Honey Badger COVID

Kansas City Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu has been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, according to the NFL’s official transaction report. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero noted that the safety tested positive.

Let’s review the rules on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, per NFL.com:

Vaccinated players or staff who test positive and are asymptomatic can return to duty after two negative tests 24 hours apart. For non-vaccinated persons who test positive, the 2020 protocols remain in place, requiring a 10-day isolation.

10-day isolation won’t be necessary, as Mathieu is fully vaccinated, according to friend-of-the-site Sam McDowell of The Kansas City Star.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 8:09 PM, AFCWEST said:

Kansas City Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu has been placed on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, according to the NFL’s official transaction report. NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero noted that the safety tested positive.

Let’s review the rules on the Reserve/COVID-19 list, per NFL.com:

Vaccinated players or staff who test positive and are asymptomatic can return to duty after two negative tests 24 hours apart. For non-vaccinated persons who test positive, the 2020 protocols remain in place, requiring a 10-day isolation.

10-day isolation won’t be necessary, as Mathieu is fully vaccinated, according to friend-of-the-site Sam McDowell of The Kansas City Star.

So this was 9 days ago. Teicher posted an article about 24 hrs ago saying the "After a recent positive test, Mathieu remains on the COVID-19 list and hasn't practiced this week. The Chiefs are holding out some hope he could play."

"Mathieu is vaccinated, a source said. According to NFL rules, he can return to the Chiefs after two negative COVID-19 tests within a 24-hour period as long as he's also free of symptoms."

I am guessing he is A) Not free of Symptoms and B] has not tested Negative

38 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

So this was 9 days ago. Teicher posted an article about 24 hrs ago saying the "After a recent positive test, Mathieu remains on the COVID-19 list and hasn't practiced this week. The Chiefs are holding out some hope he could play."

"Mathieu is vaccinated, a source said. According to NFL rules, he can return to the Chiefs after two negative COVID-19 tests within a 24-hour period as long as he's also free of symptoms."

I am guessing he is A) Not free of Symptoms and B] has not tested Negative

everything is day to day

I thought he had to have two negative tests 24 hours apart.  So technically he could test negative at noon on Saturday and then negative again on game day 1 minute after noon and then be able to play.  I'm guessing if he had tested negative today we would have hear about it.   IMO, not looking good for Sunday.

Tyrann Mathieu activated from COVID list in time to play vs. Browns

After a week or more spent holding our collective breath in Chiefs Kingdom, the K.C. Chiefs have announced they’ve activated star safety Tyrann Mathieu from the COVID/reserve list just in time to play on Sunday against the Cleveland Browns.

The Chiefs made a surprise move when they first placed Mathieu on the COVID/reserve list late last week after he’d tested positive for the coronavirus. The move brought a cloud over the team’s secondary given his overall importance, but the team remained positive in the early going with the belief he would be back for the team’s season-opening game and even practice leading up to the Browns contest.

Unfortunately for the Chiefs and Mathieu, things had not gone according to plan until Saturday as Mathieu continued to miss practice throughout the week. Late this week, defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo admitted they had a Plan B in the event Mathieu could not go. Finally on Saturday, the literal last day for the Chiefs to activate him in time to play on Sunday afternoon, the team got their answer.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Team is evaluating Mathieu to see if he can go from a conditioning standpoint since he hasn't practiced with the team all week. Hope he was working out on his own in anticipation he could play. I say he will be out there come game time.

He was remoting into all the meetings.  But working out on his own is not the same as practicing and being in game shape.  We'll see.  I would bet money HB wants to play the full game and it'll be the coaches and trainers that have to pull him back if they put him on a snap count.

4 hours ago, xen said:

He was remoting into all the meetings.  But working out on his own is not the same as practicing and being in game shape.  We'll see.  I would bet money HB wants to play the full game and it'll be the coaches and trainers that have to pull him back if they put him on a snap count.

I agree with this. However, we see guys not practice all week and still play in games all the time. Andy tends to err on the side of caution more than a lot of coaches. Close to game time. With or without the HB ....I can't wait.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I hope this lackadaisical defensive performance is not due to the the lack of the HB..if it is ..pay the man

He could have had the defense in better position, but against the runs, I'm not sure HB would have made much difference..  Hope he's 100% up to speed next week. 

1 hour ago, Dan4pres said:

Say what you want about Clark, he is good run stuffer and they missed him. It won’t get any easier against Baltimore so they need him next week.

Agree.  Say what you want about Clark not being worth his contract or even that he's missed too many snaps, but he's still an effective D lineman and is missed. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

Did anyone notice at one point during the 2nd half they showed Honey Badger on the sideline, hands on knees, seemingly catching his breath?  Wondering if he was all amped up and got out of breath? 

May have had respiratory issues with COVID. Time will tell 

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

May have had respiratory issues with COVID. Time will tell 

That’s what I thought seeing him hunched over spitting with his hands on his knees.  No other reason he’d not be playing in this game after being taken off the covid list.  Here’s to his full and healthy recovery!  

22 minutes ago, Mr Ev said:

That’s what I thought seeing him hunched over spitting with his hands on his knees.  No other reason he’d not be playing in this game after being taken off the covid list.  Here’s to his full and healthy recovery!  

Can one be that affected by recent infection and still test negative?  Just curious. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Can one be that affected by recent infection and still test negative?  Just curious. 

He can get rid of the virus itself but if he developed pneumonia it's going to linger for a while. Obviously it should take shorter for a young pro athlete with great staff to look after him but can take up to 6 months for regular people to get back to 100% and some fail to get there as well :(