Thoughts on the game

2 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Well said. I miss hunt. That’s the type of bell cow we need. CEH is good but not on the level of Hunt. That is why they need to give McKinnon an opportunity to see what he can do. 

He has had less than 200 nfl carries. McKinnon has been in the league awhile. Spelling CEH is one thing. But looking at him as the feature back because CEH "isn't the answer" is completely nuts. The dude has played in 14 NFL games. That's ridiculous even by Chiefs fan standards.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yes, if he learns to use his blocks instead of running head down into the predetermined pile. 

I have heard it said before that RB's and O-line need to have a meshing period as well..maybe with this revamped O-line this is one of those cases. I agree it did seem like a juke here or there to the outside and CEH woulda had better gains. 

16 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

He has had less than 200 nfl carries. McKinnon has been in the league awhile. Spelling CEH is one thing. But looking at him as the feature back because CEH "isn't the answer" is completely nuts. The dude has played in 14 NFL games. That's ridiculous even by Chiefs fan standards.

I’m not saying he takes over. But u have to give him snaps and see what he can do. 

16 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

100% Yes. He will carve defenses up. 

He did it last year in case anyone needs a reminder. Go back and watch games where we ran on teams that did this and you will see the proof. 100% correct is the right answer given by house here.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He did it last year in case anyone needs a reminder. Go back and watch games where we ran on teams that did this and you will see the proof. 100% correct is the right answer given by house here.

The problem is people here are still hung up on the fact we used a first rounder on him. No one thinks the dude flat sucks. They are mad because they don't believe they are getting the return on investment a first rounder should provide.

He hasn't even played a full nfl season. So we will see what people say after this year. My opinion is that he is gonna go off and shut all these naysayers up.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The problem is people here are still hung up on the fact we used a first rounder on him. No one thinks the dude flat sucks. They are mad because they don't believe they are getting the return on investment a first rounder should provide.

He hasn't even played a full nfl season. So we will see what people say after this year. My opinion is that he is gonna go off and shut all these naysayers up.

Doesn’t help that a third rounder in Kareem Hunt set the league on fire in Reid’s system right before he got here.   I think he will be fine but I don’t think he will ever live up to his draft slot.   His biggest plus is his pass catching and route running which we don’t utilize much at all.   He isn’t fast, big or very good at pass pro.  

We will see if he can turn a corner.   Missing gaping holes is a vision thing something that doesn’t change from college to the nfl. Generally you have good vision or not.   I’ll give him this year before I get too critical though.   

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I don’t think everyone is hung up on him being a 1 st rounder. It’s the fact he is not on the same level as hunt. That’s all. 
I agree with u in the fact he has only played 14 games so let’s see. 

10 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Doesn’t help that a third rounder in Kareem Hunt set the league on fire in Reid’s system right before he got here.   I think he will be fine but I don’t think he will ever live up to his draft slot.   His biggest plus is his pass catching and route running which we don’t utilize much at all.   He isn’t fast, big or very good at pass pro.  

We will see if he can turn a corner.   Missing gaping holes is a vision thing something that doesn’t change from college to the nfl. Generally you have good vision or not.   I’ll give him this year before I get too critical.

Did you not watch this kid in college? 

I'm still a little salty about the fact we look so pathetic against the run. I understand that Cleveland is a top tier team and running the ball is their bread and butter. But that TD run by Chubb? Did anyone even see a defender on that side of the field? For years we have been gashed. Anytime there is any kind of misdirection it seems like a huge play. Why can't we get better?

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

I'm still a little salty about the fact we look so pathetic against the run. I understand that Cleveland is a top tier team and running the ball is their bread and butter. But that TD run by Chubb? Did anyone even see a defender on that side of the field? For years we have been gashed. Anytime there is any kind of misdirection it seems like a huge play. Why can't we get better?

Chubb is a top tier RB and altho I dont have the game recorded to analyze  the play I will say this. First games are extra difficult to  prepare for IMO  because over the off season changes are made, scheme's are refined. One had to expect Chubb or Hunt were going to break at least one run and yes it sucked but I'm not yet willing to let it get to me..now if it were the last drive winning run for Cleveland after 2nd half adjustments were made that'd be a different story. Who was playing that side during the play?

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Did you not watch this kid in college? 

He was electric in college but he still wasn’t fast or big or great at pass pro.  I’m a huge Bama fan so yes I watched him in college.  Again I’m not going to be overly critical now but he missed quite a few big holes and while the Browns D is good the numbers game was in our favor to run and he avg a little over 3 per carry.   He need to step it up because he doesn’t look like the guy I watched in college.

51 minutes ago, dhitter said:

To be fair….perfect call with bad defenders on that side.   Kaindoh and Niemann on that side both took themselves out of the play.

25 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

To be fair….perfect call with bad defenders on that side.   Kaindoh and Niemann on that side both took themselves out of the play.

It's not a one game problem. Chiefs have been bottom tier run defense for years. I'm trying to understand why it doesn't seem to be a concern for them....at least not enough to not parade out stiffs like Ben Neiman to try and stop it 

15 minutes ago, dhitter said:

It's not a one game problem. Chiefs have been bottom tier run defense for years. I'm trying to understand why it doesn't seem to be a concern for them....at least not enough to not parade out stiffs like Ben Neiman to try and stop it 

Because they win despite their run defense.

1 minute ago, xen said:

And run defense not nearly as important to winning as pass defense.  Not even close.

Correct, but the Chiefs still need to figure out a way to get the D off the field.  If Clark comes back, that will help.  He can seal the end and obviously, Kaindoh isn't ready to.  Getting Gay back will help as well.  Until then, the Chiefs have to make do and put up big numbers on offense.  Glad the Titans game is later in the season.  

10 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

Because they win despite their run defense.

Mahomes is a cheat code no doubt. I just have trouble wrapping my mind around the fact the organization doesn't care if we suck at an important element of the game. Maybe not as important as pass defense (although C Ward looked like a total scrub on Sunday and Baker had a pretty good day passing overall) but still important. 

19 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Mahomes is a cheat code no doubt. I just have trouble wrapping my mind around the fact the organization doesn't care if we suck at an important element of the game. Maybe not as important as pass defense (although C Ward looked like a total scrub on Sunday and Baker had a pretty good day passing overall) but still important. 

Oh I agree 100% it drives me nuts to watch our defense. And Ward did not look good but it is the first game of the year and when I walked outside I did not step on the sky so I figured if its not falling I think we are ok for now. 

DHITTER,

Your pain is my pain bro! I don't understand why the organization doesn't build a defense capable of stopping the run either. When a team pounds the rock on you, that's sorta telling the defense you're punks and we're just going to punish you all game.

However, I think they (KC) do want to do better, hence drafting Bolton and Gay. We just need to get them both on the field. I think Gay and Bolton will be a very noticeable difference. I don't post much, but if you look at most of post, you would know that I REALLY HATE HITCHENS. 

This dude stands around and waits for the RB to come to him, before jumping on his back...EVERY FREAKING PLAY. He is not fast nor physical and plays like he doesn't want to get hurt. I swear that I've seen Hitchens actually run into Olinemen just to buy some time till the RB runs past him through the hole.

And we don't even need to talk about Nieman...

19 minutes ago, artsy said:

DHITTER,

Your pain is my pain bro! I don't understand why the organization doesn't build a defense capable of stopping the run either. When a team pounds the rock on you, that's sorta telling the defense you're punks and we're just going to punish you all game.

However, I think they (KC) do want to do better, hence drafting Bolton and Gay. We just need to get them both on the field. I think Gay and Bolton will be a very noticeable difference. I don't post much, but if you look at most of post, you would know that I REALLY HATE HITCHENS. 

This dude stands around and waits for the RB to come to him, before jumping on his back...EVERY FREAKING PLAY. He is not fast nor physical and plays like he doesn't want to get hurt. I swear that I've seen Hitchens actually run into Olinemen just to buy some time till the RB runs past him through the hole.

And we don't even need to talk about Nieman...

Im adjusting my expectations. Salary Cap will force KC to be offense first and fill in defense. I like the way the NFL creates real competition not based on unlimited spending. MLB has never come close. 

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Im adjusting my expectations. Salary Cap will force KC to be offense first and fill in defense. I like the way the NFL creates real competition not based on unlimited spending. MLB has never come close. 

Yea, I agree with you. I saw them building a stop the pass defense awhile back, around 2018. I believe they feel like they will be playing with a lead most of the time and of course the league is a pass first league anyways...

I just really hate the way our LBs play. They are the worst group I've seen in the NFL..

4 hours ago, xen said:

And run defense not nearly as important to winning as pass defense.  Not even close.

If pass defense was that important (to the coaching staff) they wouldn't put Ward out there. I really thought Baker looked pretty solid in preseason and was hoping he would get a shot. You could tell Cleveland was targeting Ward and it paid off for them. Try something else Spags!

It appeared to me that many of their bigger runs were outside. We are stout up the middle. Honestly, I think they took advantage of Jones’s aggression upfield too. You can probably live with that if your LB/S positions play effectively behind him. Hitchens started off well but faded. Bolton, however, stepped up in 2nd half and our defense was immediately better. I think the Gay/Bolton combo will improve our run D exponentially. Cleveland’s run game may actually be the best in the NFL right now. We’ll be better if we face them again. You could argue our three best run stopping players were out on Sunday.