Sky is not falling but there are major issues.....

This team could still win the SB.   We've seen this D get things figured out and this O is still incredible.   

4 TO's and we still have a drive to win the game in the 4 is pretty amazing.   We played about as pathetic on O and yet we were still in the game.

The D came out swinging today.  2 - 3 and outs to start the game and the O squandered it.   

So I think we will be fine if we tweak a few things and if we are honest with what we are and what we have.   We have a below avg def that could possibly a 20th ranked D if they get everything to fall right (Frank get healthy and Gay to be a force), but we aren't going to be a top 10 unit.

I think this D needs to be scrapped in the offseason.....maybe the DC as well.   This is year 3 and we aren't getting better inspite of having more talent than we've had since Spags got here.   Guys aren't developing, personnel decisions are hard to defend, and scheme is pretty pathetic.    Those are the facts.   Can they get better?  Sure they can, but why haven't they in 3 years.

Andy needs to make a tough call here and get some young blood on the defensive side of the ball.  Maybe House or Daly.    Tear it own.   Don't resign HB.  Love the guy, he's versatile and he's a good player.  He isn't work 20 million a year.   Sure he had those int's last week but when we need stops he just doesn't play a position that matters that much.   Meaning its easy to scheme around him.  Instead use that money to get a bonafide pass rusher.  Cut Frank, Dan, Ben, and Hitchens..   Sign another pass rusher....be creative find an up and comer, trade your first whatever get a pass rusher.   Slide CJ back inside.   The best defenses have dominant pass rushing fronts.  They can generate pressure with 4.  We can't generate pressure with 6.   

Bolton and Gay are your starting backers.  Sneed, Thornhill, Baker, and build from there.   Hope EB gets a HC job and use those picks to fill in the gaps with picks, udfas, and one year vet deals.   If you are going to suck on D then might as well divert money to positions that matter like O and pass rushers.   

Finally quit screwing around on O and find a talented up and comer to be your #2 wr.   Since we can't develop anything see if we can trade for one or use a higher round pick on one.  Maybe DE/WR in rounds 1 and 2.   

There is no excuse for this D to be this bad with the amount of money tied up on that side of the ball.   I would love for Spags to be the guy to overhaul it but I've got my suspicions he more of the problem than the solution at this point in time.   Hope I'm wrong.  

Again we can win a SB with some minor tweaks but major changes are necessary if we wan't to be taken seriously as a dynasty. 

2 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

This team could still win the SB.   We've seen this D get things figured out and this O is still incredible.   

4 TO's and we still have a drive to win the game in the 4 is pretty amazing.   We played about as pathetic on O and yet we were still in the game.

The D came out swinging today.  2 - 3 and outs to start the game and the O squandered it.   

So I think we will be fine if we tweak a few things and if we are honest with what we are and what we have.   We have a below avg def that could possibly a 20th ranked D if they get everything to fall right (Frank get healthy and Gay to be a force), but we aren't going to be a top 10 unit.

I think this D needs to be scrapped in the offseason.....maybe the DC as well.   This is year 3 and we aren't getting better inspite of having more talent than we've had since Spags got here.   Guys aren't developing, personnel decisions are hard to defend, and scheme is pretty pathetic.    Those are the facts.   Can they get better?  Sure they can, but why haven't they in 3 years.

Andy needs to make a tough call here and get some young blood on the defensive side of the ball.  Maybe House or Daly.    Tear it own.   Don't resign HB.  Love the guy, he's versatile and he's a good player.  He isn't work 20 million a year.   Sure he had those int's last week but when we need stops he just doesn't play a position that matters that much.   Meaning its easy to scheme around him.  Instead use that money to get a bonafide pass rusher.  Cut Frank, Dan, Ben, and Hitchens..   Sign another pass rusher....be creative find an up and comer, trade your first whatever get a pass rusher.   Slide CJ back inside.   The best defenses have dominant pass rushing fronts.  They can generate pressure with 4.  We can't generate pressure with 6.   

Bolton and Gay are your starting backers.  Sneed, Thornhill, Baker, and build from there.   Hope EB gets a HC job and use those picks to fill in the gaps with picks, udfas, and one year vet deals.   If you are going to suck on D then might as well divert money to positions that matter like O and pass rushers.   

Finally quit screwing around on O and find a talented up and comer to be your #2 wr.   Since we can't develop anything see if we can trade for one or use a higher round pick on one.  Maybe DE/WR in rounds 1 and 2.   

There is no excuse for this D to be this bad with the amount of money tied up on that side of the ball.   I would love for Spags to be the guy to overhaul it but I've got my suspicions he more of the problem than the solution at this point in time.   Hope I'm wrong.  

Again we can win a SB with some minor tweaks but major changes are necessary if we wan't to be taken seriously as a dynasty. 

Our first rd pick needs to be a pass rusher. We have 25% of our cap invested in the dline. That needs to change. I'm not opposed to signing a free agent to replace Clark, and I agree the money used to extend Badger would be better spent there. Not sure the Chiefs will agree. I think they will sign Badger and kick the can down the road contract wise. Save us money on the front end. That won't be the end of the world. 

I think with Gay and Bolton and another young drafted LB or a solid vet free agent we could have a very good starting LB unit. But the depth is a mess. 

We also have almost no money invested at CB. And Ward, Hughes, Baker are all free agents. Plus Sorenson and Watts are free agents at safety. 

As far the scheme and DC I completely agree. I liked the Spags hiring because he was so different than Sutton with regard to play calling. He's from the JJ tree and they bring the house. But he isnt JJ. And I think the last 2 yrs a lot of our deficiencies have been masked specifically because of creative exotic blitz packages have been effective. Now that he is calling a little more vanilla game plan you are seeing a unit really struggling. And there is ZERO excuse for players to be in year 3 of a system and running around this confused. 

Some of it is on the players. Some of it is on Veach. But overall I think maybe they need to go a different direction like you said. 

There is an absolute fuck ton of work to do on defense. And how much of it can be done in season? Really disappointing start to the year. But on to Philly. 

I agree with you.  I think this team will look much different come November/December.  You'll see the three rookies on the oline along with two brand new players gel and Mahomes will feel more comfortable in the pocket.  I'm hoping backwards drob will be relegated to ST and Pringle take over his spot more (would love Gordon but don't see that happening).  The LB's will be steady with Gay back, Thornhill should be the starter again and maybe we'll stop shooting ourselves in the foot.

I know people say we could easily be 0-3 but to me the more realistic thing is we won't continue with the high turnover rate, that's what has kept us from being 3-0.

Pass rush and another WR should be our priority in the draft.

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

every great team needs a step back season where they get better draft picks and reload. this might be one of those years. to bad we are missing 2 drft picks this next year

Only missing a 5th?  Got a 6th back from Ravens and an extra 7th from Pats for Durant I think.  5th goes to Ravens.  Traded a 6th and 7th for Mike Hughes?

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Our first rd pick needs to be a pass rusher. We have 25% of our cap invested in the dline. That needs to change. I'm not opposed to signing a free agent to replace Clark, and I agree the money used to extend Badger would be better spent there. Not sure the Chiefs will agree. I think they will sign Badger and kick the can down the road contract wise. Save us money on the front end. That won't be the end of the world. 

I think with Gay and Bolton and another young drafted LB or a solid vet free agent we could have a very good starting LB unit. But the depth is a mess. 

We also have almost no money invested at CB. And Ward, Hughes, Baker are all free agents. Plus Sorenson and Watts are free agents at safety. 

As far the scheme and DC I completely agree. I liked the Spags hiring because he was so different than Sutton with regard to play calling. He's from the JJ tree and they bring the house. But he isnt JJ. And I think the last 2 yrs a lot of our deficiencies have been masked specifically because of creative exotic blitz packages have been effective. Now that he is calling a little more vanilla game plan you are seeing a unit really struggling. And there is ZERO excuse for players to be in year 3 of a system and running around this confused. 

Some of it is on the players. Some of it is on Veach. But overall I think maybe they need to go a different direction like you said. 

There is an absolute fuck ton of work to do on defense. And how much of it can be done in season? Really disappointing start to the year. But on to Philly. 

That Mike Williams 2pt conversion…..no one…..I mean no one lined up on him.   HB ran from the middle of the field.  I’m not even sure that was the offensive play call but he wasn’t even defended.   Like you said year three it shouldn’t be like that.   Can you name any player that is better now than they were three years ago?    The good ones were good but the middle of the road guys are still avg and now older and slower.   I totally agree a lot of work ahead. Doubt any of it gets done.   Worries me that this organization will lose prime Mahomes years being loyal to friends on staff who aren’t pulling their weight.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

One can only hope that someone hires EB.  Those two third would go a long way!

I think his window slammed shut last year and as had been speculated before either he is just a crappy interview or the Pederson/Nagy experience has ruined any chance EB had...maybe a combination of both  but yea I agree this maybe the year that  could really be helpful draft wise

35 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I think his window slammed shut last year and as had been speculated before either he is just a crappy interview of the Pederson/Nagy experience has ruined any chance EB had...maybe a combination of both  but yea I agree this maybe the year that  could really be helpful draft wise

I feel like Pederson got screwed because of the Wentz situation.  Nagy just wasn't close to being ready.   Regardless, you are probably right.  He probably does need to take a college HC job and work himself back into the conversation.   

Ahh, good posts this morning Dirts!

I agree with everything you said in your op. However, is there anything we can do for the defense this year???

The middle of the defense is soft as cotton, no real pass rushing DE's, and Mathieu refuses to get his jersey dirty because he's in a contract year. 

The CBs were supposed to be the strength of this team..which is probably the reason the chiefs didn't invest in a real pass rushing DE; maybe betting/hoping for a ton of coverage sacks?? 

Willie Gay comes back, but then Bolton hits the bench. That's pretty much a wash..

Thornhill seems to pass the eye test every time he's on the field, yet we see way more "Dookie" Dan than Thornhill...?? Spags seems scared to bring the heat on passing downs. And the Chiefs can't seem to figure out, after 3 games that playing CJ at DE actually hurts the defense, by taking a all pro DT and neutralizing his effectiveness by playing him in a position he has no experience/ability to play. 

Geez, we have problems on defense.

49 minutes ago, artsy said:

Ahh, good posts this morning Dirts!

I agree with everything you said in your op. However, is there anything we can do for the defense this year???

The middle of the defense is soft as cotton, no real pass rushing DE's, and Mathieu refuses to get his jersey dirty because he's in a contract year. 

The CBs were supposed to be the strength of this team..which is probably the reason the chiefs didn't invest in a real pass rushing DE; maybe betting/hoping for a ton of coverage sacks?? 

Willie Gay comes back, but then Bolton hits the bench. That's pretty much a wash..

Thornhill seems to pass the eye test every time he's on the field, yet we see way more "Dookie" Dan than Thornhill...?? Spags seems scared to bring the heat on passing downs. And the Chiefs can't seem to figure out, after 3 games that playing CJ at DE actually hurts the defense, by taking a all pro DT and neutralizing his effectiveness by playing him in a position he has no experience/ability to play. 

Geez, we have problems on defense.

Only possibility for major improvement is Frank coming back healthy and being the 10 sack guy we signed him to be.   I'm not holding my breath.   Getting Sorensen and Niemann off the field could help a little but not enough to put us in 10-15 range.    Our front 4 cannot generate pressure or be stout enough vs the run (yesterday was better in this department).   This forces Spags to blitz more than he should which opens up major holes in the secondary.    I would suggest bringing in Olivier Vernon if he checks out.   

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Only possibility for major improvement is Frank coming back healthy and being the 10 sack guy we signed him to be.   I'm not holding my breath.   Getting Sorensen and Niemann off the field could help a little but not enough to put us in 10-15 range.    Our front 4 cannot generate pressure or be stout enough vs the run (yesterday was better in this department).   This forces Spags to blitz more than he should which opens up major holes in the secondary.    I would suggest bringing in Olivier Vernon if he checks out.   

Fucking frank needs to play and do so well. He is pretty much in his contract year and if this keeps up will be easily cut by us. Good riddance. 

I think the D right now is a lot worse than mediocre.  It doesn't mean it will stay that way, but it is right now.  I see four reasons for yesterday, 1) 4 turnovers will make any team lose, no matter who they are.  2) Clark may be more valuable than he is being given credit for. 3) Mike Williams 4) Justin Herbert is outstanding