Andy Reid hospitalized after the game

Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid taken to hospital after Sunday's loss, source says

3:46 PM MT
  • teicher_adam.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Kansas City Chiefs coach Andy Reid left Arrowhead Stadium in an ambulance following Sunday's game against the Los Angeles Chargers, according to a source.

Reid, 63, stayed on the sideline until the end of the Chiefs' 30-24 loss and returned to the locker room afterward.

A source close to Reid told ESPN's Jeff Darlington that the coach was in good spirits when he departed for precautionary observation after he felt ill.

A Chiefs source told Darlington that Reid is expected to be fine -- and there was very little alarm about the coach's status within the organization.

Reid addressed the team as he normally would after the game, and at least one player, running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire, said he was unaware there was anything out of the ordinary.

But Reid felt ill and departed for a local hospital for examination, a source said. He didn't address the media as he would normally after a game, leaving that job for assistant head coach Dave Toub.

Reid left in the ambulance less than an hour after the game ended.

Safety Tyrann Mathieu tweeted about Reid after the game, saying, "I'm praying for my Head Coach & I'm hoping you can send up prayers with me!! One of the best men & teachers I've been around!!! GOD please show us your mercy!"

37 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I agree EB should get the chance.  I was just going by the title.  

I sure hope Andy is OK and this is just precautions.

I think KC would run the ball more and be a more productive offense under EB. Mahomes does not look the same with this sudden stay in the pocket focus.. Maybe its still the oline but where is the vertical passing? I did not see Hill run many deep routes. Its almost like the offense goes into Alex Smith mode if they play two deep.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

I think KC would run the ball more and be a more productive offense under EB. Mahomes does not look the same with this sudden stay in the pocket focus.. Maybe its still the oline but where is the vertical passing? I did not see Hill run many deep routes. Its almost like the offense goes into Alex Smith mode if they play two deep.

Well you said you don't like the RPO and you say you think maybe the offense needs simplified, and to run more play action. I agree.

So I assume when you say "run the ball more" you mean you'd like to see Mahomes under center with more traditional handoffs. But how are they going to accomplish this and have Mahomes in the pocket LESS on passing plays?

Are you saying they should only have him in the shotgun on passing plays? Do you not think that would be a pretty clear indicator to defenses about when we were going to run vs pass?

1 hour ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I agree EB should get the chance.  I was just going by the title.  

I sure hope Andy is OK and this is just precautions.

Toub as HC, EB as OC calling the plays (not Reid/Toub). It’s just in KC where we have the HC calling plays, so we think the Assistant HC would call them, too.

20 minutes ago, qnet said:

Looks like it was just Dehydration. 

Hope so. My grandmother was sent home for “dehydration.” She was released from the hospital. Next day, passed away from an aortic aneurysm. I had decided to sleep in that day she had come back from the hospital. Should have gone even though I wouldn’t have known that would be the last goodbye.

4 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

Hope so. My grandmother was sent home for “dehydration.” She was released from the hospital. Next day, passed away from a aortic aneurysm. I had decided to sleep in that day she had come back from the hospital. Should have gone even though I wouldn’t have known that would be the last goodbye.

Damn, sorry for your loss bro. 

Quite frankly, I've been a little concerned about big red's health this season. I've noticed him actually losing breath when he talks. For a guy his size, that's a bad sign. 

6 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

Hope so. My grandmother was sent home for “dehydration.” She was released from the hospital. Next day, passed away from a aortic aneurysm. I had decided to sleep in that day she had come back from the hospital. Should have gone even though I wouldn’t have known that would be the last goodbye.

Sorry to hear that.

2 minutes ago, artsy said:

Damn, sorry for your loss bro. 

Quite frankly, I've been a little concerned about big red's health this season. I've noticed him actually losing breath when he talks. For a guy his size, that's a bad sign. 

Yeah, I've been worried about his health since he's ben coaching the Chiefs. If you watch some old Eagles footage, he's actually lost a lot of weight since those days. Hopefully he'll be ok.

11 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

so sorry about your grandmother.  misdiagnoses are a bitch.   

Chiefs coach Andy Reid was released from the hospital after being admitted for dehydration symptoms on Sunday.

It was clear early in the ordeal that the team was simply taking every precaution with Reid but it's a sigh of relief to see him leave the hospital so quickly. The team noted that Reid is in "great spirits" and will rejoin the team today or Tuesday. Everything should be back to normal soon as the Chiefs are preparing to take on the Eagles in Week 4.