My Thoughts on the Game

You could add in the 3rd and goal Shotgun draw which never, ever works in Goaline situations. Reid, coached a hell of a game between the 20's today. Should have given Kniles a run from under center (which is how we scored the 1st 2 TD's.) I question his game, and clock management as well. 

Alex Smith played a hell of a game. Unfortunately, he's getting $45 guaranteed. You got 4 downs to make it in the endzone, we expect more from you on that 4th down. Again, Reid could have catered to him better by rolling him out. He gets too antsy and sometimes panics in the pocket when he has too much time. He needs to be out moving to create plays.

I HATE, HATE, HATTTEEEEEEE that freakin play!  That's the worst play in football in any situation, but especially at the goal line.  The RB has to start from a dead stop.   

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I HATE, HATE, HATTTEEEEEEE that freakin play!  That's the worst play in football in any situation, but especially at the goal line.  The RB has to start from a dead stop.   

Funny, because it worked for LeSean McCoy and the Eagles tonight. Of course, he's one of the best RB's and their offensive line is pretty darn solid. 

It WON'T work for Kniles and our O-line...

Funny, because it worked for LeSean McCoy and the Eagles tonight. Of course, he's one of the best RB's and their offensive line is pretty darn solid. 

It WON'T work for Kniles and our O-line...

Bingo.  Haley called it all of the time too and it only ever worked because Charlie, like McCoy, is special.

And BTW:  I love other forms of the draw play.  I think for it to work best there should be a FB in the backfield.

Here's my take... If  you want to run the ball up the middle from the 3-4 yard line, then you put in your TEs and you put in a FB and you run up the damn middle like a man. If you want to "try" to run up the middle like a pussy, then you call a shotgun draw.

Here's my take... If  you want to run the ball up the middle from the 3-4 yard line, then you put in your TEs and you put in a FB and you run up the damn middle like a man. If you want to "try" to run up the middle like a pussy, then you call a shotgun draw.

I agree. If you are on the 4 yard line with four downs to tie the game against the conference champion in their home stadium, you put in your tight ends and fullback. Give the goddam ball to Sherman and pound it in. Show them that you have confidence in their ability to push the other guys back and score. Sherman would have scored on two carries. I have no doubt. We had controlled the ball the entire half. Their guys were worn out and afraid. It nauseates me that we didn't do that. Marty would have done that without any question. They had all of camp to practice a play where Sherman runs right up the back of his blocker and falls forward for a couple of yards. There is a time to be fancy and a time to just exert your will on people.

I agree. If you are on the 4 yard line with four downs to tie the game against the conference champion in their home stadium, you put in your tight ends and fullback. Give the goddam ball to Sherman and pound it in. Show them that you have confidence in their ability to push the other guys back and score. Sherman would have scored on two carries. I have no doubt. We had controlled the ball the entire half. Their guys were worn out and afraid. It nauseates me that we didn't do that. Marty would have done that without any question. They had all of camp to practice a play where Sherman runs right up the back of his blocker and falls forward for a couple of yards. There is a time to be fancy and a time to just exert your will on people.

Sometimes you just have to will the damn ball in. I'm not quite sure Reid has that type of mentality though. That's why he's always been close to a SB, but never actually grasped the ring. We completely dominated the line of scrimmage in the 2nd half, not too mention the fatigue Denver's D was facing. I just don't get it. I guess Charles coming out of the game affected the game plan much. No excuses however, we could have put Indi away in the playoffs if we had just ran it more.

You see, you cannot be considered a "Bill Walsh-like offensive genius" if you resort to such "crude and barbaric" methods of advancing the football.  Better to get cute.  Then the world can marvel at how clever you are.  

Hope you are loving your "established, proven" coach.

You see, you cannot be considered a "Bill Walsh-like offensive genius" if you resort to such "crude and barbaric" methods of advancing the football.  Better to get cute.  Then the world can marvel at how clever you are.  

Hope you are loving your "established, proven" coach.

It's his weakness. The key word is "sometimes". A great coach needs to be fancy and clever and complicated but also needs to know when to just punch the opponent in the face. You need both. I love Reid, and there is no reason he cannot learn to use that when the time calls for it. Marty was stubborn and used that too much. He might have been ready and willing to smash that ball in if he had been the coach last Sunday, but he likely would never have gotten us down the field close enough to do that like Reid did. How many SB's did Marty win?

It's his weakness. The key word is "sometimes". A great coach needs to be fancy and clever and complicated but also needs to know when to just punch the opponent in the face. You need both. I love Reid, and there is no reason he cannot learn to use that when the time calls for it. Marty was stubborn and used that too much. He might have been ready and willing to smash that ball in if he had been the coach last Sunday, but he likely would never have gotten us down the field close enough to do that like Reid did. How many SB's did Marty win?

Unfortunately, so far, the same number as Reid...

Unfortunately, so far, the same number as Reid...

Yep. But don't make the mistake of projecting the past into an indefinite or permanent future. The only thing constant is change. Reid can change, just like you can and I can. I believe that frustration is normal and impermanent and that we will win that championship in the future. I'm hoping that healed injuries and our young depth and 14 draft picks next winter will get us there. It might be a year or it might be three. But we will get there.

Once we get there, the challenge will be to avoid the clinging mentality and trying to hold the old order together with chewing gum and string and free agents. The great teams constantly work toward building a championship. Lamar and his unmentionable GM did the former.

thing is walsh ran the ball...

every great team he had consisted of a fullback and stud running back.

So does Reid.  And like Walsh he wants to pass to set up the run.  Unlike Walsh he doesn't have Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, etc, etc.  

So does Reid.  And like Walsh he wants to pass to set up the run.  Unlike Walsh he doesn't have Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, etc, etc.

Different eras. How many times have I heard about today's game, "This is a passing league"? That is why all the great defenses now are based on pass pressure. You are comparing apples and oranges. At some point, it will change back again, but this is exactly in keeping with what you have been yammering about for months regarding Manning vs. Smith etc. and how every team has to have the great QB. If you are consistent, you will admit this is a pass first league right now. That is why drafting and developing the franchise QB is so important. It doesn't take a genius or a brainiac to hand the ball off to a Ferrari running behind a bunch of gorillas. Andy Reid is the quintessential modern coach. He just needs to have a few power plays and give it to the FB when he's in close, that's all. He's not a dumb man. He knows he has a young, inexperienced line and is missing his starting RB. Give him an effing break, man.

Different eras. How many times have I heard about today's game, "This is a passing league"? That is why all the great defenses now are based on pass pressure. You are comparing apples and oranges. At some point, it will change back again, but this is exactly in keeping with what you have been yammering about for months regarding Manning vs. Smith etc. and how every team has to have the great QB. If you are consistent, you will admit this is a pass first league right now. That is why drafting and developing the franchise QB is so important. It doesn't take a genius or a brainiac to hand the ball off to a Ferrari running behind a bunch of gorillas. Andy Reid is the quintessential modern coach. He just needs to have a few power plays and give it to the FB when he's in close, that's all. He's not a dumb man. He knows he has a young, inexperienced line and is missing his starting RB. Give him an effing break, man.

I've never said you have to have a great QB to win.  You can win with a good one, as long as there is a strong supporting cast.  The league is trying its damnest to cram a passing league down our throat.   But there is a time to pass and there is a time to run, and when its time to run there's a way to do it.

Reid does not know when or how to run the ball effectively and his track record is that he never has.  Reid is not dumb, but he believes in his finesse bullshit offense that hasn't produced a Super Bowl and likely never will.  He is a has-been.

Nobody said it takes a genius to run the ball.  That's the entire point.  The pundits don't heap platitudes on a coach with such a "simple" strategy.  

"Simplicity is the key to brilliance." — Bruce Lee

How are we gonna get 14 draft picks? The limit on compensatory selections is set at a maximum of four, which would net us 11. Did we make some trades I don't know about?

That's a great question. I have been quoting that number from an article in either the KC or national sports press. I don't specificallly recall trades to add three more, and maybe that article was a mistake. But maybe we did. I just can't answer that except to say that it was not my number. It was from a publication.

That's a great question. I have been quoting that number from an article in either the KC or national sports press. I don't specificallly recall trades to add three more, and maybe that article was a mistake. But maybe we did. I just can't answer that except to say that it was not my number. It was from a publication.

The answer, that I've found, is that KC has not made any draft pick trades regarding 2015 selections. See here: http://www.prosportstransactions.com/football/DraftTrades/Years/2015.htm

That site is always accurate. Whatever publication you got that from is flat wrong haha. :)

Archived