don't think a guy with basic deficiencies can suddently be repaired with one good offseason....or ever. It's tough for Hardman, because fans are going to expect a good play out of him every time, but focus will be on the failures.  So, his situation has soured.  Sad all around.

It was a rough Super Bowl. If I remember correctly he muffed a kick that gave them the ball on the 2 and then he lined up offsides on a 4th down that gave them a first down. That's 2 turnovers that resulted in 14 points from one player. You just can't do that. I am ok with most of his game but the concentration part is something he has to fix. He is the most talented of the group not named Hill.

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

It was a rough Super Bowl. If I remember correctly he muffed a kick that gave them the ball on the 2 and then he lined up offsides on a 4th down that gave them a first down. That's 2 turnovers that resulted in 14 points from one player. You just can't do that. I am ok with most of his game but the concentration part is something he has to fix. He is the most talented of the group not named Hill.

Concentration isn't something that is learned from coaches.  Concentration is something that is used to learn from coaches. If it isn't there, it will never be there at the NFL level. Just my take.  My surprise now would be if he substantially improved.  Sorry,  Mr. Veach.  A wide receiver is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you are going to get.