4 TE's 1 Reciever

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Maybe. How about Hill with a direct snap on this play.?

I'd actually be surprised if all four TEs are active for Sunday.  Not sure who the inactives will be, but the team usually doesn't even keep four of the roster.  Mrs. and I went to lunch with friends today at Jack Stacks and EB was eating in a booth across the aisle from us.  Should have given him my game plan for Sunday, but we all were too busy scarfing down the burnt ends and ribs special.  Anyway, he didn't ask for my input on four TE plays.     

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'd actually be surprised if all four TEs are active for Sunday.  Not sure who the inactives will be, but the team usually doesn't even keep four of the roster.  Mrs. and I went to lunch with friends today at Jack Stacks and EB was eating in a booth across the aisle from us.  Should have given him my game plan for Sunday, but we all were too busy scarfing down the burnt ends and ribs special.  Anyway, he didn't ask for my input on four TE plays.     

I think KC considers a couple of those guys as receivers too. So 4 active could be. I think Reid looks for the unusual opportunities. 

Would like Andy to show case it a few times at the beginning of the year to set up something big later in the year.   I have my doubts they will activate all 4 though.

Gotta have 5 on the 53 that won’t play.  Who are they?  Fountain, Lammons, OL, ? .

Gard to imagine us rolling with more than 3.

11 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Would like Andy to show case it a few times at the beginning of the year to set up something big later in the year.   I have my doubts they will activate all 4 though.

Gotta have 5 on the 53 that won’t play.  Who are they?  Fountain, Lammons, OL, ? .

Lots of options. Especially in the RED Zone.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

What was it Pete Sweeney said the other day?.....14 personnel was used a total of 13 snaps in the entire NFL last year? Andy is gonna use it a time or two but I wouldn't get my hopes up it's gonna be a " thing".

Agree. I do think these TE will see work flanked out & in the slot. Red Zone  & short yardage could be 14.

18 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think having 53 on the roster, but not being able to use all 53 is horse shit. Every team should be able to use the entire roster. The practice squad should be for those that don't play, not those on the active roster. 

2 minutes ago, Wolfscall said:

I think having 53 on the roster, but not being able to use all 53 is horse shit. Every team should be able to use the entire roster. The practice squad should be for those that don't play, not those on the active roster. 

Agree. Players would be a little better protected with a few extra substitutions and maybe not have to make a minor injury a season ending injury.

Why the Chiefs’ four-man tight end room is pivotal to 2021 success

The personnel groupings Andy Reid has at his disposal this season should help open up a balanced attack on offense.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/9/7/22660028/why-the-chiefs-four-man-tight-end-room-is-pivotal-to-2021-success

While the decrease in multiple tight end sets was a footnote in a successful 2020 regular season for the Chiefs, the significance of the change reared its ugly head on the biggest stage. Despite having each of its starting offensive tackles sidelined with injuries in Super Bowl LV, the Chiefs used five-man protection on 92.3% of dropbacks. That was the third-highest usage rate of five-man protection by any team in the NFL Next Gen Stats era (since 2016).

It’s no wonder bringing back Bell was one of the team’s priorities in free agency, along with signing offensive guards Joe Thuney and Kyle Long. The Chiefs did not trust its backup tight ends in pass protection when it needed them the most in the 2020 season.

That should change with the depth the team has at the position now. In addition to using its tight ends to chip block — a quick-hitting block players use before releasing into a route — the Chiefs have the luxury of dedicating full-time tight end help in pass protection when the scouting report calls for it. With the trio of Patrick Mahomes, Tyreek Hill and Kelce always a threat to create plays, the team can afford to use a player like Bell in-line to reinforce its pass protection. Per Pro Football Focus, Bell only gave up four pressures (including one sack) in 90 pass-blocking snaps for the Chiefs in 2019. Last season with the Dallas Cowboys, Bell did not allow a pressure in 43 pass-blocking snaps.

The genius way Reid utilized his tight ends on the play was lost in the excitement of the Chiefs simply lining up in 14 personnel against the Vikings. Kelce, Gray, and Fortson — whom defenses may consider ‘receiving tight ends’ — immediately broke out into passing routes at the snap of the ball. Bell — who often gets the “blocking” tight end tag — engaged a defender at the line of scrimmage for a few moments before slipping off the block and settling over the middle of the field for a touchdown catch. That is insanely tough to stop.

While it remains to be seen how often the Chiefs will utilize multiple tight end sets this year, a few things are certain: The opportunities are endless, and the Chiefs have a plan. The diversity of personnel groupings — and play calls out of those groupings — that Reid has at his disposal this season should help open up the balanced attack the Chiefs want to establish. The tight end room will play a pivotal role in making it all tick.

Versatility

Tight ends are among the most versatile players on NFL rosters, making them invaluable assets on offense (and special teams, too). Somewhere near the intersection of a mini offensive lineman and a beefed-up wide receiver (literally — in Fortson’s case), modern NFL tight ends are capable of creating mismatches all over the field.

With a full cupboard of contributors at the position, the Chiefs’ offense increases its chances of finding and exploiting those mismatches. Some teams have athletic off-ball linebackers who can match up with fast tight ends in the slot. Others have big cornerbacks who can match the physicality of tight ends on the boundary. Not every team has both those types of players on its roster, and few teams have multiples of them.

As Kelce put it this offseason, defenses “bring in more linebackers or a bigger guy because we’re bringing in bigger guys, so they try to match the personnel, which can also kind of play in our advantage because we’ve got guys that can run routes everywhere in the tight end room. It’s just trying to take advantage of those mismatches and just be accountable for the team. Anything that coach Reid can imagine, we want to be able to give him that option to call.”

Multiple-tight end sets

Reid is one of the most successful play-callers in the league using multiple tight end sets — partially due to his creativity but also because of the run-pass balance he maintains. While, traditionally, teams have utilized multiple tight ends to gain an extra blocker in the running game, Reid tends to stick to the same mix of play-calling he would use with one tight end on the field. The Chiefs have proven its pass catchers thrive in multiple-tight end sets. In the 2018 season, Hill, Kelce and Sammy Watkins each finished in the top 20 of receiving yards out of 12 personnel. Mahomes added 13 touchdowns.

Reid is a master at diversifying the assignments of his tight ends out of multiple tight end sets. He baits defenses into developing assumptions about the Chiefs’ play calls and flips their expectations against them. Running back LeSean McCoy — who played for Reid in both Kansas City and Philadelphia — told the Kansas City Star he thinks “Coach (Reid) likes drawing up plays in 12 personnel. Run, pass, whatever it is, they all look the same. That’s how you psyche teams out: by having everything look the same.”

It’s one of the reasons Mahomes and Kelce are so effective with the run-pass option.

Kelce seems to agree.

“I think we’ve got a lot of mismatch problems, man,” he told reporters on Wednesday. “It is what it is. I think we’ve got great athletes, especially the two young guys (Gray and Fortson) coming up and being very professional early on in their career, taking notes and figuring out natural instincts to be able to go out there and play in the field. And obviously, the veteran aspect in Blake Bell.”

Bell, a Super Bowl LIV champion, returned to the Chiefs this year after a sabbatical with the Dallas Cowboys.

“Having him back in the room and knowing that he knows the offense already — we just keep growing,” Kelce added. “There’s a lot of possibilities that we can do with that group.”

Friend-of-the-site Herbie Teope of The Kansas City Star followed up by asking for the name of personnel group, noting that 12 personnel (one running back and two tight ends) is called Tiger.

What does that make 14 personnel (one running back and all four tight ends)?

“That one’s T-Rex — T-Rex, baby,” Kelce said with a smile.

Easier said than done, but I really with this team would find that elusive H-back, everything that Kris Wilson was supposed to be but wasn't.  Line up at FB, motion out wide.  Carry the ball.  Catch passes out of the backfield.  Block.  You could use the FB roster spot on the guy, and have a TE as well.  One can dream. 

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

Easier said than done, but I really with this team would find that elusive H-back, everything that Kris Wilson was supposed to be but wasn't.  Line up at FB, motion out wide.  Carry the ball.  Catch passes out of the backfield.  Block.  You could use the FB roster spot on the guy, and have a TE as well.  One can dream. 

Is that what Grey is for?