Chiefs signing Josh Gordon

28 minutes ago, xen said:

Not really shocking when teams devote 2 and 3 guys to stopping him.  It's on the other guys to win their 1 on 1's to make em pay for that.

Also can you define "shut out"?  

Cause he's on pace for 107 catches and 1500+ yards.

He’s everything but a big target. 

We don’t have a big receiver to empower themself on the field and make high catches away from defenders. 

Josh Gordon will be the man. (shoulda been DK Metcalf) 

6 hours ago, xen said:

Not really shocking when teams devote 2 and 3 guys to stopping him.  It's on the other guys to win their 1 on 1's to make em pay for that.

Also can you define "shut out"?  

Cause he's on pace for 107 catches and 1500+ yards.

hill and hardman suck.. never mind  there both playing at very, very high levels.. 

On 9/29/2021 at 8:00 AM, oldtimer said:

I'll agree wit the last sentence  that when necessary we should be able to be 3 yrds and a cloud of dust. All the motion is a way to see who's covering who.  Vince Lombardi football  dont cut it anymore. RPO's work as do Jet sweeps  with Tyreek just maybe not use them as much. .

Just a hunch here but I wonder if  much of this stuff is not an effort by Andy to make the game fun for MVPat?  I'm not saying I agree with many of those gadget plays but Jet Sweeps, RPO's and motion  are not Gadgets

https://www.nfl.com/news/three-offensive-strategies-paying-off-early-in-2021-nfl-season-plus-my-favorite-

Looks like you were right. It's actually helping reduce pressure on Pat. I guess you learn a few things when you've been watching football for 117 yrs.

The Chiefs could promote Josh Gordon to the roster for Week 5 against the Buffalo Bills.

Head coach Andy Reid, quarterback Patrick Mahomes and others have been nothing but positive about the acquisition and what they’ve seen so far from Gordon. What is clear is that he is immediately one of the team’s biggest pass catchers and occupies a potentially important spot as a reliable, physical target who must be respected by opposing defenses who get too keyed in on Travis Kelce at tight end or Tyreek Hill at wide receiver.

While the report is positive, it’s also important to note that due to injuries and suspensions, Gordon has played a total of 33 games since the end of the 2013 season—yes, that’s 2013. Gordon’s talent has always been there, but availability has been the issue. Can Kansas City create a different atmosphere around him? That remains to be seen.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:59 AM, robgar said:

and yeah.. hills catches are down.. .. 

and kelces are up. 

15 guys catching the ball.. 

no recieving aint the problem

Hill got his catches today.  I’m guessing the Chiefs are giving it to the hot-hand or whomever the opposing defense is not double-teaming.

So if Gordon is our #2 WR does that make Hardman the slot?

9 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Hope so. Hardman = slot > outside 

Seems a little early to me to assume that Gordon is the #2 after not playing for a year and only playing 67 games throughout his 7 year career and none since 2019...and 5 suspensions.  #2 wide receivers usually have gotten to play more than 7 games each season. 

48 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Seems a little early to me to assume that Gordon is the #2 after not playing for a year and only playing 67 games throughout his 7 year career and none since 2019...and 5 suspensions.  #2 wide receivers usually have gotten to play more than 7 games each season. 

yup..Hardman almost looked like a legit #2 yesterday

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Josh Gordon has a chance to play in Week 5 against the Bills.

Reid added that he wants to make sure Gordon has a firm grasp on the playbook before letting him play. The Cheifs have been unable to find consistent production from a second receiver this year. Mecole Hardman is third on the team with 123 receiving yards. 

5 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Gordon is nothing more than a very low cost, low risk opportunity to take pressure off Hill/Kelce double teams.  If he catches only two or three passes, he's served his purpose.  If he becomes a threat equal to a healthy Watkins, then the Chiefs have struck gold.  I'd expect Gordon to have a very limited play book for now, but if he's in game shape, he'll keep the opposing defenses honest.  That's all the Chiefs need. 

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Gordon is nothing more than a very low cost, low risk opportunity to take pressure off Hill/Kelce double teams.  If he catches only two or three passes, he's served his purpose.  If he becomes a threat equal to a healthy Watkins, then the Chiefs have struck gold.  I'd expect Gordon to have a very limited play book for now, but if he's in game shape, he'll keep the opposing defenses honest.  That's all the Chiefs need. 

Well said 

51 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Good points. Of course that assumes Hill stays healthy. Chiefs need receivers that will step up if Hill or Kelce are out. Adding Gordan gives them an additional option. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I was referring to Chiefmanzada's comment about him being a WR2.

It's not easy to play on the outside. Have to be able to be physical and make tough back-shoulder catches. 

I like the idea of Hardman in the slot because with his speed and quickness, it opens up the floor for more space to make some serious cuts - inside or out. 

27 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I was referring to Chiefmanzada's comment about him being a WR2.

I agree with Chiefmanzada that Hardman is better as a slot receiver.  Being #2 is more the second wide out than the person who gets the second most targets.  Kelce is the #2 more than a TE but we don't refer to him that way.  There's also the outside chance that Gordon COULD become his old self and become a top WR.  Likely?  probably not at age 30 with two years off and there's the strong chance that he'll revert to his old ways if he starts feeling success again.  Like I said, it's a low risk situation and if he never catches a pas in a Chiefs uniform, no that much is lost.