Defensive identity

9 minutes ago, Calichief said:

You know what, I’m gonna step back from the ledge for just a moment. 

if you actually look around the league, defense is dog shit.

tampa has given up all kinds of points.

there are like 3 decent defenses in the league.

everything is geared towards offense. Look at this game already tonight. 

no excuse for allowing what the chiefs are doing though. 1000 yards allowed in 2 games lmao 

Exactly. No ledge. Just reality. Chiefs offense can out score anyone. Just need one or two stops per game. I accept the defense will not be good. It feels better just admitting it. Mahomes probably sees the same thing. Reid can see it to. Good thing the oline is capable of protecting Mahomes and has some decent depth. Its 2018 all over again. Let the shootouts begin.

9 hours ago, Calichief said:

tampa has given up all kinds of points.

there are like 3 decent defenses in the league.

everything is geared towards offense. Look at this game already tonight. 

no excuse for allowing what the chiefs are doing though. 1000 yards allowed in 2 games lmao 

Defenses are behind right now for sure. Usually it was the offenses being behind, but that seems to have changed and I am not sure

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Defenses are behind right now for sure. Usually it was the offenses being behind, but that seems to have changed and I am not sure

there is just no physicality allowed. Defenses can't do anything without a flag flying. 

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

there is just no physicality allowed. Defenses can't do anything without a flag flying. 

especially with all of the new QB's, every team is looking for that Mahomes Magic so the NFL is gonna protect the future of the league which is (Mahomes, Herbert,  Wilson, Jones, Mayfield, Fields)

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

I think its about helping all the players avoid injuries,  not just the QB. These guys all deserve longer careers in a sport that now has massive athletes hitting each other. Faster, Bigger, Stronger.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:26 PM, Calichief said:

Good point. But in the grand scheme of dog shit.....why does the Chiefs D have to be the equivalent of diarrhea?

I read a article years back from a NFL executive that spoke about how to build a defense. He mentioned u need a stud at each level. Then you fill in. 
so who do we have that is considered a current stud at each level? 
chris Jones, honey badger? That’s it? 
I’m going to watch the panthers D this weekend. Top D right now in a lot of catoegories. It’s early but interesting. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I like to think of our defensive identity as that of a French border patrol and our offense is the Americans coming in and kicking some kraut ass.  

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

I like to think of our defensive identity as that of a French border patrol and our offense is the Americans coming in and kicking some kraut ass.  

I was going to respond to this but I will keep politics out.

I do agree with the thought brought up about the "Mahomes effect" being a thing. The offense has elite playmakers in Kelce and Hill with lesser but decent supporting cast.....and an elite trigger man to run it.

Perhaps the defense doesn't ever feel desperate to get stops because they know 15 and the offense will bail them out. Shitty proposition but it has merit.

After what happened in the last Super Bowl, Veach had one overwhelming crucial project - replace and fix the O-line to protect Mahomes.  He did an amazing job of that, and that line will gel by mid season and be great for years.  But no manager can do that without putting the other side of the ball on the back burner a little bit.  I think he did a great job with drafting Bolton, and Gay  and Sneed before that, and has found gems in Wharton, Danna and others, but no one should expect a really good D after the project absolutely required for the  O-line this last offseason.  It was an emergency, and his job already shows.  I see Sneed, Thornhill, the young LB's and the front line supplemented by another draft and a couple of FA pickups and a new contract for the HB, and we have the makings of a great D.  There is WAAAAY too much concern about the long term D and comparisons like the Packers with Rodgers.  It is painful to watch them right now against Cleveland and then LJ, but we should not let that pain distort our common sense. Take a deep breath and enjoy the show.  I am still predicting 14-3.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

After what happened in the last Super Bowl, Veach had one overwhelming crucial project - replace and fix the O-line to protect Mahomes.  He did an amazing job of that, and that line will gel by mid season and be great for years.  But no manager can do that without putting the other side of the ball on the back burner a little bit.  I think he did a great job with drafting Bolton, and Gay  and Sneed before that, and has found gems in Wharton, Danna and others, but no one should expect a really good D after the project absolutely required for the  O-line this last offseason.  It was an emergency, and his job already shows.  I see Sneed, Thornhill, the young LB's and the front line supplemented by another draft and a couple of FA pickups and a new contract for the HB, and we have the makings of a great D.  There is WAAAAY too much concern about the long term D and comparisons like the Packers with Rodgers.  It is painful to watch them right now against Cleveland and then LJ, but we should not let that pain distort our common sense. Take a deep breath and enjoy the show.  I am still predicting 14-3.

Its unfortunate that Veach has not drafted well for defense. Yes a couple good guys but way more misses. Yes a couple of finds but those are average at best players. His free agent signings other than HB have been mostly just ok. Trading away high picks is taking a toll. 

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Its unfortunate that Veach has not drafted well for defense. Yes a couple good guys but way more misses. Yes a couple of finds but those are average at best players. His free agent signings other than HB have been mostly just ok. Trading away high picks is taking a toll. 

I agree altho I understand the temptation of trading a 30 sumthing pick away for a vet if you dont see good value on the board and want to strike while you believe it's go time. I think maybe Veach needs to settle down and take whats available in the first couple of rounds. Even perennial  Playoff teams seem to need a so so year here and there to  re arm  using  high teen lower 20 draft picks . Those years suck no doubt and at my age dont  want to have to endure a year of MEH  but it maybe a necessary evil

3 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I don't know what the answer is but I do know that our defense against the run was about as useful as wearing a mask to prevent covid ( or apparently the vaccine also). I do not know if its system or players or both but my GOD that was very bad.

@arthur75lets try to keep this on subject without throwing in pandemic opinions