Team Records

44 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

How does the 17th game affect single season records?  I assume they don't maintain 2 sets of records?  Really hate this 17th game.  

Yea. I dont like the 17 game or 1 team playoff bye. The NFL is a very greedy organization. It's all the MONEY, and that's all that matters. 

Baseball went through this when Roger Maris was closing in on Babe Ruth's single season home run record.  Ruth's widow raised such a fuss over the season being 162 games vs. the former 154 that the commissioner had an asterisk beside Maris's name in the record book.  It took many years before it was dropped because Ruth was a famous name and Maris wasn't popular in NY.  We've gotten beyond that and any records will stand regardless of the season length.

3 hours ago, artsy said:

Yea. I dont like the 17 game or 1 team playoff bye. The NFL is a very greedy organization. It's all the MONEY, and that's all that matters. 

I'm not a fan either.  The old way worked fine.  Odds are we'll end up with more meaningless games at the end of the season where teams aren't playing their starters.  The NFL, trying to fix what wasn't broken.  

Could also argue that players tend to sit that last game IF they already have a playoff spot unlike like years ago when players played every game...So maybe adding the 17th game just makes it more even for the newer guys muahaha

1 minute ago, Balto said:

Could also argue that players tend to sit that last game IF they already have a playoff spot unlike like years ago when players played every game...So maybe adding the 17th game just makes it more even for the newer guys muahaha

I think the NFL just wants to cash in a little more on their outstanding product..

26 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I agree that some records might get broke because now players will more than likely be playing 16 full games giving guys like Mahomes the chance to break some old records in the same time frame.  

Yeah a lot of records were safe or could not be extended on as a lot rested in the 16th game. Now those records will go down possibly and rest the 17th game.