A serious question..

Do you guys think teams are going for it on 4th downs because:

A. They're scared to give Pat the ball back?

B. They know they can make it?

I'm hearing people say that teams are going for it on 4th and forever because they don't want to give the ball back to KC's offense. I personally don't feel that's really the reason..

Help me guys...

12 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Analytics says go for it. There were a lot of games today where teams go for it. And we had a 6th string CB getting smoked on the last drive over and over.

Yea, but I feel like teams are playing 4 down football, no matter where they are...If it's 3rd and 7 and they pick up 3 or 4 yds, they're automatically going for it...no matter where they are on the field..Why the risk?

4 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yea, but I feel like teams are playing 4 down football, no matter where they are...If it's 3rd and 7 and they pick 3 or 4, they're automatically going for it...no matter where they are on the field..Why the risk?

Mahomes + Worst defense in the league. You can certainly beat one. Probably not the other.

9 minutes ago, qnet said:

I think it's both. 

Perhaps.

As a defensive player, you have to have some pride right? The chargers had better 4th down stats than 3rd down stats.  I do believe the offense will get their shit together eventually, but the defense has me worried about another deep run...especially when teams are just disrespecting the hell out of them.

2 minutes ago, artsy said:

Perhaps.

As a defensive player, you have to have some pride right? The chargers had better 4th down stats than 3rd down stats.  I do believe the offense will get their shit together eventually, but the defense has me worried about another deep run...especially when teams are just disrespecting the hell out of them.

I agree it's not normal. Hope they get it together. 

1 hour ago, artsy said:

Do you guys think teams are going for it on 4th downs because:

A. They're scared to give Pat the ball back?

B. They know they can make it?

I'm hearing people say that teams are going for it on 4th and forever because they don't want to give the ball back to KC's offense. I personally don't feel that's really the reason..

Help me guys...

You don’t for it on 4th and 9 with 1 minute left when a fg ties the game because you think you can make it.   You do it because you are scared of Mahomes.  32 seconds left and we get to mid field with three chances to get to the 25-35.   Missed a Kelce.   Mugging of Hill, Pringle drops the ball, and the Hail Mary tackling session.  

4th and 1 maybe you feel confident but the underlying reason you are going for it is to limit Mahomes possessions…..so it still ends with being afraid of Mahomes.

14 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

You don’t for it on 4th and 9 with 1 minute left when a fg ties the game because you think you can make it.   You do it because you are scared of Mahomes.  32 seconds left and we get to mid field with three chances to get to the 25-35.   Missed a Kelce.   Mugging of Hill, Pringle drops the ball, and the Hail Mary tackling session.  

4th and 1 maybe you feel confident but the underlying reason you are going for it is to limit Mahomes possessions…..so it still ends with being afraid of Mahomes.

I agree with your assessment for THIS GAME. However, every team this season has been going for it. If I recall Baltimore went for it on 4th down on their side of the field a couple of times???

I think as someone mentioned above, it's probably both. Opposing offenses feel strongly confident they can make 4th downs and it keeps Mahomes off the field. We're gonna keep seeing it until we can stop it.

I could be wrong, but I think something was wrong with the Chargers kicker and the decisions to go for it on 4th had something to do with that as well.  But to be honest, you can't give the chiefs offense the ball back and expect to beat them.  if teams aren't going for it on 4th, they don't come close to beating the Chiefs

30 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I could be wrong, but I think something was wrong with the Chargers kicker and the decisions to go for it on 4th had something to do with that as well.  But to be honest, you can't give the chiefs offense the ball back and expect to beat them.  if teams aren't going for it on 4th, they don't come close to beating the Chiefs

I guess the struggle I'm having is that teams are making first downs going for it on 4th. Every single time!

They give no respect to our defense whatsoever...Lol.