Brown Jr looks like trash

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

He didn't play that badly, IMHO.  He can't keep rushers from going wide, but Mahomes has to step up into the pocket at times. 

That was one of the best things about the whole game...the way Mahomes stayed in the pocket and used it to take away much of what Myles Garret and J'Deveon Clowney can do.  I don't recall Brown giving up a sack and only a few pressures.  The guys were tasked in this game with giving Mahomes a pocket against the Brown's questionable seconday.  That puts run blocking in second place.  This new O-line is going to look really good when we play teams with good secondaries.  They will be creating gaps for CEH and McKinnon and will be pulling.  Creed Humphrey is great in space and excels in the running game.  Even with CEH being limited in the running game, he made a couple of key receptions and looked really, really good at it.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

That was one of the best things about the whole game...the way Mahomes stayed in the pocket mostly and used it to take away much of what Myles Garrett and J'Deveon Clowney can do.  I don't recall Brown giving up a sack and only a few pressures.  The guys were tasked in this game with giving Mahomes a pocket against the Brown's questionable seconday.  That puts run blocking in second place.  This new O-line is going to look really good when we play teams with good secondaries.  They will be creating gaps for CEH and McKinnon and will be pulling.  Creed Humphrey is great in space and excels in the running game.  Even with CEH being limited in the running game, he made a couple of key receptions and looked really, really good at it.

Mahomes will have to adjust to playing with a pocket. Brown wasn't great but he wasn't bad either, I think he'll improve as the season goes on. The downside for Brown is that he'll be the primary target to get through to stop Mahomes so teams will be studying him extensively and he'll always be in the spotlight. There's not much he can do if a speedy pass rusher goes wide but as long as the unit can solidify the pocket he'll get better. 

Also it wouldn't hurt to have the defenses worry about the run, we'll have some blitzes piling up as well which will be a whole other challenge. 

46 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Brown struggled some, but like others said, Miles is a beast. I thought Niang would do better against Clowney. Clowney is not that good. All considered, it was a decent first game for a line that will only get better.

Clooney is good at getting pressure just doesn't finish.  Let's not get it mixed up.  He's a good end.  

10 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I thought he looked lost; granted Garrett is a stud DE but he played him 2x last year and never looked that bad.

Guys ran right past him and only Mahomes stepping up prevented a sack or a hit. When Mahomes go sandwiched I thought he was hurt; big hit.

I am sure Garrett won a few, but most of the time he ran right by Brown, because an RPO was called.  The tackles are supposed to keep the pass rushers deep.