Week 2 Discussion: KC hits the road.. And heads to baltimore

34 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:
BAL.png

NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens are "preparing" to be without LT Ronnie Stanley (ankle) in Week 2 against the Chiefs.

Veteran free agent pickup Ali Villanueva, who struggled immensely in Week 1, will slide to left tackle with backup Patrick Makari stepping in on the right side of the line; this after LG Tyre Phillips was moved to injured reserve mid-week. Baltimore already struggled to protect Lamar Jackson on Monday night, permitting the league's seventh-highest rate pressure rate while allotting three sacks on as many blitzes. With Chiefs DE Frank Clark practicing in full ahead of Week 2, the Ravens clearly need to make adjustments quickly or watch their season sink down the drain

I think the Ravens will be okay, with Stanley out. All they need is keep an eye on Jones...("all they need do") Who else can bring pressure on our Dline??

Just now, artsy said:

I think the Ravens will be okay, with Stanley out. All they need is keep an eye on Jones...("all they need do") Who else can bring pressure on our Dline??

Raiders had pressure on like 50% with just four rushing most of the time. I think KC front is much better than the Raiders and now Staley will be out. I see Jackson with his head down looking to do it all by himself. 

1. Ravens pass protection was abysmal

The Ravens’ offensive line could not protect Lamar Jackson tonight. Every time he went to drop back, he either had to step up immediately or scramble because there was a Raiders defender right in his face.

As a result, Jackson was sacked three times and fumbled twice including the costly one in overtime that sealed the game. Honestly, if it wasn’t for Jackson’s athletic ability, he would’ve been sacked at least 10 times.

According to Next Gen Stats, the Raiders pressured Lamar Jackson on 54.5 percent of his dropbacks. No offense will be successful when the quarterback is under that much pressure.

Alejandro Villanueva had a very poor game on Monday night. It seemed like every Raiders defender that lined up against him was eventually in the backfield. Maxx Crosby was the main culprit having five quarterback hits and two sacks.

Yannick Ngakoue also gave Ronnie Stanley fits. It was Stanley’s first game back since that horrible ankle injury from last season so he is still getting his feet wet. The Ravens better hope that he regains his Pro Bowl form soon.

14 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Raiders had pressure on like 50% with just four rushing most of the time. I think KC front is much better than the Raiders and now Staley will be out. I see Jackson with his head down looking to do it all by himself. 

Yea, stop the run (much better than we did against Clev) and take away the passing lanes in the middle of the field, so Lamar can't throw to his TEs. Game over, chiefs win.

2. Ravens pass rush was nonexistent

The Ravens’ pass rush was nonexistent against the young Las Vegas Raiders front. That is very alarming because they were already without one of their starters in Richie Incognito.

While Lamar Jackson was pressured on over 50 percent of his dropbacks, Derek Carr was only pressured on 20 percent of his throws.

That is a disastrous statistic for the Ravens because they were blitzing Carr all night while the Raiders mostly only sent a four-man front after Jackson.

With the injuries to their secondary this season, the Ravens needed the pass rush to make a huge statement tonight. Instead, the corners were constantly burnt by Darren Waller and co. because they were left on an island for too long.

Derek Carr was too comfortable in the pocket finding open receivers. Even with the Ravens playing Cover 0, they still couldn’t get enough pressure on Carr.

The pass rush has been a huge issue for the Ravens since Terrell Suggs left. Many felt that was the last piece needed to complete this defense. Now with Marcus Peters down, the team is more susceptible to big plays down the field in their man coverage schemes.

If they don’t find a way to win 1-on-1 matchups, their defense could take a huge dip in the rankings this season.

3 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

With the injuries to their secondary this season, the Ravens needed the pass rush to make a huge statement tonight. Instead, the corners were constantly burnt by Darren Waller and co. because they were left on an island for too long.

Derek Carr was too comfortable in the pocket finding open receivers. Even with the Ravens playing Cover 0, they still couldn’t get enough pressure on Carr.

The pass rush has been a huge issue for the Ravens since Terrell Suggs left. Many felt that was the last piece needed to complete this defense. Now with Marcus Peters down, the team is more susceptible to big plays down the field in their man coverage schemes.

If they don’t find a way to win 1-on-1 matchups, their defense could take a huge dip in the rankings this season.

🤣

Never take an opponent for granted. Chiefs almost got beat by the shitty Falcons last year. Ravens still have some talent. I bet the hometown crowd gives them a bit of a lift. Chiefs struggle against the run....the Ravens strength is the run. Might not be as cut and dry as we hope.

5 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Never take an opponent for granted. Chiefs almost got beat by the shitty Falcons last year. Ravens still have some talent. I bet the hometown crowd gives them a bit of a lift. Chiefs struggle against the run....the Ravens strength is the run. Might not be as cut and dry as we hope.

Plus we will be getting everyone best swing every week. Nothing to lose and who doesn't want to knock off the Champs. Don't see it being Baltimore though.  

48 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Agree.  The odds against BAL are less than against CLE.  Home field is the main difference, but the Ravens will be tough in spite of some injuries.  Chiefs should probably just use Bolton to spy on LJ8 and take their chances with the other weapons. . 

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  The odds against BAL are less than against CLE.  Home field is the main difference, but the Ravens will be tough in spite of some injuries.  Chiefs should probably just use Bolton to spy on LJ8 and take their chances with the other weapons. . 

It may not deserve the name as Ravens are supposed to be a tough team but I feel like this is really a trap game for the Chiefs. Everything seems to be going in our favor and Baltimore isn't getting any love, on paper they don't look to challenge us, they have critical injuries, etc. 

On 9/16/2021 at 9:10 AM, AFCWEST said:

Our front four? Na. Yannick (sp) is a beast. And max Crosby doesn’t get love cause he’s a raider. Pressure wise, unless frank Clark is right, I give the nod to Vegas.

45 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Our front four? Na. Yannick (sp) is a beast. And max Crosby doesn’t get love cause he’s a raider. Pressure wise, unless frank Clark is right, I give the nod to Vegas.

I'd take the Chiefs front over the Raiders at this point.  Jones is one of the elite.  Clark is overpaid, but plays the run well and is still a sack threat.  Wharton and Saunders made some plays Sunday and are very strong.  Nnadi is pretty much run defense and Danna hasn't shown much special.  Kaindoh isn't ready for the NFL.  The Chiefs can mix and match a potent rush, especially against the Ravens decimated line.  Clark or Jones against Villanueve?  Could get ugly for the Ravens.  If the Chiefs can contain LJ8 runs, they might hold the Raven to less than 25.  How do the Ravens hold the Chiefs under 30 with all their injuries?  It's puzzling why the spread opened at 3.5 and hasn't changed all week with the injury reports. 

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I'd take the Chiefs front over the Raiders at this point.  Jones is one of the elite.  Clark is overpaid, but plays the run well and is still a sack threat.  Wharton and Saunders made some plays Sunday and are very strong.  Nnadi is pretty much run defense and Danna hasn't shown much special.  Kaindoh isn't ready for the NFL.  The Chiefs can mix and match a potent rush, especially against the Ravens decimated line.  Clark or Jones against Villanueve?  Could get ugly for the Ravens.  If the Chiefs can contain LJ8 runs, they might hold the Raven to less than 25.  How do the Ravens hold the Chiefs under 30 with all their injuries?  It's puzzling why the spread opened at 3.5 and hasn't changed all week with the injury reports. 

Reed in the middle altho not sure if he even did anything noteworthy last week

7 hours ago, dhitter said:

Is there anyone in the sports world I dislike more than Skip Bayless? He trashes the Chiefs all the time. Picks the Ravens to win. He can't stand the amount of press and praise Mahomes takes away from his lovechild Tom Brady.

Yeah, I don't watch that show like I once did.

The strange thing is, Bayless was one of the few who said Mahomes might be pretty good, since he'd watched him at Texas Tech. Sharpe was critical of the Chiefs drafting him. 

I guess since he turned out much better than both thought, they don't know how to handle it. One goes overboard with praise, the other finds every little thing they dislike. 

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

I’m strictly talking the 4 down lineman and pressures. 

My long-winded two cents:

The Chiefs will poke and prod and feel around for what works or what doesn't while they trade scores back and forth. This will give the opponent the delusional idea that they might win, make us fans nervous, and be good for NFL TV ratings.  But in the third and fourth quarter, Mahomes wil be green lighted to break their hearts and backs and then will use the clock to run out the game after getting a two score lead.  The Chiefs will win by one score just to keep flying under the radar a bit and avoid making true enemies out of opposing head coaches and teams.  This typical pattern avoids creating teams that have obsessive burning desires or missions to beat us the next time we face them.  Reid's special tricks will remain in the bag unless absolutely needed, and I don't think they will be needed because of the Ravens' injuries.

This game is just another move in a larger chess match.  Local writers and national bookies make predictions based on a lot of things, but they rarely take into account the psychologic manipulations of great coaches like Reid who play the longer game with the super bowl in mind. The goal is not to break statistical records and make enemies. Merely win the game.