Brown Jr looks like trash

1 hour ago, xen said:

Clooney is good at getting pressure just doesn't finish.  Let's not get it mixed up.  He's a good end.  

He used to be. We will see how he does this year. I think he will do better than 3 sacks over the last 2 years, but I don't think he will be much of a force.

Brown struggled with the speed rush just like he did in training camp and preseason. He seems to need more work with on his footwork. I think Heck will get these boys playing. I mean look what Heck was able to do last year with a bunch of jags?? 

I think Pat and Brown will have to just come to some kind of understanding: Pat will always need to step up in the pocket because both Niang and Brown are big road graders not fleet footed finesse tackles..

I "think" they'll get it worked out. 

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

I thought he looked lost; granted Garrett is a stud DE but he played him 2x last year and never looked that bad.

Guys ran right past him and only Mahomes stepping up prevented a sack or a hit. When Mahomes go sandwiched I thought he was hurt; big hit.

Brown was only a fill-in LT previously.  This is his first year as a starter at LT.  His feet will never be as fast as Fisher's, but his size and strength are far superior.  He will be fine...and MUCH better in the run game and in creating a pocket for Mahomes. All he has to do is re-direct a rusher, if Mahomes steps up.  He did a lot of that yesterday. Reid and Mahomes will strategize against speed rushers by using the pocket more and getting rid of the ball more to CEH as an outlet.  CEH did that well yesterday.  I was impressed.  We will see a lot more of it, especially against great pass rushing teams.

22 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Brown was only a fill-in LT previously.  This is his first year as a starter at LT.  His feet will never be as fast as Fisher's, but his size and strength are far superior.  He will be fine...and MUCH better in the run game and in creating a pocket for Mahomes. All he has to do is re-direct a rusher, if Mahomes steps up.  He did a lot of that yesterday. Reid and Mahomes will strategize against speed rushers by using the pocket more and getting rid of the ball more to CEH as an outlet.  CEH did that well yesterday.  I was impressed.  We will see a lot more of it, especially against great pass rushing teams.

Well said and maybe keeping 4 TEs is one way Reid plans to strategize those speed rushers.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

I thought he looked lost; granted Garrett is a stud DE but he played him 2x last year and never looked that bad.

Guys ran right past him and only Mahomes stepping up prevented a sack or a hit. When Mahomes go sandwiched I thought he was hurt; big hit.

It takes a while when switching from protecting a real passing QB instead of a RB posing as a QB.  🙂

Brown doesn't have quick feet and has to play accordingly.  He still can protect but Mahomes has to adjust his spot.  Niang is pretty quick for such a big guy and with more experience could be a top tackle.  He just hasn't played that much, especially recently.  How did Smith do?  I didn't get a read on him. 

14 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

That was one of the best things about the whole game...the way Mahomes stayed in the pocket and used it to take away much of what Myles Garret and J'Deveon Clowney can do.  I don't recall Brown giving up a sack and only a few pressures.  The guys were tasked in this game with giving Mahomes a pocket against the Brown's questionable seconday.  That puts run blocking in second place.  This new O-line is going to look really good when we play teams with good secondaries.  They will be creating gaps for CEH and McKinnon and will be pulling.  Creed Humphrey is great in space and excels in the running game.  Even with CEH being limited in the running game, he made a couple of key receptions and looked really, really good at it.

both tackles .. did not play well on the second sack, yes mahomes contributed to it some. but they where both flat out beaten

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

He used to be. We will see how he does this year. I think he will do better than 3 sacks over the last 2 years, but I don't think he will be much of a force.

I think clowney is gonna be a force..  speccially with garrett on the other side of him.. he will clean up quite a few things.. 

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It takes a while when switching from protecting a real passing QB instead of a RB posing as a QB.  🙂

Brown doesn't have quick feet and has to play accordingly.  He still can protect but Mahomes has to adjust his spot.  Niang is pretty quick for such a big guy and with more experience could be a top tackle.  He just hasn't played that much, especially recently.  How did Smith do?  I didn't get a read on him. 

I am rooting for Brown. Hated the trade. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

I am rooting for Brown. Hated the trade. 

I think Pat will have to modify his game vs Brown modifying his. Pat will have to minimize his drops and step up in the pocket. Brown visibly struggles with speed. But once he gets locked on the DE, he can hold. 

Just now, artsy said:

I think Pat will have to modify his game vs Brown modifying his. Pat will have to minimize his drops and step up in the pocket. Brown visibly struggles with speed. But once he gets locked on the DE, he can hold. 

I dont understand why KC would want Mahomes to modify to fit anyone else. Why this focus on in the pocket. Let Mahomes play ball! 

28 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I dont understand why KC would want Mahomes to modify to fit anyone else. Why this focus on in the pocket. Let Mahomes play ball! 

Uhhh, because Brown can't modify his?? Brown is a road grader, not a finesse tackle. Soooo, it seems easier IMO to have mahomes shorten his drops, than try to have Brown do something he can't physically do.

Just now, artsy said:

Uhhh, because Brown can't modify his?? Brown is a road grader, not a finesse tackle. Soooo, it seems easier IMO to have mahomes shorten his drops, than try to have Brown do something he can't physically do.

Still Mahomes is a superstar. Why trade a top pick and then sign a guy to a huge contract when they cant? Big bucks for a guy with limitation.

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Still Mahomes is a superstar. Why trade a top pick and then sign a guy to a huge contract when they cant? Big bucks for a guy with limitation.

I agree with your question, but we have to assume they knew what they were getting right?

So maybe they want to run the ball better, and decided to take a guy with an A+ run blocking grade and C+ pass blocking grade and would count on Mahomes to make some minor adjustments?

I mean once Brown locks on to the DE, he does well. His lateral speed and footwork is not there...yet. I don't know if that's fixable??? He may not be athletic enough??

If you go back and watch some Raven's games, he never has to worry much because Lamar does not drift back like Pat does and they run the ball way more than we do so DEs have to respect the run....Not with us. I watched the splits both Garret and Clowney were taking and they were VERY WIDE.

11 minutes ago, artsy said:

I agree with your question, but we have to assume they knew what they were getting right?

So maybe they want to run the ball better, and decided to take a guy with an A+ run blocking grade and C+ pass blocking grade and would count on Mahomes to make some minor adjustments?

I mean once Brown locks on to the DE, he does well. His lateral speed and footwork is not there...yet. I don't know if that's fixable??? He may not be athletic enough??

If you go back and watch some Raven's games, he never has to worry much because Lamar does not drift back like Pat does and they run the ball way more than we do so DEs have to respect the run....Not with us. I watched the splits both Garret and Clowney were taking and they were VERY WIDE.

Seems correct. I still do not like the deal. . IM NOT SUGGESTING kc SHOULD HAVE A NOBODY BUT THATS GOING TO BE A LOT OF CAP SPACE ON A TACKLE WITH LIMITATIONS.

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Seems correct. I still do not like the deal. . IM NOT SUGGESTING kc SHOULD HAVE A NOBODY BUT THATS GOING TO BE A LOT OF CAP SPACE ON A TACKLE WITH LIMITATIONS.

there is a slight bit of assuming going on. Veach & Co dont seem soo stuck on themselves unlike Carl Peterson not to admit a mistake. I am sure if Brown shows little to no improvement they will move on. MVPat will have to  become more of a pocket passer and scramble less to prolong his career it's  just the way things are..maybe Brown and Patrick can find a happy place as the season progresses. I still have faith in Veach and not willing to set my hair on fire just quite yet.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

there is a slight bit of assuming going on. Veach & Co dont seem soo stuck on themselves unlike Carl Peterson not to admit a mistake. I am sure if Brown shows little to no improvement they will move on. MVPat will have to  become more of a pocket passer and scramble less to prolong his career it's  just the way things are..maybe Brown and Patrick can find a happy place as the season progresses. I still have faith in Veach and not willing to set my hair on fire just quite yet.

Exactly!

They did trade for him, but haven't done a new deal yet. I think Brown's limitations are the reason for that. 

I'm hopeful that Brown and Pat will work it out somehow.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Because it's a lot harder to ask tackles to hold blocks longer and force DEs several yards further down the field in a vertical set, than it is for the QB take a few steps up into the heart of the pocket. 

These tackles have been coached to do things a certain way fundamentally there whole careers. They are doing what they are supposed to. With Mahomes drifting he is doing what he is being coached NOT to do. He has admitted this himself numerous times. When he does this he is making his lines job harder. And that's why he got sandwiched on the last drop back he had yesterday.

No one is saying he has to stay in the pocket at all times. Everyone knows his ability to make plays outside the pocket is the best we've seen from a QB in a long long time. 

He just can't turn 7 step drops into 11 step drops and expect his tackles to just stonewall defenders while he is going through his progressions. He has to step up and throw the check down or throw it away once in awhile.

It's a slippery slope because you don't want to takeaway his magic. But it's a change even he has admitted he needs to make.

17 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Because it's a lot harder to ask tackles to hold blocks longer and force DEs several yards further down the field in a vertical set, than it is for the QB take a few steps up into the heart of the pocket. 

These tackles have been coached to do things a certain way fundamentally there whole careers. They are doing what they are supposed to. With Mahomes drifting he is doing what he is being coached NOT to do. He has admitted this himself numerous times. When he does this he is making his lines job harder. And that's why he got sandwiched on the last drop back he had yesterday.

No one is saying he has to stay in the pocket at all times. Everyone knows his ability to make plays outside the pocket is the best we've seen from a QB in a long long time. 

He just can't turn 7 step drops into 11 step drops and expect his tackles to just stonewall defenders while he is going through his progressions. He has to step up and throw the check down or throw it away once in awhile.

It's a slippery slope because you don't want to takeaway his magic. But it's a change even he has admitted he needs to make.

You spelled this out nicely. Thanks.  Im not making that deal unless the guy is complete and can move better. Giving away picks and huge money for an above average at best tackle is questionable. Elite would be a reason to make that deal. I will root for Brown and will not be surprised if it ends up a success. After all Im just a Monday morning fan. What do I know?