Defensive identity

I think our D has fallen prey to the Mahomes effect.   What Frank and HB was brought here to change has worn off.  I think HB is still fierce and the players respect him because his play backs it up but Clark is done.  His attitude isn’t contagious because he no longer is a good player.  

Run D is a mentality.   It’s hard nosed and tough D.   We are soft.   We’ve grown fat and complacent on teams being forced into being one dimensional and playing from behind because of Mahomes.  I think this includes our coaching staff.   Errors don’t matter,  lackluster effort doesn’t matter, poor game planning doesn’t matter because Mahomes will keep us in the game.   He is that good of a player.   

This team will never be a dynasty though without an identity-less defense.

Love Chris Jones but the dude is  talented and soft and when it comes to stopping the run he’s not interested in growing his fame because it isn’t flashy.   

Coaching staff runs out players that are cerebral but are tough or good enough to put that knowledge into practical application to overcompensate for their physical limitations.   They coach like their job is eternally secure….because Mahomes.  They start guys for years on end that suck and when cheap players are available to upgrade they use the excuse that said player knows the system.   Well, that system doesn’t work and really hasn’t worked in years.   Sure we can point to a hand full of games in 3 years that the D won the game but people incorrectly assume the money is tied up on the offensive side of the ball so the D is the red headed step child when in fact we spend (more like waste) just as much on D (don’t believe me check out overthecap.com).

As much as Veach churns this roster it’s evident Spags doesn’t want upgrades.  He’s content and that is a huge problem.  

Some on here want to point to the O and point fingers.  That O scored 28 points and that should be plenty vs injury riddled team.   Sure the O could be better but we are in the territory of expecting them to score on every possession and somehow thinking with the same money spent that  that improvement is in the same stratosphere of the improvements needed on D that allowed a one dimensional qb with street rbs and backup olineman to hang 36 on us.

Willie Gay has some fire and Bolton does too along with HB.  I also think Sneed is tough but the rest of this D is soft as wet tissue paper.  

Maybe this butt whipping is just what this team needs to break out of their Mahomes coma.   Dude is otherworldly but we are winning spite of the D not in conjunction with them and it’s been like this for years.   Time to coach like your job depended on it, time to play like your snaps depend on it and time to put other guys who are hungry in for guys who have sucked for years yet still get free snaps.

Otherwise we are gonna be Green Bay 2.0 and look back in 20 years and realize we squandered away the greatest qb of all time and only have a fraction of the ships we should have won.    Wake the flip up!!!

Just now, Calichief said:

I think the ints and gambles are still gonna happen. 
last night was just a piece.

Mahomes knows again he has to score or else

so he forces it

he had some other really bad throws 

He played a great game.  Even the int was only because the defender killed his momentum and he couldn’t follow through or that’s a catch.   And even though we hold him to this ridiculous standard he marches us down with ease (we are spoiled at how easily and frequently he does it) and would have easily won had we not called a run play.  Something that should have been by far the safer call unless you are the KC Chiefs.

You are right though.  If the D doesn’t get better then we could see a historic season from Mahomes.

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

He played a great game.  Even the int was only because the defender killed his momentum and he couldn’t follow through or that’s a catch.   And even though we hold him to this ridiculous standard he marches us down with ease (we are spoiled at how easily and frequently he does it) and would have easily won had we not called a run play.  Something that should have been by far the safer call unless you are the KC Chiefs.

You are right though.  If the D doesn’t get better then we could see a historic season from Mahomes.

I didn’t say he didn’t. Point is, subconsciously, he knows he has to score every time so some of those throws are gonna happen. And there will be more.

Just now, Calichief said:

I didn’t say he didn’t. Point is, subconsciously, he knows he has to score every time so some of those throws are gonna happen. And there will be more.

Sorry, I knew you didn’t, was a generalization about some (on a few podcasts this morning etc) .   

He absolutely will force more but I think this Oline will help even in that area.   I also think if we are aggressive we can just a out score at will if we avoid dumb play calls and negative first down runs.

8 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Who?

More like,  Where???

I never got behind the whole move CJ to DE, parade. Everyone in the media was estimating close to 18 sacks from him? Why? Hes not a DE. Hes a very talented DT, that sometimes ignores playing the run but likes to get the sacks. 

Which is the main reason he'll never be ranked higher than Aaron Donald.  Donald plays the run with as much passion as he rushes the qb.

But I guess the chiefs felt that moving CJ to DE, and signing Reed would be enough for a decent pass rush. 

There's a reason Seattle cut him...they don't have a good pass rush either. 

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

Sorry, I knew you didn’t, was a generalization about some (on a few podcasts this morning etc) .   

He absolutely will force more but I think this Oline will help even in that area.   I also think if we are aggressive we can just a out score at will if we avoid dumb play calls and negative first down runs.

Yea; we can all agree the offense isn’t the problem. But we can also all agree, we are not the same as the Kareem hunt offense. Teams have no respect for the run. So the two deep shit will continue.

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

Yea; we can all agree the offense isn’t the problem. But we can also all agree, we are not the same as the Kareem hunt offense. Teams have no respect for the run. So the two deep shit will continue.

As it should...until we make teams pay for the lite boxes, they're gonna keep doing it.

But, I do think our oline will get better as the season goes.  I think they're gonna be really good actually.  

I just don't know if CEH is the answer for the running game.

8 minutes ago, artsy said:

More like,  Where???

I never got behind the whole move CJ to DE, parade. Everyone in the media was estimating close to 18 sacks from him? Why? Hes not a DE. Hes a very talented DT, that sometimes ignores playing the run but likes to get the sacks. 

Which is the main reason he'll never be ranked higher than Aaron Donald.  Donald plays the run with as much passion as he rushes the qb.

But I guess the chiefs felt that moving CJ to DE, and signing Reed would be enough for a decent pass rush. 

There's a reason Seattle cut him...they don't have a good pass rush either. 

He wasn't cut, he was a free agent, and they offered him more than we did.  He chose to sign with us.  Not sure why any of what i just said matters, but I said it anyways.

2 minutes ago, Chiefsbro said:

Defense is decent, not top 10, but not Swiss cheese either.   Plenty of games left to correct and improve, give me a break with the sky is falling in week two......

Defense is complete swiss cheese. The identity is clear. Its one of the weakest defenses in the NFL. 

Harris or DoD need to start taking reps from Neimann

Watts needs to take reps from Sorensen as safety 3. 

Thornhill needs to be the starting safety. 

Okafor needs to be released. Bring in a young hungry guy that specializes in pass rush. Look on practice squad from other teams

Gay needs to replace Hitchens when he comes back. 

Baker and Hughes need to replace a ward. 

shake ups need to happen. We have too many comfortable players who think they are untouchable

8 minutes ago, Chiefsbro said:

Defense is decent, not top 10, but not Swiss cheese either.   Plenty of games left to correct and improve, give me a break with the sky is falling in week two......

The run defense is trash. Did you watch the SB? How bout the Cleveland game? And of course last night was a shit show...the sky is falling. 

Can they get it together? Perhaps. 

I don't know if it's dumb players or the scheme but last week we had the DE crash inside with no outside contain support while Chubb walked in untouched while carrying a tray of margaritas. Then last night we have 2 DBs covering a man on a 5 yard stop pattern while there was a guy standing by himself 40 years downfield sipping tea while waiting for a wounded duck to land.

Chiefs defense should play the red rover red rover send anybody over , defense scheme

This defense is on Veach. Poor drafts and one good free agent signing. Trading away picks like they are jelly beans. Then sign that player to a mega contract. This defense is on Veach. Not much talent and a bunch of other guys trash. " One mans trash is another mans potpourri". 

Me: Frank Clark has the Answers. The millionaire gangster speaks.

AP Article

Clark said that he and his defensive teammates had to take responsibility for their own errors in the game.

“In the future, we’ve just got to limit the mistakes — the missed tackles. Of course, when you miss over 10 tackles in a game, that’s cause for devastation for a defense. You’ve got to make the tackles — especially when you’re going against a strong offense like the Ravens.”

The seventh-year veteran said that NFL defensive players only have limited chances to work specifically on their tackling.

“Well, when you’ve got that one day when you can tackle — and it is [in] pads — the emphasis is on striking,” he noted. “The emphasis is on tackling. So that’s when you’ve got to pop those pads a little bit more.”

But Clark said that players don’t always make full use of those opportunities.

“You can’t go into practice running by plays — the plays where you can get a little more aggressive — you can’t ‘tag off’ on guys and stuff like that,” he explained. “Sometimes you get lax when you do that; you’re coming off games where it was a hard game — a lot of hitting and stuff — so guys are sore. It’s just putting the emphasis on that in practice when we do have those pads on [for] that day of the week.

“It’s just taking full advantage: going out there and competing and having fun with it — but also understanding that this is going to transfer over to the game in the future.”