Interesting breakdown of our defense...

Just now, soonerborn77 said:

I had to listen to a part on the radio, he was in on I believe the start of the second drive, missed a tackle and Mitch said he got subbed out immediately. 

Wish they would sub out Sorensen and Niemann when they miss a tackle. Would never see them again.

1 minute ago, soonerborn77 said:

I had to listen to a part on the radio, he was in on I believe the start of the second drive, missed a tackle and Mitch said he got subbed out immediately. 

Yep, came in later and by my count missed two more. But he needs to play regularly to get some rhythm 

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Wish they would sub out Sorensen and Niemann when they miss a tackle. Would never see them again.

Unfortunately our defensive coaches are seeing different standards for different players. Which I think is cracking the structure of the defense

11 minutes ago, soonerborn77 said:

This pretty much sums it up

I think they're playing HB more at FS because he wont tackle when he's in the box. Hence, more Dookie Dan in the box (SS). Thornhill is FS, not a SS. If Thornhill comes in the game to replace anyone, it would be HB...Because they're playing the same position. 

In other words, we NEED A Strong Safety.

2 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Which tells you we’ve adjusted our defense so Sorensen can play. This is on Spags. 
i wish we could see Watts as the box guy. See what we have. He is a physical guy

Yea, I seriously doubt that he would be any worse than Sorensen at tackling. I know he would do better in coverage.

17 minutes ago, Palangi said:

Which tells you we’ve adjusted our defense so Sorensen can play. This is on Spags. 
i wish we could see Watts as the box guy. See what we have. He is a physical guy

Because Sorenson is worthless in coverage over the top. But Sorenson also can't cover backs or TEs. Spags is picking his poison. But in being unwilling to play Thornhill he's also the one administering  the poison.

Thornhills strength is coverage, so him not being willing to utilize him more is handcuffing the whole defense. Sorenson as a 3rd safety is fine. As a starter he is not. And Spags is compromising the effectiveness of the entire unit in order to keep his favorite players on the field.

It's bullshit and its inexcusable , but the simple fact is that Reid is so involved in the offense that he has always let his DC have autonomy. It's costing us dearly this yr. Thornhill didn't forget how to play football. Spags sure seems like he's forgotten how to coach it.

Wonder what the defensive meetings are like when they go back and break down film? I mean what can Spags say? "Wait for it....wait for it. Alright there was a pretty good stop right there! Do more of that." Tackling is still an issue, gap integrity is bad, miscommunication, blown assignments." A lot of people are stealing paychecks I can tell you that.

15 hours ago, Palangi said:

It shouldn’t be out of position. We have Hitchens the QB of our defense out there. Isn’t that why he sticks around? That’s what we’ve been told. 

Didn't we hear Reid explain all last season that Neiman was valuable because he understood the defense so well?  Somebody isn't doing their job and Sorenson would probably be beaten in a foot race with Saunders.  I don't see where the improvements comes from until Fenton, Gay, and Clark come back. Hitchens is on the wrong side of average and Huges and Sorenson are killing the deense.  Also, Jones needs to stay in the interior.

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

Thornhill played yesterday.  I didn’t follow him closely, though I do know I saw him multiple times. 

Thornhill missed an obvious tackle yesterday and made a good one.  He won't be effective until he starts and plays most of the snaps.  Whatever is going on between him and Spags or Reid, they need to fix it and get him playing. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Didn't we hear Reid explain all last season that Neiman was valuable because he understood the defense so well?  Somebody isn't doing their job and Sorenson would probably be beaten in a foot race with Saunders.  I don't see where the improvements comes from until Fenton, Gay, and Clark come back. Hitchens is on the wrong side of average and Huges and Sorenson are killing the deense.  Also, Jones needs to stay in the interior.

You know who else understands the defense really well? Coaches, but you don't see them out on the field.  So maybe Niemann should embrace his calling and join the coaching staff because he as effective as they would be on the field. 

8 hours ago, Calichief said:

The lack of impact from Jones on the outside is really obvious. He must go back inside.

the lack of closing speed on the defense is glaring.

watched it twice already and we had moments to sack the qb, make tackles, and run guys out, and just couldn’t. 

Jones has been awful outside.  Instead of shooting gaps, he's being asked to get upfield on the outside and keep contain.  He looks clueless when teams run right at him.  It was a stupid move from the beginning.  Jones is well above average at tackle, and even if he's slightly better than average on the end (which he hasn't been) you've still downgraded him.  He needs to be back inside, yesterday.  

I wish I knew exactly what our defensive philosophy was.  It's not speed.  It's not power.  What's our identity? Personally, I'd like to build more toward speed, similar to what Tampa has.  That would be the perfect compliment to our offense. 

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

Jones has been awful outside.  Instead of shooting gaps, he's being asked to get upfield on the outside and keep contain.  He looks clueless when teams run right at him.  It was a stupid move from the beginning.  Jones is well above average at tackle, and even if he's slightly better than average on the end (which he hasn't been) you've still downgraded him.  He needs to be back inside, yesterday.  

I wish I knew exactly what our defensive philosophy was.  It's not speed.  It's not power.  What's our identity? Personally, I'd like to build more toward speed, similar to what Tampa has.  That would be the perfect compliment to our offense. 

And honestly that's the reason I'm fine if they let Badger walk. I love the dude but his game is very cerebral. He's not that fast to begin with and it's magnified with him surrounded by a bunch of other slow players.

Is there a safety tandem in the league with less speed than him and Sorenson?

At DT, Jones is flying through those gaps. Above average speed for a DT. At DE he's slower than shit. The dude weighs 290 lbs. Nnadi is slow, Okafor is slow, Niemann is slow. Outside Sneed we don't even have good speed at CB!! Fenton, Baker, Ward...none of those guys can run stride for stride with a burner.

This defense is seriously flawed and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. As a unit they have no speed.

So I'm guessing the defensive gameplan against Buffalo is the same as Philly....hope they get a couple RedZone stops and hold them to a field goal here or there and count on the offense to outscore them. Heaven forbid they could actually force a punt 

8 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And honestly that's the reason I'm fine if they let Badger walk. I love the dude but his game is very cerebral. He's not that fast to begin with and it's magnified with him surrounded by a bunch of other slow DUMB players.

Is there a safety tandem in the league with less speed than him and Sorenson?

At DT, Jones is flying through those gaps. Above average speed for a DT. At DE he's slower than shit. The dude weighs 290 lbs. Nnadi is slow, Okafor is slow, Niemann is slow. Outside Sneed we don't even have good speed at CB!! Fenton, Baker, Ward...none of those guys can run stride for stride with a burner.

This defense is seriously flawed and I think you may have hit the nail on the head. As a unit they have no speed.

FIFY