Thoughts on the game

This wasn’t a great game, but it was a great win.   IMO it was just another game to our team outside of it being our home opener but this was a huge game for the Browns.  It showed to start the game.   

Clark, HB, and Gay being out were huge losses vs a very talented team that loves running the ball.    

Juan took advantage today of the extra time and looks to be rounding back into form.   Had two game changing plays.  

Bolton looks like a major upgrade for us at LB when he gets more exp.

Oline looked pretty good vs a great dline.  They weren’t perfect but they there were enough flashes that barring injuries this Oline is gonna be a force come midseason.

Anyone else think CEH isn’t seeing the holes well?  Looked like some good sized holes but either hesitation, juking or not seeing them kept him from breaking a few open?    Almost feels like we need a back who hits a hole hard and fast instead of a patient runner like CEH.   I might be way off just seemed like he would run into the pile a lot instead of hitting the hole.   First game back so not overly worried…..yet.

Ben Niemann might be the worst LB in league history.   I don’t even blame Veach anymore.   Spags loves the guy.  He gets washed out of plays so easily it’s not even funny.  It is 10v11 when he’s on the field.

We need a #2 wr.   Robinson won’t get it done.   Mecole is a great gadget player but im having serious doubts he can ever be a viable option.  

Mahomes, Kelce, and Hill are HOF caliber players that are so fun to watch!

Chris Jones is a one man wrecking crew.  

That Browns team is more balanced and far scarier than the Bills or Ravens IMO.   

That was a huge win and yes it was ugly but we took their best shot and didn’t come close to playing our best and got a win vs a divisional opponent that will not doubt be in contention for that bye.  

37 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

This wasn’t a great game, but it was a great win.   IMO it was just another game to our team outside of it being our home opener but this was a huge game for the Browns.  It showed to start the game.   

Clark, HB, and Gay being out were huge losses vs a very talented team that loves running the ball.    

Juan took advantage today of the extra time and looks to be rounding back into form.   Had two game changing plays.  

Oline looked pretty good vs a great dline.  They weren’t perfect but they there were enough flashes that barring injuries this Oline is gonna be a force come midseason.

Anyone else think CEH isn’t seeing the holes well?  Looked like some good sized holes but either hesitation, juking or not seeing them kept him from breaking a few open?    Almost feels like we need a back who hits a hole hard and fast instead of a patient runner like CEH.   I might be way off just seemed like he would run into the pile a lot instead of hitting the hole.   First game back so not overly worried…..yet.

Ben Niemann might be the worst LB in league history.   I don’t even blame Veach anymore.   Spags loves the guy.  He gets washed out of plays so easily it’s not even funny.  It is 10v11 when he’s on the field.

We need a #2 wr.   Robinson won’t get it done.   Mecole is a great gadget player but im having serious doubts he can ever be a viable option.  

That was a huge win and yes it was ugly but we took their best shot and didn’t come close to playing our best and got a win vs a divisional opponent that will not doubt be in contention for that bye.  

Agree with nearly all of that.  Bolton showed talent, but needs experience badly.  Some good plays and some out of position.  Neiman, DRob, and Ward need to be replaced.  Getting Gay back will help the Neiman situation, but Why is DRob playing ahead of Kemp or Fountain?  With Kelce as the de facto #2, the Chiefs don't need the next Jerry Rice, just someone who has their head in the game.  Hardman running out of bounds short of the first down marker was a rookie blunder made by a third year player.  Ward played worse than last year which was worse than 2019.  CEH running into the pile instead of veering to the open spots may have something to do with the un-gelled O-line.  That can be fixed.  It would be nice to see a few more passes to him and/or McKinnon.  

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Great summary. I don’t think CEH. Will be ever be the back we need. Just based on what we’ve seen. The sample size is there. It doesn’t help we don’t line up with the intention to run either. I miss Kareem hunt. Offense hasn’t been as good since he left: IMO.  
everything else you nailed.

baker > Hughes 

bolton is the real deal. 
need a #2 pass rusher bad. 
#2 wr needs to be Pringle for now.

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Agree with everything but CEH. People are going to eat their words with this one. The kids gonna be a stud. 

Agree with most of it. After thinking over it the focus of this game is frustration on my part. We seem to be too good in some areas for others to stand a chance but I've basically watched the 2018 Chiefs with the old man running the defense. I don't know if it's entirely due to loss of HB or the lack of LB depth but it was brutal. Even the decent performers at secondary took a step back.

First of all Browns were great, they started with a single mentality of keeping up with the Chiefs on offense as they were already probably aware of the defensive deficiencies. 

I think CEH will end up being a bust simply due to lack of usage. He's not getting enough workload to build a rhythm so his numbers will remain pedestrian and without the rushing confidence he doesn't seem to be useful elsewhere either. If Reid comes up with a few run-first drives I think the offense will really open up and CEH will actually help out. I don't know what role Hardman is supposed to play, still not getting targets and others seem to be getting more love in critical situations. I feel like we'll occasionally get a couple nice games from Hardman/Robinson/Pringle during the season but right now we have only 2 receivers in Hill and Kelce. 

I loved the OL play. There's room to improve at tackle but the interior is much better than it has ever been in the Reid era. Loved seeing Mahomes get some pocket to work with and this is a solid pass rush we were facing. I think the line will get much better as the youngsters progress during the season.

I think Bolton will be a decent LB this year but I expect him to be a stud by 2022. He seems to be filling in at times due to lack of depth but not sure if that's the goal for him this season or if things will progress faster once Gay comes back. 

I haven’t liked what ive seen from ceh either, some his fault, a lot the coaching staffs. You simply do not draft a back like ceh and then follow up with ZERO intentions to use him in the passing game. He is not overly fast, he is not big, his advantage is a great route runner and catcher of the football.

we should take note how dumb it is to draft a rb round 1, as this is the perfect example of the ideal situation to do so and it still is a failure. Chiefs had a “loaded”  roster and could “afford” to waste a pick on rb. Chiefs desperately needed Rb on the roster, chiefs had the opportunity to select any rb they wanted in the draft. And still its a totally wasted pick.

agree with lots of the points in the OPs post. Although i dont think clark is a huge loss, maybe hb and gay.  

btw when this team is getting ran on they need to roll out a d line of jones, wharton, reed, nnadi, saunders and leave the d ends danna, okafor, and kaindoh off the field. Just simple punt on pass rush and stop the run and dare the other team to out pass the chiefs

Their D line was better than our O line. Their O line was better than our D line. They put pressure on Pat, but we didn't get a lot on Mayfield. I focused mostly on Jones and Niang. Jones got a lot of double teams, but the other guys did not put much of any pressure on the QB. Clowney really took it to Niang. I expect our O line to struggle for a while, but expect to see the D line be a strength.

This was a tough game. Browns came to play. A quality win.

It was a GREAT win:

It's going to come down to KC, Cleveland and Buffalo.....This was a "must win" for KC and Buffalo Choked at home.  Perfect

What did I see yesterday?

1. Mahomes, Kelce and Hill are really unstoppable.

2. He is MVPat for a reason

3. Spags can make adjustments at 1/2 time

4. Bolton is going to be a player

5. O-line was good, but they will be much better, As Xen said on a different thread- Communication needs to get better

6. Arrowhead remains the best Home field advantage in of sports.  (Punter dropped the ball...LOL)

7. More Marcus Kemp might help....D Rob is MEH...

8. Nieman is not very good

Meh I thought the OLine was kinda shitty IMO.  Yes they will improve and it wasn’t bad for having 3 rookies on the right side but I took my homer glasses off for this game and the OLine needs to improve.

oh and we should of drafted Schwartz errrrr

53 minutes ago, West said:

It was a GREAT win:

It's going to come down to KC, Cleveland and Buffalo.....This was a "must win" for KC and Buffalo Choked at home.  Perfect

What did I see yesterday?

1. Mahomes, Kelce and Hill are really unstoppable.

2. He is MVPat for a reason

3. Spags can make adjustments at 1/2 time

4. Bolton is going to be a player

5. O-line was good, but they will be much better, As Xen said on a different thread- Communication needs to get better

6. Arrowhead remains the best Home field advantage in of sports.  (Punter dropped the ball...LOL)

7. More Marcus Kemp might help....D Rob is MEH...

8. Nieman is not very good

9. Hitchens is also not very good. He plays so damn passive, by waiting for the rb to come to him before he even attempts to make a tackle.

10. Orlando Brown continues to struggle with speed rushers

11. Something is different with CEH. He does not look like he did last year..

My thoughts:

This was always one of the "loseable" games on the schedule.  We have a lot of new faces and we were missing some key people.  As good teams do, we found a way to win it.  And it's the kind of game we are getting used to winning instead of losing.  It's early, but this game could very well have playoff and tie breaker implications.  1. Could be better for sure.  2. Will be better for sure.  3. Hard to complain about a team winning these games.  

I saw chris jones take over a game.  Completely and totally.. 

I saw signs of a very, very good offensive line. 

I saw the simple fact, that you can not take away both kelce and hill.. 

I saw mahomes figure out which of the two to get the ball to. 

I saw ceh catch it in the flats. 

I saw a direct snap to Bell?

In short, I saw a team come together, and get a hard fought win in week 1, against a pretty good football team. 

42 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

My thoughts:

This was always one of the "loseable" games on the schedule.  We have a lot of new faces and we were missing some key people.  As good teams do, we found a way to win it.  And it's the kind of game we are getting used to winning instead of losing.  It's early, but this game could very well have playoff and tie breaker implications.  1. Could be better for sure.  2. Will be better for sure.  3. Hard to complain about a team winning these games.  

Yes I agree.. I doubt the KC Coaches are preaching this. I doubt the players think this. I think some players will be benched or demoted after film review. Hope the TEAM is PISSED.

How would we all feel this morning if the Chiefs hadn't pulled this one out?  This game is one that the Chiefs would have lost before the Reid era.  A very motivated team with high expectations and top rated players in most positions came in and gave it their best shot and the Chiefs won.  Yet, so many of us are picking apart the faults on our favorite team instead of enjoying the win.  The Chiefs have issues, but we're riding a winner. 

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes I agree.. I doubt the KC Coaches are preaching this. I doubt the players think this. I think some players will be benched or demoted after film review. Hope the TEAM is PISSED.

I'm not sure.  As far as I can tell, Andy and the staff have been pretty even keeled the entire time they have been here.  I'm sure they understand that they are playing against a team that can beat anyone in the league and I'm sure they are glad for the win.  I'm also sure they will look at things to improve on, and I expect they will improve.  But they don't have a history of benching/demoting/firing anyone.  And I think the consistent, professional approach has served us well.  

Just now, reesebobby said:

I'm not sure.  As far as I can tell, Andy and the staff have been pretty even keeled the entire time they have been here.  I'm sure they understand that they are playing against a team that can beat anyone in the league and I'm sure they are glad for the win.  I'm also sure they will look at things to improve on, and I expect they will improve.  But they don't have a history of benching/demoting/firing anyone.  And I think the consistent, professional approach has served us well.  

Thats what fans see publicly. KC is a class act. Behind the scenes is unknown. Dont have a history? Yes they do. You can not win without demoting, benching and firing , KAREEM HUNT, etc. 

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

How would we all feel this morning if the Chiefs hadn't pulled this one out?  This game is one that the Chiefs would have lost before the Reid era.  A very motivated team with high expectations and top rated players in most positions came in and gave it their best shot and the Chiefs won.  Yet, so many of us are picking apart the faults on our favorite team instead of enjoying the win.  The Chiefs have issues, but we're riding a winner. 

actually in my 12-5 prediction and being a 3rd seed in the playoffs because of a tie breaker loss it was my belief it was because of a loss in this or the Buffalo game add to the law of averages of  the Browns  sooner than later breaking their first  game losing streak and MVPats perfect Sept record which has to be broken sooner or later. I woulda thought how much  It sucks to be right

Just now, AFCWEST said:

Thats what fans see publicly. KC is a class act. Behind the scenes is unknown. Dont have a history? Yes they do. You can not win without demoting, benching and firing , KAREEM HUNT, etc. 

I'm not saying that they never do it.  All teams at all levels make adjustments.  But Kareem Hunt is probably not a good example.  

I think we know that behind the scenes that Andy is loyal.  Probably to a fault.  I think we know that he is a players coach.  I think we know he doesn't get pissed or shitty with people.  I think we know that getting pissed and rolling heads is not his style. 

You think we are going to replace Hitchens after 1 game?  Brown Jr? CEH? Who are we gonna replace these guys with?  People on this board were losing their shit about Chris Jones' FIRST HALF of the FIRST GAME.  I think the chances of wholesale change based on that first game are much less than no change at all.  

5 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm not saying that they never do it.  All teams at all levels make adjustments.  But Kareem Hunt is probably not a good example.  

I think we know that behind the scenes that Andy is loyal.  Probably to a fault.  I think we know that he is a players coach.  I think we know he doesn't get pissed or shitty with people.  I think we know that getting pissed and rolling heads is not his style. 

You think we are going to replace Hitchens after 1 game?  Brown Jr? CEH? Who are we gonna replace these guys with?  People on this board were losing their shit about Chris Jones' FIRST HALF of the FIRST GAME.  I think the chances of wholesale change based on that first game are much less than no change at all.  

I made none of those suggestions. I trust KC will evaluate and adjust based on what they see on film. Im not the coach and have no idea what changes need to be made. My eyes told me KC was LUCKY LUCKY LUCKY to win that game. Every team is now saying they will get better, more experience, guys coming back etc. Well not every team is going to get better. KC is well coached on all levels. My eyes expect to see changes next week.

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

Their D line was better than our O line. Their O line was better than our D line. They put pressure on Pat, but we didn't get a lot on Mayfield. I focused mostly on Jones and Niang. Jones got a lot of double teams, but the other guys did not put much of any pressure on the QB. Clowney really took it to Niang. I expect our O line to struggle for a while, but expect to see the D line be a strength.

This was a tough game. Browns came to play. A quality win.

I think Spags was more worried about their running the ball than blitzing Mayfield.  

The Browns have top units on the line.  Possibly top 3.   I think did pretty well considering the Oline is new and we missed Gay, HB, and Clark.    The Oline will get better and the D will too once those guys return.  

I agree it was a quality win and I think this game was a way bigger deal for the Browns than us.

54 minutes ago, jetlord said:

How would we all feel this morning if the Chiefs hadn't pulled this one out?  This game is one that the Chiefs would have lost before the Reid  Mahomes era.  A very motivated team with high expectations and top rated players in most positions came in and gave it their best shot and the Chiefs won.  Yet, so many of us are picking apart the faults on our favorite team instead of enjoying the win.  The Chiefs have issues, but we're riding a winner. 

Made a slight edit for you. We lost those types of games under Reid. 

Just now, azchief21 said:

Made a slight edit for you. We lost those types of games under Reid. 

Good point.  We got so used to snatching defeat from the jaws of victory that it's hard to pinpoint when it changed.  Certainly, the Mahomes era was the first time we could expect the Chiefs to come back from two or more scores down.