Defensive identity

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

After what happened in the last Super Bowl, Veach had one overwhelming crucial project - replace and fix the O-line to protect Mahomes.  He did an amazing job of that, and that line will gel by mid season and be great for years.  But no manager can do that without putting the other side of the ball on the back burner a little bit.  I think he did a great job with drafting Bolton, and Gay  and Sneed before that, and has found gems in Wharton, Danna and others, but no one should expect a really good D after the project absolutely required for the  O-line this last offseason.  It was an emergency, and his job already shows.  I see Sneed, Thornhill, the young LB's and the front line supplemented by another draft and a couple of FA pickups and a new contract for the HB, and we have the makings of a great D.  There is WAAAAY too much concern about the long term D and comparisons like the Packers with Rodgers.  It is painful to watch them right now against Cleveland and then LJ, but we should not let that pain distort our common sense. Take a deep breath and enjoy the show.  I am still predicting 14-3.

I've had my rant and sky is falling moment to return to reality and this post is just that.   It is super frustrating watching a game like that and how poorly one side of the ball played.   

When you have unique running team that runs plays differently that almost everyone in the NFL you are going to have games were the defense is unprepared.   I've watched Bama play teams that run the Wing T and option and as good as they were they struggled against an inferior team because the concepts aren't what they normally prepare for.    This game will give the team great film to study and we will probably not see a team with a qb that can do those things until we see Balt again.     

I do think we can get this figured out but we are probably a year away from being good.  My biggest concern is the pass rush or lack thereof.   Clark is solid at best and opposite him Jones is very one dimensional.   I do think we miss his collapsing the pocket and with teams with short/quick throwing game plans that is about the only way to get instant pressure.   Time will tell but our O is only going to get better as the Oline gels so even if this is 2018 we are in a better situation.

The defense is not devoid of talent. Chris Jones? Ty Mathieu? All Pros! I have heard very positive reviews of Sneed, Thornhill, Wharton, Reed, Hughes....even Clark specifically in run support. Nnadi is supposed to be a BFF run stuffer. Bolton shows promise as a rookie. I wasn't expecting a Top Ten defense....but my god do not look like a freakin' train wreck. Can't shed blocks. Can't tackle. Can't cover. Can't get to the QB. What else is left for a defense to do? They supposedly focused on red zone defense in the off season. So far % wise they are worse than last year when they were dead last in red zone stops. All off season working on it and this is the results? Stands to reason they will get incrementally better as the season goes but I am not optimistic we will see substantial improvement. That is the frustration! Talent is there but way under performing. 

14 minutes ago, dhitter said:

The defense is not devoid of talent. Chris Jones? Ty Mathieu? All Pros! I have heard very positive reviews of Sneed, Thornhill, Wharton, Reed, Hughes....even Clark specifically in run support. Nnadi is supposed to be a BFF run stuffer. Bolton shows promise as a rookie. I wasn't expecting a Top Ten defense....but my god do not look like a freakin' train wreck. Can't shed blocks. Can't tackle. Can't cover. Can't get to the QB. What else is left for a defense to do? They supposedly focused on red zone defense in the off season. So far % wise they are worse than last year when they were dead last in red zone stops. All off season working on it and this is the results? Stands to reason they will get incrementally better as the season goes but I am not optimistic we will see substantial improvement.

I have not seen anything good from Nnadi at any time in his career. If he is so good why has KC sucked against the run season after season? Reed was suppose to be a steel at about 5 million for one year. So far he also is not good. Clark is all talk. The back ups also not great or they would start ahead of the pathetic starters. Bottom line is the Chiefs d-line a toilet. Bad draft picks and free agent signings. Cant just blame the linebackers ,although that is another example of lousy free agent signings. Yes there are a couple of picks that MAY be good, Bolton & Gay have potential. Its still potential. Im over the lets pick up someone elses poor high draft pick cause KC can coach them up. I guess not so much.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I've had my rant and sky is falling moment to return to reality and this post is just that.   It is super frustrating watching a game like that and how poorly one side of the ball played.   

When you have unique running team that runs plays differently that almost everyone in the NFL you are going to have games were the defense is unprepared.   I've watched Bama play teams that run the Wing T and option and as good as they were they struggled against an inferior team because the concepts aren't what they normally prepare for.    This game will give the team great film to study and we will probably not see a team with a qb that can do those things until we see Balt again.     

I do think we can get this figured out but we are probably a year away from being good.  My biggest concern is the pass rush or lack thereof.   Clark is solid at best and opposite him Jones is very one dimensional.   I do think we miss his collapsing the pocket and with teams with short/quick throwing game plans that is about the only way to get instant pressure.   Time will tell but our O is only going to get better as the Oline gels so even if this is 2018 we are in a better situation.

Plus, I read this morning that the  Chiefs are the youngest team in the entire league.  i knew they were young, but not the youngest.  That bodes for a bright future with Mahomes at QB in his prime.  We will get  couple more Lombardi's at least before this golden era is said and done.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Plus, I read this morning that the  Chiefs are the youngest team in the entire league.  i knew they were young, but not the youngest.  That bodes for a bright future with Mahomes at QB in his prime.  We will get  couple more Lombardi's at least before this golden era is said and done.

It a bit of a false stat. May be one month or 6 months younger. Team in 32 position is not much older if you actually look at the numbers.

57 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I have not seen anything good from Nnadi at any time in his career. If he is so good why has KC sucked against the run season after season? Reed was suppose to be a steel at about 5 million for one year. So far he also is not good. Clark is all talk. The back ups also not great or they would start ahead of the pathetic starters. Bottom line is the Chiefs d-line a toilet. Bad draft picks and free agent signings. Cant just blame the linebackers ,although that is another example of lousy free agent signings. Yes there are a couple of picks that MAY be good, Bolton & Gay have potential. Its still potential. Im over the lets pick up someone elses poor high draft pick cause KC can coach them up. I guess not so much.

Gay and Bolton can't play well if the DTs allow lineman to climb up on them constantly tho. That expensive ass Dline needs to do better!

Reed, Clark and Jones must play better. If Nnadi is not healthy, then he needs to stay off the field till he is. Saunders, Reed and Wharton cannot allow themselves to be constantly taken out of plays by one blocker consistently. 

1 minute ago, artsy said:

Gay and Bolton can't play well if the DTs allow lineman to climb up on them constantly tho. That expensive ass Dline needs to do better!

Reed, Clark and Jones must play better. If Nnadi is not healthy, then he needs to stay off the field till he is. Saunders, Reed and Wharton cannot allow themselves to be constantly taken out of plays by one blocker consistently. 

I have no faith in any of the d-line guys except Jones. The other guys have proven they are not good. Dont want to hear need time to adjust to new systems etc. That BS. These guys have been playing from age 6. 

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

All I know for certain is that the sky is falling.   The fact that we lost a game proves it..  We suck. End of story. I am officially burning all of my Ben Niemann and Dan Sorenson T-shirts. I don't care how cold it gets this winter.

Damn it. You stole my post. No way to come back from 1-1. We should give up like Tampa did last year.

11 hours ago, dhitter said:

The defense is not devoid of talent. Chris Jones? Ty Mathieu? All Pros! I have heard very positive reviews of Sneed, Thornhill, Wharton, Reed, Hughes....even Clark specifically in run support. Nnadi is supposed to be a BFF run stuffer. Bolton shows promise as a rookie. I wasn't expecting a Top Ten defense....but my god do not look like a freakin' train wreck. Can't shed blocks. Can't tackle. Can't cover. Can't get to the QB. What else is left for a defense to do? They supposedly focused on red zone defense in the off season. So far % wise they are worse than last year when they were dead last in red zone stops. All off season working on it and this is the results? Stands to reason they will get incrementally better as the season goes but I am not optimistic we will see substantial improvement. That is the frustration! Talent is there but way under performing. 

You’d think going against our offense they’d be battle tested.

I know the Dline didn't look their best but from what I saw, the linebackers are so tentative they are sitting back and allowing the OL to engage at the 2nd level because the LB's are so indecisive they are just sitting back there and waiting for the runningback to come through the hole.     Bolton had  few holes were he hit the hole hard and made a play but Hitchens and Niemann might be the worst I've ever seen.  So it has me wondering.   Is that by design?  Is Spags teaching a passive "bend don't break" scheme?   

I actually feel like we have a great defensive coaching staff.  Daly is highly regarded around the league and turned some avg players into studs in that scheme in NE.   House was suppose to be this elite LB coach that we had to pry away from Kentucky.   The secondary coaches have been making magic for a couple years so they aren't in this convo.  Then Spags.   This staff, outside of the secondary coaches who have been given the least amount of talent/money, have produced the least amount of results.   LB's haven't developed or gotten better in years.  Dline, outside of CJ, has been blah with the exception of Wharton who is a great story more than a great talent.   

I understand that Balt forced us to be in base more than we like but after 3 years how can a replacement not be found for Ben Niemann and even Hitchens.   If the secondary can take 4th rounders and discarded vets and patch together a functionally secondary how can Spags not find those guys replacements.  Neither does anything well imo.

With all that said, I do think this D has a chance to improve to middle of the pack which is all we need.   What concerns me more than even the LB's is our ability to pass rush.   Preseason gave us a false sense of security regarding their ability to get to the qb.   IF CJ doesn't get pressure we don't get pressure unless we blitz.  

52 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I know the Dline didn't look their best but from what I saw, the linebackers are so tentative they are sitting back and allowing the OL to engage at the 2nd level because the LB's are so indecisive they are just sitting back there and waiting for the runningback to come through the hole.     Bolton had  few holes were he hit the hole hard and made a play but Hitchens and Niemann might be the worst I've ever seen.  So it has me wondering.   Is that by design?  Is Spags teaching a passive "bend don't break" scheme?   

I actually feel like we have a great defensive coaching staff.  Daly is highly regarded around the league and turned some avg players into studs in that scheme in NE.   House was suppose to be this elite LB coach that we had to pry away from Kentucky.   The secondary coaches have been making magic for a couple years so they aren't in this convo.  Then Spags.   This staff, outside of the secondary coaches who have been given the least amount of talent/money, have produced the least amount of results.   LB's haven't developed or gotten better in years.  Dline, outside of CJ, has been blah with the exception of Wharton who is a great story more than a great talent.   

I understand that Balt forced us to be in base more than we like but after 3 years how can a replacement not be found for Ben Niemann and even Hitchens.   If the secondary can take 4th rounders and discarded vets and patch together a functionally secondary how can Spags not find those guys replacements.  Neither does anything well imo.

With all that said, I do think this D has a chance to improve to middle of the pack which is all we need.   What concerns me more than even the LB's is our ability to pass rush.   Preseason gave us a false sense of security regarding their ability to get to the qb.   IF CJ doesn't get pressure we don't get pressure unless we blitz.  

I don’t think they have wanted to replace Neimann or Hitchens. Unfortunately. 

and it sucks that our second best pass rusher in the preseason we released (tim ward) 

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

I don’t think they have wanted to replace Neimann or Hitchens. Unfortunately. 

and it sucks that our second best pass rusher in the preseason we released (tim ward) 

No way to know if Ward was the second best rusher. Totally unproven player. Yet second best rusher may be awful on this team. I dont see KC rushing the passer this year. This will look like the Raiders defgense.

Its all on the Offense