On 8/23/2021 at 2:41 AM, Lamardirts said:

Lots of safeties?  Could you name a few?  I looked and couldn't find many that were even remotely worth 15+ million per year after 32-33 years old.   Troy P retired at 32.  Earl Thomas under 32.  Ed Reed 35.  Eric Weddle 33 (a shell of himself the final 2 years).  Harrison Smith is 32 but he is also a strong safety.  Brian Dawkins, Charles Woodson, and Ed Reed are the only three I  could find that played into their mid-late 30's.   None of those guys were making even close to top safety money at the time.   I would say most good safeties I looked at, declined after 30 years old and most retire in that 32-33 year range.  HB is very diverse but what makes him good is that versatility to play multiple positions.   If his speed decline he loses that versatility.   He's already not the fastest guy so he can't afford to lose much.  

Thomas looked lost in his last season here in Baltimore; he was definitely a product of the system in Seattle.

Reed should have retired after the Super Bowl; he was done and only made himself look bad with the Texans and the Jets.

If not for a bum knee, Rod Woodson would have played until he was 40- he retired at 39 ( 2004) but still playing at high level- made the Pro Bowl in 2002l

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Thomas looked lost in his last season here in Baltimore; he was definitely a product of the system in Seattle.

Reed should have retired after the Super Bowl; he was done and only made himself look bad with the Texans and the Jets.

If not for a bum knee, Rod Woodson would have played until he was 40- he retired at 39 ( 2004) but still playing at high level- made the Pro Bowl in 2002l

Forgot about Rod Woodson. He was fun to watch.  Both Woodsons (Charles & Rod) played deep into their 30's.  I know it can happen but my point is that it is rare.  Normal drop off is around 31 years of age.  

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Forgot about Rod Woodson. He was fun to watch.  Both Woodsons (Charles & Rod) played deep into their 30's.  I know it can happen but my point is that it is rare.  Normal drop off is around 31 years of age.  

True- Rod was a smart, tough player- Steelers, then Ravens and Raiders....ran into him at the first pre-season game- he was doing the local tv....most people had no idea who he was...I thanked him for helping the team win SB XXXV, shook his hand went about my business....nice exchange