Predicting Cuts & Keeps? Your Thoughts.

According to Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer, the Chiefs are receiving calls on multiple offensive linemen. Among them, Duvernay-Tardif has come up in discussions. Of note, the veteran does have a no-trade clause.

Duvernay-Tardif had a shot to start at right guard this season and then broke a bone in his hand. Expected to miss four to six weeks, his absence opened the door for Smith to secure the spot on the offensive line.

Duvernay-Tardif started 14 games for the Chiefs during the 2019 season and has made 57 starts dating back to the 2015 season. Entering his age-30 season, he is likely viewed as expendable depth for a team who might benefit from adding more talent on the defensive side.

If Duvernay-Tardif is willing to accept a trade, seeing an opportunity to start elsewhere, there would be interest. According to Pro Football Focus, he allowed just 20 total pressures in 592 pass-block snaps in 2019. While he isn’t strong as a run blocker, teams with young quarterbacks would likely covet someone who can keep the face of their franchise protected.

• %7B
  •  
  •  

4 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I feel like last year taught us a lot about the importance of offensive line depth.

Agree: Still can only roster 9 or 10. I think, Long & LDT must be on the roster first to place on IR. So who gets cut? Cant guarantee anyone cut goes to PS.

13 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Agree: Still can only roster 9 or 10. I think, Long & LDT must be on the roster first to place on IR. So who gets cut? Cant guarantee anyone cut goes to PS.

For me, if healthy, and keep 9: Brown, Thuney, Creed, Smith, Niang, LDT, Alagretti, Remmers & Long If 10 Blythe. Of course if those are serious I'd have to adjust. Long is old and Remmers is an OL w/ back problems so I'm not that optimistic. 

• Chiefs waive RB Darwin Thompson, per The Kansas City Star’s Sam McDowell.
  • Chiefs waived RB Darwin Thompson.

Thompson, Kansas City's sixth-round selection in the 2019 draft, failed to transition his Mountain West-high yards after contact per carry (5.07) in his final collegiate year into the NFL, totaling 80 career touches behind Damien Williams, LeSean McCoy, Darrel 'The Mentor' Williams, Le'Veon Bell, and Clyde Edwards-Helaire the past two years. His loss is another man's gain as this move is simultaneously a tremendous sign that CEH walks into Week 1 at full health. Thompson could land on a practice squad elsewhere prior to the regular season opener.

49 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:
  • Chiefs waive RB Darwin Thompson, per The Kansas City Star’s Sam McDowell.
  • Chiefs waived RB Darwin Thompson.

Thompson, Kansas City's sixth-round selection in the 2019 draft, failed to transition his Mountain West-high yards after contact per carry (5.07) in his final collegiate year into the NFL, totaling 80 career touches behind Damien Williams, LeSean McCoy, Darrel 'The Mentor' Williams, Le'Veon Bell, and Clyde Edwards-Helaire the past two years. His loss is another man's gain as this move is simultaneously a tremendous sign that CEH walks into Week 1 at full health. Thompson could land on a practice squad elsewhere prior to the regular season opener.

no surprise

12 hours ago, azchief21 said:

For me, if healthy, and keep 9: Brown, Thuney, Creed, Smith, Niang, LDT, Alagretti, Remmers & Long If 10 Blythe. Of course if those are serious I'd have to adjust. Long is old and Remmers is an OL w/ back problems so I'm not that optimistic. 

Don’t really see the need for Blythe anymore

3 hours ago, Balto said:

Don’t really see the need for Blythe anymore

As seen last year versatility is great but not enough in terms of depth. It's nice to have players that can play multiple positions but an OL that suffers so many injuries need to back up every single position. Adding another game to the schedule doesn't make it easier for trenches. Having 10 linemen makes a lot of sense for the Chiefs. Blythe has been a decent starter with veteran experience, that's worth a roster spot IMO. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Surprised with the Durant move. Definitely looked like he was a good UDFA pick but didn't expect him to bring anything back in a trade. Getting picks right after one of the worst OL performances within a season is really rare :)

Patriots acquired OL Yasir Durant from the Chiefs in exchange for a 2022 seventh-round pick. 

A second-year UDFA, Durant made zero regular season appearances as a rookie. A three-year starter at left tackle for Mizzou, Durant was billed as wide-bodied with 82nd-percentile arm length (34 3/4") coming out of the SEC. He is already 24 years old, so there is not much to do in the way of projection here. 

RELATED: 

Looks like fountain made it too!  Says these are the final cuts to get to 53.