Chiefs cuts

DE Taco Charlton among veterans cut by Kansas City Chiefs as team reaches 80-player limit

12:12 PM MT
  • teicher_adam.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Chris Jones' position change plus the development of some younger players made Taco Charlton expendable and the Kansas City Chiefs released the veteran defensive end on Monday. The Chiefs are down to the NFL limit of 80 players.

"Taco is going to play in the league,'' coach Andy Reid said. "He's too good of a player not to. It just didn't work out in this case.

"The way these cuts are set up, it's a little different than in years past. You have to make these decisions [earlier]. That obviously was a tough decision. I'm hoping he hooks on with somebody or eventually comes back here''

Jones is playing mostly at defensive end after switching from tackle and has two sacks in two preseason games. The Chiefs are also pleased with the progress of ends Mike Danna and Tim Ward.

Charlton joined the Chiefs last season after two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys and one with the Miami Dolphins. He played in seven games as a backup with two sacks before a broken ankle ended his season prematurely.

Charlton, the Cowboys' first-round draft pick in 2017, had nine sacks in three NFL seasons before joining the Chiefs.

The Chiefs also cut two veterans, safety Will Parks and offensive lineman Bryan Witzmann, and younger players in quarterback Anthony Gordon and linebacker Riley Cole.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32072740/de-taco-charlton-cut-kansas-city-chiefs-team-reaches-80-player-limit

45 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Not sure what to think about this, taco was our best pass rusher last year before the injury. I do like tim ward and danna a lot though. Just 1 more year of frank clark to endure guys…

Chiefs have had enough of "best" players who couldn't stay healthy.  If Taco recovers, he may be resigned.  Until then, Let Dana play and train up Kaindoh. 

9 hours ago, sith13 said:

Had high hopes for Taco this year but looks like he couldn't bounce back from the injury or the youngsters simply were better. Danna showed some nice upside last year, they might be considering him for a bigger role. 

At the last preseason game he spent a lot of time on the bike.  I do wonder if he still has some issues.

56 minutes ago, Balto said:

At the last preseason game he spent a lot of time on the bike.  I do wonder if he still has some issues.

Could be, media never really gave much info about his injury status as he was never established as a high profile player. I'm hoping the youngsters showed much more than Taco did to begin last season but lingering injury could always be the primary reason.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

Could be, media never really gave much info about his injury status as he was never established as a high profile player. I'm hoping the youngsters showed much more than Taco did to begin last season but lingering injury could always be the primary reason.

Based on Taca's performance last season when healthy, I had high hopes for him.  If he doesn't hook up with another team and the Chiefs get someone banged up during the season, he'll be a high probability recall.

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs have had enough of "best" players who couldn't stay healthy.  If Taco recovers, he may be resigned.  Until then, Let Dana play and train up Kaindoh. 

Taco was very cheap, and had lots of upside. This isn’t an eric berry, sammy watkins, or justin Houston scenerio. Its ok to take a flyer on a guy making a mil a year or something.

anywho, this wont be the reason we lose or win a superbowl either way. It probably came down to a decision between taco and kaindoh and im fine with kaindoh being the choice.

i would have been tempted to cut okafor, but okafor when healthy actually wasn’t bad either, just slightly preferred taco