Vermeil named a finalist for 2022 HOF

Vermeil, 84, went 126-114, including playoffs, in 15 seasons as a coach with the Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs. His Rams team, which earned the nickname the "Greatest Show on Turf" for its high-scoring offense led by Hall of Famers Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce, won the 1999 championship by defeating the Tennessee Titans 23-16 in Super Bowl XXXIV. He also led the Eagles to an NFC championship in 1980 before his team fell to the Oakland Raiders 27-10 in Super Bowl XV.

"I am overwhelmed. I'm not sure I belong there," Vermeil said, according to the Hall of Fame's website.

Vermeil will need 80% of the vote from the Hall of Fame's 49-member selection committee to be elected.

7 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Vermeil, 84, went 126-114, including playoffs, in 15 seasons as a coach with the Philadelphia Eagles, St. Louis Rams and Kansas City Chiefs. His Rams team, which earned the nickname the "Greatest Show on Turf" for its high-scoring offense led by Hall of Famers Kurt Warner, Marshall Faulk and Isaac Bruce, won the 1999 championship by defeating the Tennessee Titans 23-16 in Super Bowl XXXIV. He also led the Eagles to an NFC championship in 1980 before his team fell to the Oakland Raiders 27-10 in Super Bowl XV.

"I am overwhelmed. I'm not sure I belong there," Vermeil said, according to the Hall of Fame's website.

Vermeil will need 80% of the vote from the Hall of Fame's 49-member selection committee to be elected.

Great coach not sure he belongs either.  Had he paid attention to the draft and hired a better DC we might have won a SB or two.

On 8/25/2021 at 1:26 AM, Lamardirts said:

Great coach not sure he belongs either.  Had he paid attention to the draft and hired a better DC we might have won a SB or two.

true his blind loyalty to Grob was the last straw and then going to Gunther? Come on Man

15 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

From a super bowl perspective, if he had two wins or three teams coached there, he’d be a lock. I think he is too charismatic and storied to not make it. He took some bad teams to good places after a few years and had some historic offenses. Had he never left the Rams, he’d be a lock.

I hadn't thought about that and agree. I think he's a much better overall coach than Martz was, and it may have been enough to overcome the Pats in the SB.