Defensive identity

5 hours ago, xen said:

Sure its concerning.  But let's look at the big picture:

Defenses usually are behind early in the season

This was against 2 of the best 3 rushing teams and we have typically not been great against the run early in the season.  A lot of defenses end up this way early.  Early season tackling has sucked leaguewide since they instituted the new practice rules in the prior cba.

We've literally been to the AFCCG with no defense, worse defenders and a much worse DC and position coaches.

We've seen Spags turn a D around before mid season, in 2019.   Seem to remember we did ok that year.

Contrary to popular opinion around here we have talent at all levels of this defense.  They just need to get it together.  Chris Jones did not do well this game.  He'll get better.

Some people on this board seem to panic after every loss (not talking bout you) and start spewing verbal diarrhea like children.  The players suck and have no talent, the coaches forgot how to coach, we can't gameplan blah blah blah.  Meh.  Some of y'all need to calm your tits and maybe go spark one up.  

All good points. 

7 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Yea. That’s fair

Like you though I agree we can do much better for the money and he should be gone this next offseason.  He's a good player getting paid great player money. Veach is gonna have to Sorcerer up 2 defensive ends this offseason most likely.   In the meantime I will continue to root for him and acknowledge what he does well.

I'll say it again. The new Chiefs era will be marked by Mahomes and several  expensive playmakers who will need to be paid big time, while relying on first contract guys and some aging good FA's  coached by oustanding coaches. This is like the early and later Patriot era. We are a passing team and must protect our golden jewel. Veach spent the offseason doing just that. The D needs to be mediocre and will be before long. One or two more stops per game. It is time to stop ragging on Veach. He did what he had to snd did it well. Offenses are always ahead of defenses early in the season. You know what time it is? Time to chill and and show a tad of confidence. Maybe follow Mahomes' attitude.

7 hours ago, xen said:

Like you though I agree we can do much better for the money and he should be gone this next offseason.  He's a good player getting paid great player money. Veach is gonna have to Sorcerer up 2 defensive ends this offseason most likely.   In the meantime I will continue to root for him and acknowledge what he does well.

I still feel like signing Olivier Vernon at the right time could possibly help this team this yr and maybe longer if he's willing to go team friendly...

The bottom line...AP

After Kansas City’s Week 2 loss to the Ravens, I pointed out that since Mahomes became the team’s starting quarterback, the team stands 21-2 in all games where opponents have gained at least five yards per rushing attempt. Before the team was defeated in Baltimore, the only other such game was the 35-32 regular-season road loss to the Tennessee Titans in 2019.

So the idea that the team’s poor run defense is a problem that will somehow prevent the team from a winning season is demonstrably false; running the ball “down the Chiefs’ throat” is not a “blueprint to defeat them.” Since Mahomes arrived, multiple teams have tried to beat Kansas City in exactly that way — and they have consistently failed. Mahomes (along with a competent pass defense) is the ace that will beat any face card that a strong rushing attack will provide.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/9/25/22691781/take-a-deep-breath-theres-no-reason-to-panic-about-the-kansas-city-chiefs-defense

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

The bottom line...AP

After Kansas City’s Week 2 loss to the Ravens, I pointed out that since Mahomes became the team’s starting quarterback, the team stands 21-2 in all games where opponents have gained at least five yards per rushing attempt. Before the team was defeated in Baltimore, the only other such game was the 35-32 regular-season road loss to the Tennessee Titans in 2019.

So the idea that the team’s poor run defense is a problem that will somehow prevent the team from a winning season is demonstrably false; running the ball “down the Chiefs’ throat” is not a “blueprint to defeat them.” Since Mahomes arrived, multiple teams have tried to beat Kansas City in exactly that way — and they have consistently failed. Mahomes (along with a competent pass defense) is the ace that will beat any face card that a strong rushing attack will provide.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/9/25/22691781/take-a-deep-breath-theres-no-reason-to-panic-about-the-kansas-city-chiefs-defense

Good points. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is atrocious. There is like 3 or 4 WR open on this play. 
Sorensen suppose to cover the deep half decided to jump a short curl. Luckily Hurts is an average QB and didn’t recognize this or out was aTD. But hell he had a great camp. 

On 9/26/2021 at 10:22 AM, qnet said:

Good points. 

Teams simply want to play "keep away" from Mahomes and hope to win with extended run-based drives and an occasional pass on an RPO after our D gets worn out.  It's not a bad strategy for any team that doesn't believe they are good enough to beat the Chiefs any other way. It does give them a chance. The problem is that it usually doesn't work for them unless we make more than one turnover.  So, they practice all week at punching the ball out of our hands.

5 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Teams simply want to play "keep away" from Mahomes and hope to win with extended run-based drives and an occasional pass on an RPO after our D gets worn out.  It's not a bad strategy for any team that doesn't believe they are good enough to beat the Chiefs any other way. It does give them a chance. The problem is that it usually doesn't work for them unless we make more than one turnover.  So, they practice all week at punching the ball out of our hands. They also play the speed-up, quick snap game to take advantage of our young defensive backs. Its obvious from watching these early games, though opponents also did that last season, which is why there were so many close games.

They also go for it on fourth down, no matter where it is on the field.  They know that it is near impossible to stop a decent running team from getting 10 yards on four attempts.

3 hours ago, Palangi said:

This is atrocious. There is like 3 or 4 WR open on this play. 
Sorensen passing the deep half decided to jump a short curl. Luckily Hurts is an average QB and didn’t recognize this or out was aTD. But hell he has a great camp. 

No Way Reaction GIF by Captain Obvious

Promoting wide receiver Josh Gordon to the active roster was not the only move of note for the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday. According to the league's official transaction report, the Chiefs also designated second-year linebacker Willie Gay Jr. to return from injured reserve.

The Chiefs placed Gay, 23, on injured reserve after he suffered a turf toe injury during the team's final preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings. He has missed the first four regular-season games of the year.

Gay was first eligible to return from the reserve list last week. Though he was spotted on the field without a helmet last week on Wednesday and Thursday during the portion of Chiefs practice open to media, the team opted to hold him back from a return against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Head coach Andy Reid was asked about Gay's potential activation on Monday.

"Theres' a chance," said Reid. "He was kind of getting there last week. We'll see on this, see where he's at as we go forward here. But I think he's starting to feel a little bit better, for sure."

Now that Gay is designated for his return, he can fully return to practice, and the Chiefs have 21 days to see how he responds and activate him to the 53-man roster.

In other moves on Tuesday, the Chiefs placed rookie defensive end Joshua Kaindoh on injured reserve and placed practice squad protections on quarterback Shane Buechele and defensive end Demone Harris.

32 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Promoting wide receiver Josh Gordon to the active roster was not the only move of note for the Kansas City Chiefs on Tuesday. According to the league's official transaction report, the Chiefs also designated second-year linebacker Willie Gay Jr. to return from injured reserve.

The Chiefs placed Gay, 23, on injured reserve after he suffered a turf toe injury during the team's final preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings. He has missed the first four regular-season games of the year.

Gay was first eligible to return from the reserve list last week. Though he was spotted on the field without a helmet last week on Wednesday and Thursday during the portion of Chiefs practice open to media, the team opted to hold him back from a return against the Philadelphia Eagles.

Head coach Andy Reid was asked about Gay's potential activation on Monday.

"Theres' a chance," said Reid. "He was kind of getting there last week. We'll see on this, see where he's at as we go forward here. But I think he's starting to feel a little bit better, for sure."

Now that Gay is designated for his return, he can fully return to practice, and the Chiefs have 21 days to see how he responds and activate him to the 53-man roster.

In other moves on Tuesday, the Chiefs placed rookie defensive end Joshua Kaindoh on injured reserve and placed practice squad protections on quarterback Shane Buechele and defensive end Demone Harris.

Does this mean they can activate hIm and he could play Sunday. ?

2 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Does this mean they can activate hIm and he could play Sunday. ?

Nope They could but have 21 days to decide.

Chiefs designated LB Willie Gay (toe) to return from injured reserve.

The move means Gay can practice for 21 days before Kansas City must make an official decision on whether to activate him to the active roster. A second-round pick in 2020, Gay was poised to start for the Chiefs after posting 39 tackles and a sack across 16 games (eight starts) as a rookie. He was placed on injured reserve with turf toe on September 2.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Nope They could but have 21 days to decide.

Chiefs designated LB Willie Gay (toe) to return from injured reserve.

The move means Gay can practice for 21 days before Kansas City must make an official decision on whether to activate him to the active roster. A second-round pick in 2020, Gay was poised to start for the Chiefs after posting 39 tackles and a sack across 16 games (eight starts) as a rookie. He was placed on injured reserve with turf toe on September 2.

Thanks. So there is a chance they could activate him to the 53 before Sunday’s game. Let’s hope along with Clark Fenton and ward. 

2 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

Cowboys Released lb Jaylon Smith. He can't be worse than Mr Niemann can he.

Cowboys released LB Jaylon Smith.

Smith started all 16 games for the Cowboys last season and led the team with 161 tackles, but he was frequently scrutinized for his lack of speed and, perhaps more importantly, effort. He started Weeks 2 and 3 for Dallas before playing just 40% of snaps in Week 4. The Cowboys still owe him $7.2 million for this season. He's free to sign elsewhere in the meantime

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Cowboys released LB Jaylon Smith.

Smith started all 16 games for the Cowboys last season and led the team with 161 tackles, but he was frequently scrutinized for his lack of speed and, perhaps more importantly, effort. He started Weeks 2 and 3 for Dallas before playing just 40% of snaps in Week 4. The Cowboys still owe him $7.2 million for this season. He's free to sign elsewhere in the meantime

Interesting. He’s probably faster than Neumann. 

I wouldn’t mind him. What should happen but won’t if we did

SLB- smith and Harris battle for this spot. Both have good length and are strong to fight with TEs. 

MLB- Hitchens and Bolton. We all know Bolton is the better off the two but won’t get the starting spot. But Bolton is more physical, faster, and instinctive. 

WLB- Gay and DOD. Or two fastest LBers. Gay is the man. Playing the Will allows him to flow around and play sideline to sideline. 

Gay and DOD should be the nickel backers too. It’s time to get faster. Coach them up and let’s go. 

NO MORE NEIMANN

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

I wouldn’t mind him. What should happen but won’t if we did

SLB- smith and Harris battle for this spot. Both have good length and are strong to fight with TEs. 

MLB- Hitchens and Bolton. We all know Bolton is the better off the two but won’t get the starting spot. But Bolton is more physical, faster, and instinctive. 

WLB- Gay and DOD. Or two fastest LBers. Gay is the man. Playing the Will allows him to flow around and play sideline to sideline. 

Gay and DOD should be the nickel backers too. It’s time to get faster. Coach them up and let’s go. 

NO MORE NEIMANN

You got this correct. Smith is OLB playing MLB for Dallas for some odd reason. MLB he is not. I've been reading he is garbage and that is true....he's a garbage middle linebacker. He played his best ball on the outside when Sean Lee was healthy in the middle. Bring him in and put him back where he belongs....on the outside

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

You got this correct. Smith is OLB playing MLB for Dallas for some odd reason. MLB he is not. I've been reading he is garbage and that is true....he's a garbage middle linebacker. He played his best ball on the outside when Sean Lee was healthy in the middle. Bring him in and put him back where he belongs....on the outside

This kid was regarded as one of the better lbs to come out of college in some time. Sucks about his knee injury. There was talk it would be career ending. He fought through and came back, but I don't think he's ever resembled the player he was at ND.

Having said that, I think it would be insane not to kick the tires. We have the least talented LB room in the NFL. 

21 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This kid was regarded as one of the better lbs to come out of college in some time. Sucks about his knee injury. There was talk it would be career ending. He fought through and came back, but I don't think he's ever resembled the player he was at ND.

Having said that, I think it would be insane not to kick the tires. We have the least talented LB room in the NFL. 

At ND, he was more disruptive on the outside and displayed good pass rush ability. They ran a 3-4 where he switched between ILB and OLB which is basically an OLB in a 4-3. I have no idea why Dallas made it a point to keep him in the middle full-time. 

But I think you're right, that knee injury took away a lot of his ability. Dallas has had 2 different DC's the last 2yrs, and it's clear he's had trouble adjusting.

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

At ND, he was more disruptive on the outside and displayed good pass rush ability. They ran a 3-4 where he switched between ILB and OLB which is basically an OLB in a 4-3. I have no idea why Dallas made it a point to keep him in the middle full-time. 

But I think you're right, that knee injury took away a lot of his ability. Dallas has had 2 different DC's the last 2yrs, and it's clear he's had trouble adjusting.

Sadly, we've had the same DC the last 3 years and our players are still adjusting.