what is up with this defense?

4 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

Does anybody have a reasonable explanation why in the hell the defense plays like large holes in swiss cheese during the 1st half and then tightens up and  kicks ass and get a few 3 & outs in the 2nd half like they did tonight in the Bills game?  

Bad DC with a bad scheme and very little talent. The big money players take a lot of time off. No heart. Slow. Not intelligent. 

2 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think HB throwing his hands up twice tonight after Dan got burnt tells it all..

Yeah, it bothered me seeing that. It's like he was doing what he was supposed to do, and didn't expect what happened. On one play, all the defenders backs were turned running for a deep pass, and Allen hit the guy underneath for a huge gain. By the time they noticed it, it was way too late, 

I think that PFF post in another thread pointed out we have the most expensive defensive line in the league. Those guys all suck. Hitchens sucks. Sorenson shouldn’t be starting. I don’t care if the scheme is crap, we don’t see any good individual play either. They need to get out of all these contracts. Frank Clark hopefully goes to jail and we can get out of it.

4 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I think that PFF post in another thread pointed out we have the most expensive defensive line in the league. Those guys all suck. Hitchens sucks. Sorenson shouldn’t be starting. I don’t care if the scheme is crap, we don’t see any good individual play either. They need to get out of all these contracts. Frank Clark hopefully goes to jail and we can get out of it.

He probably won't go to jail, but the chiefs will be cutting him I believe. Doesn't matter if Veech doesn't draft well or goes out and signs another Seahawk retread..

I admit I was on the Sorenson bandwagon primarily because of the plays he made that got the Chiefs to the next step to the SB.  But what I saw in the Bills game, he's not good enough to even ride the pine.  Seeing him cover his guy from 10 to 20 yards behind him, I could not be sure that Sorenson could be good enough to carry the bucket to slop the hogs!

8 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Bad DC with a bad scheme and very little talent. The big money players take a lot of time off. No heart. Slow. Not intelligent. 

yea Spags just turned into a dumbass after having a 2 SB appearance Defense..comical.  I think the talent is there  but no depth and Yep, Yep And Yep

1 hour ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I admit I was on the Sorenson bandwagon primarily because of the plays he made that got the Chiefs to the next step to the SB.  But what I saw in the Bills game, he's not good enough to even ride the pine.  Seeing him cover his guy from 10 to 20 yards behind him, I could not be sure that Sorenson could be good enough to carry the bucket to slop the hogs!

What's even worse is Dan had been in the system 3 years so there's no excuse for any mental lapses. He's just done and needs to go. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

yea Spags just turned into a dumbass after having a 2 SB appearance Defense..comical.  I think the talent is there  but no depth and Yep, Yep And Yep

I'll say it again. Spags is a bad DC. If we're going to give him credit for being a good DC for the SB runs, then we can hold him accountable for this shit show. He rolls out Sorenson and Nieman every week. That's a bad DC.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Starts up front. This defensive line is close to worthless. Everything behind it is going to look bad when there is zero penetration on running or passing downs. 

Or if you have Sorensen in coverage the ball comes out too quick to get pressure. 

6 hours ago, Palangi said:

Or if you have Sorensen in coverage the ball comes out too quick to get pressure. 

It's really bad. They've gone away from running as many 3 safety looks. So if they are running with 2 safeties and insist on him being the starter, that pretty much relegates Thornhill to the bench. 

It just doesn't make any sense. If they, as coaches, are tasked with putting players in a position to maximize their talents, why is Sorenson being left alone in coverage so much?

Why was Gay coming off the field on 3rd downs, and Niemann and Sorenson back out there? The most important down in a series and you insist on putting your 2 worst defensive players out there? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting it all on Spags. Some of this is on Veach. And some is on Reid. But it needs to get fixed. These fuckin guys are out there just going through motions. 

In his first three years in the NFL, Pro Football Focus gave him the following ratings in run defense:

2018: 76.8

2019: 71.9

2020: 81.7

So far, in 2021, Nnadi's run defense rating is down 30 points from last year to 51.1. What's worse is that Nnadi's numbers are not an outlier on the Chiefs' defense.

According to PFF, Nnadi is toward the top of Kansas City's run defense rankings in 2021.

To highlight how bad the Chiefs run defense has been this year, I'll put it this way— there is not a single defensive lineman or linebacker on the Chiefs who has played more than 10 snaps this year that has a run defense rating over 60.

The closest is Willie Gay Jr. at 58.2, and he has only played 25 snaps so far this year.

Unsurprisingly, the three worst run defenders on the Chiefs are:

• Ben Niemann: 37.9

Daniel Sorensen: 33.5

Anthony Hitchens: 30.5

Now, PFF's ratings are not the end-all, be-all to football analysis. But they are a good overall indicator of performance on the field, and when an entire defense scores as poorly as the Chiefs have, it's a problem

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

In his first three years in the NFL, Pro Football Focus gave him the following ratings in run defense:

2018: 76.8

2019: 71.9

2020: 81.7

So far, in 2021, Nnadi's run defense rating is down 30 points from last year to 51.1. What's worse is that Nnadi's numbers are not an outlier on the Chiefs' defense.

According to PFF, Nnadi is toward the top of Kansas City's run defense rankings in 2021.

To highlight how bad the Chiefs run defense has been this year, I'll put it this way— there is not a single defensive lineman or linebacker on the Chiefs who has played more than 10 snaps this year that has a run defense rating over 60.

The closest is Willie Gay Jr. at 58.2, and he has only played 25 snaps so far this year.

Unsurprisingly, the three worst run defenders on the Chiefs are:

• Ben Niemann: 37.9

Daniel Sorensen: 33.5

Anthony Hitchens: 30.5

Now, PFF's ratings are not the end-all, be-all to football analysis. But they are a good overall indicator of performance on the field, and when an entire defense scores as poorly as the Chiefs have, it's a problem

Dirty Ben and the Boys.