Trying to find cause for pessimism

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

But I can't.  Something must be wrong that I am missing.

Still some concern about the run defense.  Nnadi will help and Clark should be back, but CLE and TENN will be challenges on the ground.  Most games, the Chiefs should be able to overpower the opponents with offense, but they need some stops along the way.   I don't trust Ward and who knows if Thornhill gets his head together.  Also, Smith and Niang may not look as good when Garrett and Clowney are lined up on the same side against them.

There, is that enough pessimism for the morning? 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Still some concern about the run defense.  Nnadi will help and Clark should be back, but CLE and TENN will be challenges on the ground.  Most games, the Chiefs should be able to overpower the opponents with offense, but they need some stops along the way.   I don't trust Ward and who knows if Thornhill gets his head together.  Also, Smith and Niang may not look as good when Garrett and Clowney are lined up on the same side against them.

Yes. Now u have my attention. 

38 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Garrett and Clowney can make any defense look weak at times.  Looking at the defense, I think we will get at least 2 more stops per game.  With an improved O-line which will gel further and an improved D-line and LB's and better secondary, and with Mahomes and better depth everywhere, it is hard to see us losing more than a couple of games. We will also withstand injuries better than most teams because of improved depth.  Our most difficult stretch will be the first five games, then smooth sailing.  I  haven't been more optimistic since our Super Bowl IV year, a half century ago. Even 2019 was iffy, because of the weak defense and the reliance totally upon Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill...and we only squeaked through the playoffs and were behind in the Super Bowl then. We won, because it was OUR time.  Now, if we win the whole thing, it will be because we are truly the best. But the strongest thing of all is the cameraderie, youth, and fun. A good nickname would be "The Fifty-Three Musketeers."

Must be a bad sign.

Only hesitant on pass rush from the ends. Clark is meh most games and time well tell on moving Jones to DE, but the addition of Reed will help significantly. That is pretty much my only area of pessimism. 

Two years was worried about DB, but proved unnecessary because spags knows what he's doing. LB will become a strength as Gay Bolton gain reps. Watkins was out half the season so WR is a wash. Only fear is injuries.

Year will end with 3 straight SB appearances and 2 rings! Go Chiefs!

51 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Only hesitant on pass rush from the ends. Clark is meh most games and time well tell on moving Jones to DE, but the addition of Reed will help significantly. That is pretty much my only area of pessimism. 

Two years was worried about DB, but proved unnecessary because spags knows what he's doing. LB will become a strength as Gay Bolton gain reps. Watkins was out half the season so WR is a wash. Only fear is injuries.

damn how I hope you are right!

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Garrett and Clowney can make any defense look weak at times.  Looking at the defense, I think we will get at least 2 more stops per game.  With an improved O-line which will gel further and an improved D-line and LB's and better secondary, and with Mahomes and better depth everywhere, it is hard to see us losing more than a couple of games. We will also withstand injuries better than most teams because of improved depth.  Our most difficult stretch will be the first five games, then smooth sailing.  I  haven't been more optimistic since our Super Bowl IV year, a half century ago. Even 2019 was iffy, because of the weak defense and the reliance totally upon Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill...and we only squeaked through the playoffs and were behind in the Super Bowl then. We won, because it was OUR time.  Now, if we win the whole thing, it will be because we are truly the best. But the strongest thing of all is the cameraderie, youth, and fun. A good nickname would be "The Fifty-Three Musketeers."

Must be a bad sign.

No offense but has any player in the last decade of the NFL been more overhyped than Clowney?   Seriously, we busted Eric Fishers balls for his play but he has just as good of a career as Clowney's career.   Clowney is a physical speciman that made one nasty hit on a RB in college and has been coasting ever since.    Garett is another story and is a scary good player.   They will have their hands full no doubt but I'm glad we are facing some tough defenses early this year so they can gel, learn, and get better for the playoffs.   

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Must be a bad sign.

I'm also more hopeful than at any time in the Reid era..  My point is that there are still some areas of concern.  One of those is that as good as Smith and Niang have looked so far, they haven't really been tested.  Expect to see them make tons of good plays but also make some rookie mistakes against the league's best.  It has to be accepted if the Chiefs are going to have the super line we hope for over the next five years. 

36 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

No offense but has any player in the last decade of the NFL been more overhyped than Clowney?   Seriously, we busted Eric Fishers balls for his play but he has just as good of a career as Clowney's career.   Clowney is a physical speciman that made one nasty hit on a RB in college and has been coasting ever since.    Garett is another story and is a scary good player.   They will have their hands full no doubt but I'm glad we are facing some tough defenses early this year so they can gel, learn, and get better for the playoffs.   

But Clowney always has a smile on his face.  C'mon.

37 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

I'll play. Anytime Niemann and or Dirty Dan are on the field any good offensive cordinator should expose them over and over again. I'll admit Dan will make some plays here and there but Ben not so much.

Good ST guys. I don't mind them "on the field" for that.

I would truly like to be a fly on the wall at the coach’s meetings when they discuss Sorensen and Niemann. I’m sure they do what they are told and are great guys, but they just aren’t starting quality defenders. Either their decision making or lack of athleticism holds them both back. Clearly, Bolton and Thornhill should be starting over them. Sorensen has made tremendous plays over the years and I think he is a good  part time player. Niemann is like the coach’s son who always plays but is the sorriest player on the team. When Niemann does make a great play, it will be his first. I am still waiting…

9 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

If they run Ben out there, the defense could struggle a bit up the middle. Minnesota went right after him. Especially when Dan and him are on the field at the same time.

9 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Good ST guys. I don't mind them "on the field" for that.

They are good ST players no doubt and I honestly don't mind them on the roster but not as starting caliber players.  Niemann should be 5th LB and only on the field in the event of 2 or more injuries.   Dirty Dan the same. He isn't getting any younger and Irv Smith easily ran away from him.   I do believe Nieman is an intelligent player but what good does it do you to know whats happening if you aren't athletic enough to do anything about it.  

I do wish someone would ask why does he start and get so many snaps because by any reasonable metrics he is one of the worst LB's in the league and the eyeball test might be worse.  

At this point its been 3 years so I don't even think its an issue of if we can upgrade but rather Spags prefers these guys over better players.  Its a real head scratcher.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

If they run Ben out there, the defense could struggle a bit up the middle. Minnesota went right after him. Especially when Dan and him are on the field at the same time.

Irv Smith ran right by him with a simple move.  I wonder if Dan has lost a step something he can't afford to lose.

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Irv Smith ran right by him with a simple move.  I wonder if Dan has lost a step something he can't afford to lose.

He shows up in clutch time and is a true assassin when that happens. I recall many monster hits in big close games. He hurts people.  It's why they call him Dirty Dan. Its difficult to say whether that's worth keeping him, but that quality is really useful on special teams all the time. People can run away from him if they start with a little space, but that's the thing.  Sorensen knows where to be, so there usually isn't that kind of space. Plus, he is a big "team" type of guy who is willing to do whatever role is asked of him without obsessing about getting a bigger role or more snaps on D. He is not early career with big dreams, so he is not a source for dissatisfaction. I would be  sorry to see him go, but it could happen.