Thoughts on the game

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Nearly 400 yards.  Three TD passes.  33 points.  Ball control on short game in the third quarter.  Do the Chiefs really need another stud receiver?  Sure, another weapon would be nice, but how many target would he get?  Defenses can't cover what the Chiefs have now.  

I explained pretty clearly that it's has nothing to do with targets. It's about keeping defenses from being able to double other players. If you think that the Chiefs will be able to do this all year with what they have...more power to you. I hope you are right. But I have doubts.

8 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I explained pretty clearly that it's has nothing to do with targets. It's about keeping defenses from being able to double other players. If you think that the Chiefs will be able to do this all year with what they have...more power to you. I hope you are right. But I have doubts.

I would agree with this. It's more about the playoffs when the D's get better than anything.  All in all though, it's a high level criticism considering how good they already are, but I do agree.

28 minutes ago, xen said:

I would agree with this. It's more about the playoffs when the D's get better than anything.  All in all though, it's a high level criticism considering how good they already are, but I do agree.

And we are an injury away from having one of the worst WR corps in the league. At this point it's debatable whether or not we even have a second above average WR.

5 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Why would you want to "dial back" CEH? How is he going to get into rhythm with LESS touches? How is he going to justify the pick everyone say was wasted on him with LESS touches? The dude got 14 carries yesterday. Your solution is to give him even less than that?

The reason this kid hasn't busted out isn't because the Chiefs were wrong about him when they evaluated him pre draft. It's because we have a head coach who just flat loves throwing the ball. Reid had games where he did this with Jamaal fucking Charles. 

When CEH starts getting fed, the kid will eat. Mark my words. He has a chance to be a hell of a weapon for us. And make defenses respect a run game that will open up the passing game more. It's on Reid to figure this out. History says he won't. 

If feeding him the ball results in him dominating, then fine. However my eye test tells me mckinnon is a better back. I dont care about justifying the pick, i want to play the best players. If im being honest im fine with feeding clyde the rock during the season and keeping mckinnon fresh for the playoffs. He has a history of being great but constantly injured 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Nearly 400 yards.  Three TD passes.  33 points.  Ball control on short game in the third quarter.  Do the Chiefs really need another stud receiver?  Sure, another weapon would be nice, but how many target would he get?  Defenses can't cover what the Chiefs have now.  

Yes, we at least need a decent third option, because if hill or kelce ever get injured we will be screwed. If hill gets hurt kelce gets double or triple teamed and its game over. This is why they need to make an effort to work in fortson and noah grey

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And we are an injury away from having one of the worst WR corps in the league. At this point it's debatable whether or not we even have a second above average WR.

I am less concerned than you.  Andy would adjust and so would Pat.  I think we have some options 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Yes, we at least need a decent third option, because if hill or kelce ever get injured we will be screwed. If hill gets hurt kelce gets double or triple teamed and its game over. This is why they need to make an effort to work in fortson and noah grey

I do believe CEH is that 3rd option. They get him involved with more passing if it needs to be done.

12 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think they need to address the WR group. They do not have a #2 WR in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I do believe CEH is that 3rd option. They get him involved with more passing if it needs to be done.

I expect Gray to evolve to that role during the season. Hill probably won't be hoarding all the targets so we'll have some more to go around and teams will likely cover Kelce extensively leaving any 3rd option to be relatively free on the field. In terms of WRs I think Pringle may emerge if given the chance but I don't expect either Robinson or Hardman to stick around after this season unless they make a huge leap. 

17 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It would be nice to have another target but you can see why we put so much effort into the run game.  They double our targets, we run the ball, they commit to stopping the run and have to leave either Kelce/Hill free.  Mahomes patience in that was huge, especially in the 3rd Q.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I expect Gray to evolve to that role during the season. Hill probably won't be hoarding all the targets so we'll have some more to go around and teams will likely cover Kelce extensively leaving any 3rd option to be relatively free on the field. In terms of WRs I think Pringle may emerge if given the chance but I don't expect either Robinson or Hardman to stick around after this season unless they make a huge leap. 

I kinda forgot about Gray.  Did he see the field?

2 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

It would be nice to have another target but you can see why we put so much effort into the run game.  They double our targets, we run the ball, they commit to stopping the run and have to leave either Kelce/Hill free.  Mahomes patience in that was huge, especially in the 3rd Q.

I agree. But the depth makes me nervous. Or a team scheming to take away Kelce by using LB/S to double him and Hill by using CB/S to bracket him. I realize this leaves very little in the way of run support and theoretically if a team actually had the coverage ability to do this, we should still carve them up on the ground. It would also leave almost no one left to blitz if a defense decided to bring more than 4.

But I still worry that it's going to start happening this way, and it's gonna be on Reid to realize this and start feeding the shit out of CEH. Again, historically Reid has shown he will not make this adjustment and just try to keep throwing.

56 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I agree. But the depth makes me nervous. Or a team scheming to take away Kelce by using LB/S to double him and Hill by using CB/S to bracket him. I realize this leaves very little in the way of run support and theoretically if a team actually had the coverage ability to do this, we should still carve them up on the ground. It would also leave almost no one left to blitz if a defense decided to bring more than 4.

But I still worry that it's going to start happening this way, and it's gonna be on Reid to realize this and start feeding the shit out of CEH. Again, historically Reid has shown he will not make this adjustment and just try to keep throwing.

I thought he made this adjustment in the third quarter, no?

24 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

I thought he made this adjustment in the third quarter, no?

We owned the 3rd quarter and adjustments were made at half. Heck the defense only played I'm one series in the 3rd and did great in the 4th. Half time adjustments were nice on both sides of the ball.

18 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

its really hard to double kelce and hill.. without hardman going nuts on you.. its happened before. 

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

I bet we get another FA type wr and at discount. Someone will want to play with Mahomes and a shot at the SB.

4 hours ago, robgar said:

its really hard to double kelce and hill.. without hardman going nuts on you.. its happened before. 

I dont disagree. But in order for those guys to have single coverage we have to have the ability to run the ball effectively.

Mahomes is incredible but it's OK to have a game where the dude throws for 200 and we run the ball down a teams fuckin throat. Reid did that with Hunt. I want to see it again. 

With Watkins on the field it was pick your poison. No matter what defense we played somebody was gonna be open damn near every play. We just don't have that second threat on the outside now. Yet.

37 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont disagree. But in order for those guys to have single coverage we have to have the ability to run the ball effectively.

Mahomes is incredible but it's OK to have a game where the dude throws for 200 and we run the ball down a teams fuckin throat. Reid did that with Hunt. I want to see it again. 

With Watkins on the field it was pick your poison. No matter what defense we played somebody was gonna be open damn near every play. We just don't have that second threat on the outside now. Yet.

Do you think that CEH can be that RB to make teams pay when they lighten the box to stop the pass??

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well said. I miss hunt. That’s the type of bell cow we need. CEH is good but not on the level of Hunt. That is why they need to give McKinnon an opportunity to see what he can do.