My 2014 "Rankings"

Disclaimer - These "Rankings" are supposed to fluctuate, a bit OCD of me. Undefeated teams go before those who've lost. Who they beat matters. It'll all settle down by Week 17.

Week One

1. Seattle - Defending Champions beat Playoff Team.

2. Broncos - Beat Playoff team.

3. Dolphins - Beat AFCC team - Will drop next week, even if win.

4. Falcons - Beat Playoff team.

5. Cardinals - Beat Playoff Team.

6. Titans - Convincingly beat playoff team.

7. Niners - Convincingly beat Non-Playoff Team,

8. Bengals - Beat a close to playoffs team last year.

9. Bills - Beat a close to playoffs team last year.

10. Lions - Convincingly beat bad team last year.

11. Panthers - Closely beat a Bad Team last year.

12. Eagles - Finished strong against bad team last year.

13. Vikings - Beat bad team convincingly. Will drop next week, unless they beat Patriots.

14. Steelers - Beat bad team, barely.

15. Texans - Barely beat bad team, last year's record tie-breaker between them and Steelers.

16. Jets - Barely beat bad team with rookie.

17. Packers - Reputation and who they lost to breaks tie.

18. Patriots - Reputation for bounceback beats next team.

19. Saints - Reputation despite loss.

20. Colts - Barely lost to AFC champions, playoff team last year, but no reputation yet.

21. Chargers - Barely lost to good defensive team, playoff team last year.

22. Cowboys - Convincingly lost to NFCC participant, opponent brings them here.

23. Ravens - Lost to playoff team, unlike Bears.

24. Bears - Lost to non-playoff team at home.

25. Buccaneers - Lost to playoff team, but not better than Bears.

26. Chiefs - Lost to perhaps ascending team, KC was a playoff team last year unlike Browns.

27. Browns - Almost beat close to playoffs team with great comeback.

28. Jaguars - Great start, bad ending, overall bad team so far - still got up on playoff team.

29. Raiders - Lost to perhaps ascending team, barely.

30. Giants - Will bounce back at some point, but lost to non-playoff team convincingly.

31. Rams -  Bad, but understandable, unlike Redskins.

32. Redskins - Lost to last year's worst team convincingly.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week Two

1. Denver: Beating two playoff teams and being undefeated.

2. Eagles: Beat a playoff team and despite their slow start in week one, turned it around heading into Indianapolis.

3. Bengals: Beat two close to but not really playoff teams.

4. Cardinals: Beat playoff team in Week 1 and won with their backup QB in week 2.

5. Panthers: Beat nobody really, but playoff team last year.

6. Bills - Can't be above any of the other unbeaten, can they? Disrespect from me?

7. Texans - Beat nobody, but undefeated - beat who is on the schedule as you improve, right?

8. Chargers - They beat Seattle and while I normally would still put them below Seattle due to their first week loss was to a worse team than who the Seahawks lost to, in my opinion, I'm putting them above because of head-to-head.

9. Seattle - Really my second ranked team, see disclaimer. Expect them to rise as teams above them lose.

10. Chicago - Think that the Niners are better, but since they beat the Niners, can't drop them below them this early . As season, progresses, I think the Niners will easily pass them.

11. Niners - Beat a non-playoff team and lost to a non-playoff team, but can't drop them further.

12. Miami - No, they are not better than New England, but for the same reasons as above, they beat the Patriots...

13. Patriots - They beat nobody and lost to Miami, but going on reputation here.

14. Green Bay - Loss was to the defending champions and while the Jets game was not demonstrative of their reputation, placing them here because I trust them in the regular season.

15. Atlanta - Who knows if the Saints are bad enough that the win over them isn't as impressive. I guess not. Win over Saints is better than win over us is for Tennessee.

16. Dallas - Just because they beat the team below them.

17. Tennessee - Beat a playoff team and lost to a non-playoff team convincingly.

18. Jets - Took it to Green Bay but barely beat the Raiders.

19. Baltimore - Going on reputation and fact they beat the team below them.

20. Steelers - Didn't look good in week two, but beat the team below them.

21. Browns - Won a game and went to overtime in the other, deserves above the rest.

22. Detroit - Looked good against a bad team, bad against a good (not great) team.

23. Minnesota - Beat the Rams convincingly and lost to a good team.

24. Washington - Last game has bigger weight than the Ram's win below them, due to QB change.

25. St. Louis - Won a game with all the injuries.

26. Indianapolis - Lost to playoff teams.

27. Saints - Reputation and closeness of the games put them above us.

28. Chiefs - Should have beaten Tennessee, good fight against Broncos. A win would have pushed KC up a lot.

29. New York Giants - Putting them here due to reputation of heating up later.

30. Oakland - Giving them a break due to rookie QB.

31. Jacksonville - Put up a fight to start Week 1, just not good enough.

32. Tampa Bay - Lost to playoff team and to badly injured team.

A million years ago I invented my own stat, the "power win percentage".  I was trying to find a mathematical method to determining spread outcomes.  Of course, I never did, but the stat was meaningful.  Quite simply for every team you beat you accumulate their wins.  for every loss you get their losses.  The values change as the season goes on.  The Chiefs would be 0-1 right now.  Suppose they lose to MIA and TEN loses again they would be 0-3.  

The values tended not to take meaning until week 4.  It was pretty difficult to maintain as I had to record the outcome of every game in a spreadsheet. 

A million years ago I invented my own stat, the "power win percentage". I was trying to find a mathematical method to determining spread outcomes. Of course, I never did, but the stat was meaningful. Quite simply for every team you beat you accumulate their wins. for every loss you get their losses. The values change as the season goes on. The Chiefs would be 0-1 right now. Suppose they lose to MIA and TEN loses again they would be 0-3.

The values tended not to take meaning until week 4. It was pretty difficult to maintain as I had to record the outcome of every game in a spreadsheet.

Interesting. I might adopt that sometime. I like excel and stats. I might figure out an easier way to compute it, but I'm sure you already have. It was just a lot of busy work. I'm interested how you applied that to spreads. Did other factors come in like home field and injuries, or was it based on the record? Was there a human aspect (judging impact of injuries or home field)?

Interesting. I might adopt that sometime. I like excel and stats. I might figure out an easier way to compute it, but I'm sure you already have. It was just a lot of busy work. I'm interested how you applied that to spreads. Did other factors come in like home field and injuries, or was it based on the record? Was there a human aspect (judging impact of injuries or home field)?

I tried to work out a difference the two teams and add the traditional 3 pts for the home team.  I'd compare that value to the actual spread and look for differences of more than a point or two as a starting point for games to examine.

I toggled between using the straight percentage times a multiplier and the difference of power wins and power losses.  I tried involving point differentials.  I could never come up with a formula that satisfied me.  

I've toyed with trying to developing something as a way of learning a new tool over the years, but never got around to it.  Maintaining it through a spreadsheet was quite a hassle.

Disclaimer: These "Rankings" are supposed to fluccuate, a bit OCD of me. Undefeated teams go before those who have lost. Who they beat matters. If they are playing someone who will "surely" beat them next week, I don't lower them prematurely; I'll wait for it to happen or a surprise. It'll all settle down by Week 17.

1. Arizona: They beat 2-1 playoff San Diego and NFCC Niners with a solid win over the only bad team (Giants).

2. Cincinnati: Beat a should've-been playoff team, a team who later scored 56, and the team who beat us.

3. Eagles: Beat no one but a Wild-Card team - and yes, I blame them for bad starts despite coming back.

4. Seattle: Will be top of the one game losers until they lose again. They are good and have the benefit of the doubt, and they beat Denver.

5. Denver: Only loss is in OT to the defending champions and beat two playoff teams, albeit barely.

6. San Diego: Beat Seattle and gave Buffalo their first loss (though, I expect plenty losses for the Bills, IMO). Only loss is to undefeated team.

7. Chicago: Beat San Francisco, that still counts as something.

8. New England: Dropping them out of the Top 8 is just bad for karma. Great coach and QB. Miami was a fluke. Oakland is a concern.

9. Atlanta: Beat New Orleans and 56 points against anyone is impressive. I think Cincinnati game was closer than the score looks. Reputation is less than New England, tie-breaker.

10. Carolina: I realized I skipped number 10 and I skipped Carolina, so I am assuming this is where I have them.

11. Ravens: Going a bit on reputation and division, but they beat Steelers and while they barely beat Cleveland, they did barely lose to undefeated Cincinnati. More consistency than Detroit, tiebreaker.

12. Detroit: Will drop in my opinion, but they beat the stupid Packers (I think they are good but stupid) and soundly beat the Giants.

13. Pittsburgh: Soundly beat Carolina who beat Detroit soundly. Packers game overcomes that (why Detroit is ahead of Pittsburgh).

14. Dallas: This is as low as I can drop them, as their only loss is to SF and they barely beat the Rams.

15. Buffalo: Beat Chicago and win against Miami was convincing. Loss to San Diego was expected and relatively close for awhile. Still hate from me?

16. Houston: Fitzpatrick is hot and cold. Any argument here placing them last of the 1-loss teams?

17. Indianapolis: Close losses and a solid win.

18. New Orleans: Losing the first two was inexcusable as our Titans loss, that's why they can't be above the other-two loss team ahead of them.

19. San Francisco: Chicago is a good team, Arizona is undefeated, and Dallas only has one loss. This is as far as I can drop the Niners, who will improve eventually.

20. Green Bay: Loss to Seattle is understandable, Detroit not so much, but it was a divisional game, A little bit of reputation is in play here, though that can be lost.

21. Kansas City: Homer vote, but I put them ahead of the rest. Any arguments here?

22. Miami: Beating New England still counts as something despite the duds after that win.

23. Cleveland: Beat New Orleans and was close in every other loss.

24. NY Jets: Defense is legit, losses were close, including a should-have-gone-to-Overtime loss against Green Bay. Consistency and improvement from Geno could push them to middle of the pack.

25. Washington: Having a healthy competent QB who can play well, helps.

26. Tennessee: Depending on Locker's health... sound familiar. It's a wrist this time. Beating us upset me but as a homer, gave me a tie-breaker.

27. NY Giants: Lost soundly, beat no one.

28. St. Louis: Doing well considering their injuries but loss to the Vikings stop them from being above anyone.

29. Minnesota: Injuries, suspension, and not do good. Beat St. Louis above them, but any arguments here? Bridgewater might raise them up a bit or not. Norv Turner is a help.

30. Oakland: Almost beat New England close loss to defense-led Jets.

31. Tampa Bay: 56 to a non-Peyton team, close loss to Carolina and Rams.

32. Jacksonville: Can't beat Tampa Bay's 56 points allowed but have been outscored 119-27 since their first half against Philadelphia. Bortles may raise them up or not. They don't have Andy Reid, Sean Payton, or Norv Turner, so it may be limited early.

Disclaimer: These "Rankings" are supposed to fluctuate a bit OCD of me. Undefeated teams go before those who have lost. Who they beat matters. 3-1 is better than 2-1. It'll all even out to 16 games. If they are playing someone who will "surely" lose next week, I wait for them to lose before dropping them. Or surprise! It'll all settle down by Week 17.

1. Arizona: Bye week preserved their spot. Win over SF still has some cache despite SF's struggles. Not a fan of your win over a team worsening the perception of the team you beat. Probably loses their spot this week, as they play Denver, but I hope I'm wrong!

2. Cincinnati: Haven't played anyone, but can't punish them for beating who they played. Have a chance to jump over Arizona, but I hope they don't; I want us to say we beat a good Pats team, not a bad one.

3. San Diego: This isn't even close in my mind. Beat Seattle and only loss was to undefeated Arizona. Seattle and Denver only played 3 games and the Chargers 4.

4. Dallas: Not predicting a loss this next game, but likely the highest they'll go. (Hater?) Win over NO still big despite the Saintss' struggles.

5. Philadelphia: The fact that their only loss was to SF works for them; their offense against SF doesn't. I don't give extra credit for comebacks in the first three games.

6. Detroit: Beat Green Bay and defense looks good. Loss early sucked for them. Loss to Carolina is worse than Eagles loss to SF both in team and scale.

7. Baltimore: Beat no one and lost big opener. Win over Carolina keeps them ahead of Houston. Happy for Ute Steve Smith.

8. Houston: Beat no one and barely beat Buffalo (worse than their record).

9. Seattle: My actual first ranked team, will move up when others lose - unless Seattle loses again. Bye week hurt, as they have only 2 wins.

10. Denver: My actual second ranked team, will move up unless they lose. Head to head game with Seattle drops them.

11. Indianapolis: Losses were to good to great teams, big wins over the rest.

12. Green Bay: Reputation precedes them, beat Chicago, too.

13. Chicago: Up and down team who seemingly either wins games or is blown out. Beat San Francisco at home (though their stadium is not established).

14. Niners: No way am I ranking them lower than us the week we play them. Also, their defense of Eagles was great enough to break the perception of them being worse than they are.

15. Kansas City - Soundly beat New England, who is still a good team, at least average, to make up for opening loss (why they are not earlier on this list). Beat Miami convincingly.

16. New England - Despite all the media, this is as low as I could put them. I would have put them higher if their loss was to other teams than us. We have to be higher if we beat them. Reputation calls for a bounce-back.

17. New York Giants: Might be turning things around. Might be schedule only. On a win streak.

18. Atlanta: Don't like being behind the Giants? Fix it this week. Losing to a rookie QB without AP doesn't help.

19. Miami: I don't know. This is the only team I couldn't really place.

20. Carolina: Up and down team missing Steve Smith this year (though long-term I can see why they moved on).

21. Steelers: Despite their loss to a dweller team, reputation keeps them from falling further. Jacksonville should help keep them here of higher, but another loss to this level team, even with an up and coming rookie QB would be cause for being bottom of the 2-3 teams.

22. Minnesota: Might climb this list if Bridgewater can beat Rodgers. Betting on Green Bay. Beating Atlanta was a good step, though Atlanta is not as good as they looked beating Tampa. (Shouldn't this put them above Atlanta? They beat the Atlanta who beat Tampa Bay who beat the Steelers.) But Atlanta beat New Orleans - needs to win to keep their reputation.

23. Buffalo - Lost to Houston and who really believes in Buffalo? Not even their coach, who changed QBs. Fitzpatrick can sympathize. Anyone see his pre-game speech?

24. Cleveland: All loses are close and they beat New Orleans, something everyone is doing these days.

25. St. Louis: Bye week stopped them from dropping down. I feel bad for their QB situation. Even if Davis or Hill do well relatively, they didn't plan for this... or did they?

26. New Orleans: Underachievers, but anyone have an argument why they shouldn't be tops of the 1-3 teams? The Saints are the Giants, Falcons, and Texans of last year.

27. NY Jets: Defense keeps them from dropping, offense keeps them from rising.

28. Washington: Bad streak, but I put them ahead of the next two if Cousins can turn off the INT machine or RGIII gets healthy (not this week).

29. Tennessee: Whisenhunt will turn it around, but until he does, his win over us will be the only reason they aren't even lower.

30. Tampa Bay: Yes, they beat the Steelers. No, they are not better than the other 27, yet at least. Underachievers? (I know they aren't 56 points bad, either.)

31. Jacksonville: Were competitive in Week 1 against the Eagles. Oakland was too, against New England, but new coach breaks the tie. Also, Bortles started off well and should improve. Carr, too... but again, tie-breaker.

32. Oakland - New coaching staff and bad already.

Disclaimer: These "Rankings" are supposed to fluctuate a bit OCD of me. Undefeated teams go before those who have lost. Who they beat matters. 4-1 is better than 3-1, 2-2 > 2-3 regardless of head-to-head. It'll all even out to 16 games. If they are playing someone who will "surely" lose next week, I wait for them to lose before dropping them. Or surprise! It'll all settle down by Week 17.

1. San Diego - Beat Seattle and have won the last four convincingly. One point loss from undefeated.
2. Dallas - Read the disclaimer. Barely beat the Rams, but beat New Orleans.
3. Philadelphia - Only loss was to a great defense of San Francisco, but close wins over bad teams doesn't impress.
4. Seattle - Loss to San Diego cost them so far, but they're rising.
5. Denver - Beat Arizona and lost to Seattle, sound right to be between them?
6. Arizona - Stayed close with Denver for awhile, beat San Diego and San Francisco.
7. Cincinnati - Huge loss to washed up team... Or is that only when the Chiefs beat them? Beat nobodies but great defense in first three.
8. San Francisco - Niners defense is more impressive than Indy's two week offense. Bad start might behind them.
9. Indianapolis - Beat nobodies, but soundly; losses close to 1-loss Denver and Eagles.
10. Green Bay - Both Indy and Packers lost games early - Packers losses were bigger.
11. New England - Took it to the Bengals' defense. Ranking them high helps us, right?
12. New York Giants - A little high, but three in a row has to count for something, eh? 
13. Baltimore - Three year reputation at work here, only losses were to 1-loss Bengals and Indy.
14. Pittsburgh - Despite loss to Tampa Bay, who they've lost to and beat are closer losses and bigger wins that Carolina or Buffalo.

15. Houston - Surprise team, didn't know where to put them.
16. Buffalo - Reverse Haterade? Losses weren't bad and wins over Chicago and Detroit were good.
17. Carolina - Losses were too big to overcome the close wins (Chicago, Tampa Bay).
18. Detroit - Defense should rank them higher but they lost to the teams above them (Carolina and Buffalo).
19. Cleveland - Close losses and good wins. Bye week hurt them last week but keeps them ahead of 2-3 teams.
20. Miami - Bye week helps and so did playing Oakland as a "road game."
21. Kansas City - Yes, we beat #20, but that's what we get for losing the opener - NE win puts us tops of the 2-3 teams - bye week hurts.
22. Chicago - Beat San Francisco and New Orleans but back to back losses drop them this far.
23. New Orleans - Barely beating Tampa Bay and Minnesota doesn't make up for close losses - reputation helps.
24. Minnesota - Lost big to Green Bay but beat Atlanta and lost to New Orleans - sensible placement, huh?
25. Atlanta - Few duds after that win over Tampa Bay - bad coaching?
26. St. Louis - Losing but playing close with backup, rookie QB.
27. Tampa Bay - Whodathunk? While big loss was big, all other games were close and one win.
28. Tennessee - Soo close to 2-3 and beat us but two blow-outs.
29. Washington - Two blow-outs, two double digit losses, and one big win.
30. New York Jets - De-fense can't save now, de-fense can't save them now.
31. Raiders - Saved by the bye: 4 losses are better than 5 and played NE close.
32. Jacksonville - Probably better than this, but record speaks for itself. Out scored 169 to 50 since first half of first game.

You keep using the word "reputation" in describing the Ravens.

Ravens offense is 10th in Total Offense using Yds per game- something you hardly ever see.

New Orleans isn't that good right now so Dallas beating them is not shocker.

I guess I put John Harbaugh higher than I should? All those AFCC appearances and the Super Bowl win is why I use that word.

Sean Payton and Brees are why, of course, I overvalued the Saints. They are running out of room, though. And I was more trying to justify Philadelphia as third over second.

I think Baltimore should be in the 10th spot, but that's me I guess. Other than that, I'm not sure if I like the rank by wins approach, but its not bad.

That's why I posted this on a message board, not a sports blog; it's just an experiment or journal-like excercise of the ups and downs of an NFL season and strength of schedule.

Disclaimer: These "Rankings" are supposed to fluctuate a bit OCD of me. Undefeated teams go before those who have lost. Who they beat matters. 4-1 is better than 3-1, 2-2 > 2-3 regardless of head-to-head. It'll all even out to 16 games. If they are playing someone who will "surely" lose next week, I wait for them to lose before dropping them. Or surprise! It'll all settle down by Week 17.

1. San Diego - I was tempted to put Dallas first because they just beat Seattle but guess who else beat the Seahawks?
2. Dallas - This win should keep them high relative to their record even if they free-fall.
3. Philadelphia - Yes, they shut out the Giants - First game they won without a bad offensive first half. Having no bye allowed them to get five wins before Denver.
4. Denver - One good drive away from overtime to the Jets - Instead, a pick six. Credit to the defense and Geno. OT loss to Seattle only.
5. Arizona - Beat SF and Chargers, only loss to Denver - Yep, pretty good so far.
6. Indianapolis - Barely beat Houston, lost to good teams. Beat bad teams big.
7. San Francisco - Close wins, two score losses, but defense and running team playing well again. Big comeback.
8. New England - Beat Cincinnati soundly and looked much better against Buffalo than early season.
9. Green Bay - Haven't beaten anyone and almost lost to Jets and Miami. 8 and 20 point losses.
10. Baltimore - Haven't beat anyone yet, just feel better about them than Lions, though we all saw what Tampa Bay made Atlanta look.
11. Detroit - Great defense, capable offense, beat Green Bay. Losses are worse than Packers' losses and gut feeling puts them below Ravens.
12. Cincinnati - Dalton is so up and down that a tie seemed apt - played alright, but his team earned the tie (made up for his mistakes).
13. Seattle - Dallas loss drops them from first to 6th at best. Bye week drops them from 6th to 14th - will fix my system next year. Would have put them above Eagles had they beat Dallas despite bye week.
14. Cleveland - All losses close, all wins are impressive. Bye week last week prevented a jump or a drop.
15. Carolina - Should be 3-3, but aren't. I feel they've underachieved, lucking out in a missed chip-in evens it out a bit.
16. Chicago - Convincing win over Atlanta continues the ups and downs. This week, up.
17. Houston - Losses are close, beat Buffalo below them.
18. Buffalo - Beat Chicago, hung in there with New England until fourth quarter. Lost to Houston above them.
19. Pittsburgh - Disappointing team with disappointing loss to rising team. Still better outing than Giants.
20. New York Giants - Thought they were too high lately due to my system - so a bit of a make-up plus shut-out lands them here.
21. Kansas City - Besides opener, close losses to good to great teams, wins head to head over Miami.
22. Miami - Beat New England, routed Raiders, and lost in last minute to Green Bay - puts them ahead of disappointing Saints.
23. New Orleans - Close win kept them from falling lower, but how close it was stopped them from being in the 21st spot.
24. Atlanta - Just seems like they should be higher than Tennessee and Minnesota.
25. Tennessee - Will give Whisenhunt the benefit of the doubt and feel they'd be higher with Locker.
26. Minnesota - Bridgewater is rookie and tipped INTs don't help.
27. St. Louis - Played well with backups but losing can't let them rise. Just like Jaguars against Eagles in opener, couldn't add to great start.
28. Washington - Kept it close against good defense, Kirk Cousins gave it away. Haven't seen the INT, so I reserve true judgment on Cousins.
29. New York Jets - Outcome was never in doubt, but game closer than score - defense is pretty stout.
30. Tampa Bay - Played it tough last two weeks before this, but can't get away from another huge blowout.
31. Raiders - One drive away from upset. Competitive with rookie QB. 0-5 > 0-6.
32. Jacksonville - Lost to a struggling team with a backup QB + 0-6 < 0-5.

1. Cowboys - Highest win total until they lose or the bye week.
2. Broncos - Thoroughly beat a good Niners team.
3. Arizona - Still beat more somebody's than the Eagles and more convincing wins over nobody's.
4. Philadelphia - Bye week hurt their chances of joining Dallas here, but it also saved a drop. Am I being a hater or is it just for them to be last of the one loss teams?
5. Indianapolis - 5 game winning streak is second longest in the league. While Bengals may be playing poorly, a shutout in the NFL is tough.
6. Green Bay - Relaxed 4 game winning streak, made up for near loss to Miami with blowout of former playoff team.
7. New England - Nice (expected) bounce-back. Where are the doom articles? Blocked punt saved loss but pushed them behind GB (shouldn't have been so close).
8. San Diego - Seattle win is becoming less and less of a big deal, though Seattle is still good. Other teams the Chargers played, they lost or beat bad teams, sometimes close until the end.
9. Baltimore - Haven't really beaten anyone, but wins have been convincing and losses to good teams close. 3 game winning streak.
10. Lions - Great defense but they keep having close games. Offense without healthy Calvin Johnson is lacking something.
11. Cincinnati - Here by default due to tie > loss and bye week preventing loss. Will revisit system next year.
12. Niners - Big loss to Denver - While Denver is good, we lost only by 7. Some of it is them, not just Denver or venue.
13. Pittsburgh - A little bit default, but I feel better about them than Buffalo.
14. Buffalo - Worst example in my experimental system - should even out soon - Winning with the backup.
15. Carolina - Same boat as Cincinnati - tie > loss. System review next year.
16. Seattle - Underachieving - Last week that I give them the benefit of the doubt. Tie-breaker: Bad luck to rank them lower than us before we play them.
17. Kansas City - See above - No way I rank us higher than them before we play them unless Seattle drops another.
18. Miami - Big win over Chicago, but inconsistent and has to be below us head to head.
19. Cleveland - Likeabilty factor between Hoyer and Manziel produced premature celebration.
20. Chicago - Up and down team capable of beating the best and losing to regular teams.
21. Houston - Plays everyone close win lose or draw, has to count for at least a tie-breaker over sometimes blown out Giants.
22. Giants - Three game winning streak seems so long ago, completed the LLWWLL sandwich symmetrically.
23. St. Louis - Sort of like Houston - plays everyone close and actually beat someone, albeit a struggling Seattle team. All with a third string rookie.
24. New Orleans - would have given them the benefit of the doubt like Seattle had I not kept giving it to them in prior weeks. You have to win these ones.
25. Tennessee - Close losses recently and should be better with Locker when he's back.
26. Minnesota - As Bridgewater gets experience, they should improve. Most games are close.
27. Washington - Won a game recently and are closer than Atlanta has been.
28. Atlanta - When not beating up on Tampa Bay, they have been hopeless and not particularly close. A New Orleans win is no longer as significant.
29. Tampa Bay - Consistently losing, but losing margin inconsistent. Not always close like above teams.
30. New York Jets - Played San Diego and Patriots tough back to back.
31. Jacksonville - One win doesn't save them from their blowout losses.
32. Oakland - Worst record team, winless with a bye week (could have been worse or better).

I need your help!

I'm thinking about calling an audible. Ties are now losses. There's no reason why Cincinnati and Carolina have to be locked in above the 3 loss teams, right? Or no?

You may not like my system, but I'm experimenting. I figured out that bye weeks have too much influence, good or bad, but I can't presume a loss or a win to make the total games played even. I could go by wins, but then, 6 out of 7 games is better than 5 out of 6, even though the latter had a bye and no opportunity to make it 6 out of 7 - but they could easily be 5 out of 7, too.

Related: I Excelled this out to make the most recent ranking weighed more than the previous ones, thus making Week 1 loss not so damning. (W1*1) + (W2*2) + etc. Will release the final rankings after Week 17.

The Chiefs behind Cincinnati in the Power Rankings?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2014/week/8

Sure, 3-2-1 is better than 3-3 but who bases their rankings on record?!!! Just kidding, a little sarcasm making fun of my rankings above.

BTW, anyone have any input on ties mentioned in the above post?

Archived