Defensive identity

Do they rank with specific positions like DE, DT or with position groups like DL or DB? I'm pretty sure we already have defenders that rank even lower than the backups for some other teams but if it's based on individual positions then we likely have the worst players in each position with a couple exceptions. 

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Sadly, we've had the same DC the last 3 years and our players are still adjusting. 

I think we have some decent talent on defense but most of them aren't established guys. Wharton is a pretty good DT, Danna is a decent DE, etc. but neither is an established guy to look out for. We have a lot of those and they may be solid starters in a couple years but right now our #1 issue is lack of production from guys that are supposed to be leading the way such as Clark, Hitchens, etc. As an example I was never high on Breeland and his million penalties but when he was around he provided a specific attitude. We may get some of it back from the most overpaid guy on the roster once he gets back but at this point I wouldn't mind trading for some unsettled defenders up front. 

21 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Dang in the Twitter thread… Sorenson is 80 of 82 safeties. Glad he contributes a lot on special teams and had a good camp.

I'd be willing to bet that Sorenson wouldn't even be on any other teams 53 man roster....Well, maybe as a special teams ace??

I just compared the first four games of the 2018, 2019, and current Chiefs. The stats for this team is the worse and the SB team the best. 2018 115 points allowed, 95 for 2019, and 125 for current.  

Hope they get it turned around

4 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

In my mind we have similar skillsets on both sides of the ball compared to the Rams, but why do they have a competent defense and we don't? 

We score too fast and spend most of the time on D?  Too many new guys and young guys who don't know what the other guys are doing? A number of things, which will change as the season goes on.  I think we will use the running game more and keep possession longer.  I think we will teach our young guys how to respond appropriately to the no-huddle, hurry up offense which is leaving us confused right now. Every team has been throwing that at us.  There is an antidote.  We will be at least average by the second half of the season.  That's all we need to be.  It's a terrible thing to watch right now, though.

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We score too fast and spend most of the time on D?  Too many new guys and young guys who don't know what the other guys are doing? A number of things, which will change as the season goes on.  I think we will use the running game more and keep possession longer.  I think we will teach our young guys how to respond appropriately to the no-huddle, hurry up offense which is leaving us confused right now. Every team has been throwing that at us.  There is an antidote.  We will be at least average by the second half of the season.  That's all we need to be.  It's a terrible thing to watch right now, though.

AGREE. I DONT WATCH THE DEFENSE. 

10 hours ago, qnet said:

I just compared the first four games of the 2018, 2019, and current Chiefs. The stats for this team is the worse and the SB team the best. 2018 115 points allowed, 95 for 2019, and 125 for current.  

Hope they get it turned around

Have you compared strength of schedule during the first four games?  (not by the difficulty in those years, but the teams as they are now).  That might be worth your while.

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Have you compared strength of schedule during the first four games?  (not by the difficulty in those years, but the teams as they are now).  That might be worth your while.

I may look into that, but suspect what I might find based on your comment.  I was mainly intrigued by what people thought of the defense back then. In 2019 things looked a lot more worse , at times; than they do now.

11 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Willie gay not looking good folks.

out for mental health now.

That's not good to hear, hope he'll be ok. Tough break for the Chiefs

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

I had a vivid nightmare last night .. no joke.

it was 31-9 at half time, bills. 

woke up in a panic.

I dont think it's that farfetched. I can see this being a game where we go into halftime down 27-3 or something. Score some garbage time tds and ends up being 41-24 or something.

I have no expectation of us winning. I think our defense is atrocious and we've got a DC who is really being left alone to do his thing. And is failing miserably. Which he's done a fair amount of in the past.

I hope he proves me wrong and just brings the fuckin house all game long. But I think we are seeing really bad Spagnuolo in 2021. Someone who got a little too much control and a little too comfortable.

32 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont think it's that farfetched. I can see this being a game where we go into halftime down 27-3 or something. Score some garbage time tds and ends up being 41-24 or something.

I have no expectation of us winning. I think our defense is atrocious and we've got a DC who is really being left alone to do his thing. And is failing miserably. Which he's done a fair amount of in the past.

I hope he proves me wrong and just brings the fuckin house all game long. But I think we are seeing really bad Spagnuolo in 2021. Someone who got a little too much control and a little too comfortable.

I'l agree with your first paragraph and the first sentence of the 2nd ..other than that  its just a bunch of sour grapes. He cant make Gay not stub his toe then be a crybaby about his vagina being upset, nor can he be held responsible for Clarks hammy, he didn't sign Clark to that ridiculous contract. You don't have the slightest idea of how much control he does or does not have in regards to what players he gets or keeps.

Chiefs are going to lose I agree and they'll look bad doing it but on the defensive side it's failures I lay on Veachs table not Spags..not yet.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I'l agree with your first paragraph and the first sentence of the 2nd ..other than that  its just a bunch of sour grapes. He cant make Gay not stub his toe then be a crybaby about his vagina being upset, nor can he be held responsible for Clarks hammy, he didn't sign Clark to that ridiculous contract. You don't have the slightest idea of how much control he does or does not have in regards to what players he gets or keeps.

Chiefs are going to lose I agree and they'll look bad doing it but on the defensive side it's failures I lay on Veachs table not Spags..not yet.

I'm not talking about control as far as roster construction. I mean control as far as who plays. There can't be many DCs around the league that would not be willing to try something different at LB or S at this point. I dont care if it's ODaniel, Harris, Thornhill, Watts or someone off the practice squad. Sorenson is ranked 80th out of 82 qualifying safeties. So you misinterpreted what I was saying. 

And the fact is he has had plenty of really crappy defenses as a DC and when he was a head coach. League bottom defenses. Thats not sour grapes. Those are statistical facts. Greg Robinson was a SB winning DC at one time too. Doesn't mean he was a good coach. Dude went to the college level and faceplanted too.

I supported the move when he was hired, but his defense is failing this year. And they look like a bunch of clowns out there doing it. Blown coverages, missed assignments, poor tackling. That's coaching.