Trying to find cause for pessimism

Uh, this feels like a revenge tour mentality has sprung up with regard to this season and internal perceptions of what they want to accomplish this season. It’s super bowl or bust for these guys and for some of them it’s doing something epic like winning out undefeated.
Logic says no but I’m catching that let’s do something special vibe. 
and it’s kind of scary to have that kind of hubris.. perhaps 

12 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

At this point its been 3 years so I don't even think its an issue of if we can upgrade but rather Spags prefers these guys over better players.  Its a real head scratcher.

Have there been better players in camp?  The Chiefs have drafted LBs in the second round two years in a row and obviously are keeping both.  Bolton isn't known as a cover guy so I'm not sure what the alternative is at this time.  Maybe pick up a FA, but it would be a while to learn Spag's system.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Have there been better players in camp?  The Chiefs have drafted LBs in the second round two years in a row and obviously are keeping both.  Bolton isn't known as a cover guy so I'm not sure what the alternative is at this time.  Maybe pick up a FA, but it would be a while to learn Spag's system.  

The point is they could have brought in guys to upgrade.  KJ Wright is still a FA…….Niemann isn’t a young acsending player he is what he is and that is a good ST player that should never see the field and yet he starts and plays an unbelievable amount of snaps.   He’s slow, weak, and even when he diagnosis a play he can’t get there fast enough to make it.    I would also say Gay as a rookie with little experience and making constant mistakes offered more last year.  

23 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

The point is they could have brought in guys to upgrade.  KJ Wright is still a FA…….Niemann isn’t a young acsending player he is what he is and that is a good ST player that should never see the field and yet he starts and plays an unbelievable amount of snaps.   He’s slow, weak, and even when he diagnosis a play he can’t get there fast enough to make it.    I would also say Gay as a rookie with little experience and making constant mistakes offered more last year.  

I'd take KJ over numbnuts any day.  I don't see how playing a guy who's been nothing but a liability on the field makes any sense. Even if KJ is older and slower, he brings leadership and solid veteran presence in the LB room.  

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Still better in coverage than Neimann. So….?

Great posts to a thread of this title.  My feeling is that our glass is close to full.  No such thing as a completely full glass.  But it is fuller than I can recall since I have been a fan. That is about 52 years.  The glass includes the head coach, GM, owner, and coaching staff, not just the QB and current roster.  It also includes the intangibles of team chemistry and motivation, youth, as well as leaders among the players at each position group. I would add fan base and fan knowledge.  I have a hard time imagining any other team in the NFL having a glass quite this full.  The one thing that will always worry me is the factor of luck regarding injuries or major illnesses, to key players. There is no preparing for that other than depth, and I will take our depth over any other team.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Great posts to a thread of this title.  My feeling is that our glass is close to full.  No such thing as a completely full glass.  But it is fuller than I can recall since I have been a fan. That is about 52 years.  The glass includes the head coach, GM, owner, and coaching staff, not just the QB and current roster.  It also includes the intangibles of team chemistry and motivation, youth, as well as leaders among the players at each position group. I would add fan base and fan knowledge.  I have a hard time imagining any other team in the NFL having a glass quite this full.  The one thing that will always worry me is the factor of luck regarding injuries or major illnesses, to key players. There is no preparing for that other than depth, and I will take our depth over any other team.

Agree about the depth.  There's about 60 players I wish the Chiefs could keep.  Optimism is at an all time high, but as noted in another thread, the best team doesn't always win the SB.  Too many variables.  Over the course of 17 games, the Chiefs should win the vast majority.  In the playoffs, it only takes one stretch of bad luck to end the season.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Agree about the depth.  There's about 60 players I wish the Chiefs could keep.  Optimism is at an all time high, but as noted in another thread, the best team doesn't always win the SB.  Too many variables.  Over the course of 17 games, the Chiefs should win the vast majority.  In the playoffs, it only takes one stretch of bad luck to end the season.

Absolutely.  Some key plays in the playoff games are just plain lucky or unlucky.  Some of them depend on the eyes and judgement of the refs. and all of those teams make it to the playoffs for a reason. One thing that really, really impressed me in the preseason was that I don't recall a single encroachment penalty by the D-line and I think only one or two false starts from that super young O-line.  That is simply amazing to me.  Somebody is coaching them right.  That alone could make a big difference in a playoff game (Hello, D. Ford). I think there was only one PI penalty, though that depends a lot on the refs.  O and D holding was pretty infrequent considering all the marginal players on an 80 man roster. Amazing. Maybe they just don't call those things on iffy situations as much during pre-season, but that is not my recollection.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Absolutely.  Some key plays in the playoff games are just plain lucky or unlucky.  Some of them depend on the eyes and judgement of the refs. and all of those teams make it to the playoffs for a reason. One thing that really, really impressed me in the preseason was that I don't recall a single encroachment penalty by the D-line and I think only one or two false starts from that super young O-line.  That is simply amazing to me.  Somebody is coaching them right.  That alone could make a big difference in a playoff game (Hello, D. Ford). I think there was only one PI penalty, though that depends a lot on the refs.  O and D holding was pretty infrequent considering all the marginal players on an 80 man roster. Amazing. Maybe they just don't call those things on iffy situations as much during pre-season, but that is not my recollection.

You're correct that fewer PI calls are made in pre season.  But now that you brought it up, were there ANY false start penalties on the starting O-line?  Probably missed it, but if there were, it was very rare.  Smith and Niang are going to get beat occasionally, but Reid can scheme around plays when they're facing all pro linemen.

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

You're correct that fewer PI calls are made in pre season.  But now that you brought it up, were there ANY false start penalties on the starting O-line?  Probably missed it, but if there were, it was very rare.  Smith and Niang are going to get beat occasionally, but Reid can scheme around plays when they're facing all pro linemen.

I think there was one in game 2. But it was one of our seconds or thirds.  I was astonished at the discipline.

Pessimism..??

Orlando Brown getting beat by Speed rushers.

Ben Niemen stepping on the field for anything besides special teams

Dan Sorrenson being targeted every 3rd down

Lastly, the uneasy feeling that Willie Gay may be an injury warrior and we never get to see his full potential....

On 8/28/2021 at 10:11 PM, Calichief said:

If they run Ben out there, the defense could struggle a bit up the middle. Minnesota went right after him. Especially when Dan and him are on the field at the same time.

Armani Watts was a force in the preseason. He is a ball hawk, give him some time.

6 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

Armani Watts was a force in the preseason. He is a ball hawk, give him some time.

Not sure I said anything about Watts?

Ive liked Watts. If you look back, I wanted him to start late in his rookie year